Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pros & cons: cable/pully steering VS Rack & Pinion

Pros & cons: cable/pully steering VS Rack & Pinion 13 years 8 months ago #23956

I'm thinking about sticking with my original cable and pulley steering system.

Before I settle on it, what do you guys think?

It isn't a matter of money but it may retain the original "feel" for the boat's 1960s handling and look.

What are the pros and cons between cable/pulley steering VS Uflex and Teleflex style Rack & Pinion?

Is there safety issues with the cable and pulley system? Or is the rack and pinion just a new fangled way of doing it? lol ;)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Re: Pros & cons: cable/pully steering VS Rack & Pinion 13 years 8 months ago #23958

There is nothing wrong with the " tiller cable " system.
You need to use quality components like " tller cable " and not clothes line that looks the same.

Re: Pros & cons: cable/pully steering VS Rack & Pinion 13 years 8 months ago #23968

professor wrote:

You need to use quality components like " tller cable " and not clothes line that looks the same.

TILLER CABLE. Thanks. Now I have a name for it.

I've read over a few sites and decided its definately the one I'm sticking with.

Thanks again! :)

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Re: Pros & cons: cable/pully steering VS Rack & Pinion 13 years 8 months ago #23970

You asked, so I'll toss my hat in here. At speeds below 15 mph, (which is just off-plane for most boats) cable & pully is swell. It is simple, original to many boats, nice and smooth, and you can use one finger to steer the boat.

At speeds above that, the system starts to be affected by a factor known as "torque steer". The faster you go, the worse it is. You will have to fight the torque of the propeller by pulling on the steering wheel in the opposite direction. If you let go of the wheel, the boat is likely to zoom off course, much like a car that has a severe wheel alignment issue. Without a doubt, that event would pose a safety issue. Different boat & motor combos will have varied degrees of torque steer; some worse than others. An adjustible tab on an outboard will be of little or no help. If you don't mind fighting the wheel - its fine.

Push - pull systems are nothing new. Keikheafer started using them way back in the late 50s. They are better and safer - regardless of what anybody may claim. There is a reason the cable & pully system became obsolete in the 60s. Rack and pinion steering isn't the only option. You could also use a rotary helm, which is what I prefer. Either of these systems can be used in a boat that has the room behind the dash for the mechanisim. If you are clever, the old bezel and steering wheel can be used or modified to work with the new helm. That is how I do it. No plastic "smurf" wheels for my boats.

To be fair, torque steer will also happen to push pull systems. This is why "no feedback" systems have been popular as late. I put one on my Reinell, and it is amazing. Set the wheel & don't mess with it. The only complaint I & many people have is that the wheel can feel a bit stiff to turn. I'm getting used to it, and would never go back.

Keep in mind that I'm coming from a performance standpoint, and if I was doing a concourse restoration, I'd keep it original.
Attachments:

Re: Pros & cons: cable/pully steering VS Rack & Pinion 13 years 8 months ago #24057

I have to comment about the torque steering. I don't have any issues with my setup at up to full throttle. I have a 14' boat with 65 horse motor. There is some feedback as you accelerate but I can't think of a time when you shouldn't be holding the steering wheel when you give it full throttle. I can hold it with one finger. Maybe I have an unusual setup but I doubt it. I can't go faster than 40 mph.

Re: Pros & cons: cable/pully steering VS Rack & Pinion 13 years 8 months ago #24077

professor wrote:

You need to use quality components like " tiller cable " and not clothes line that looks the same.

Or...just go to your local Hardware story and get a 50ft Poly covered dog metal K-9 tie out cable, and save some $$.

I kind of remember a little miscue I did with the funliner, where I cut my cable "a-tad" to short, so to take up the "slack" where the cable came in to the stern pocket and ran to the pulley on the motor then to the anchor and spring I added two more springs at the pulleys on the motor thinking more would be better...wrong.

Polly metal cable, with pulley's and springs will suffice unless your running a big horsepower motor and over all is easier to maintain because most if not all the parts of it are at your local hardware store, time tested and mother approved.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6724 guests and one member online