Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need Help

Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #23899

I was wondering if anyone has a good way of freeing up motors. I have a mark 55e and i tried penetrating oil but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #23900

Marvel Mystery oil, lots of it. Pull the lower end it might be frozen and not the block.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #23901

i pulled the lower end it was free i have the block tore down completely i just cant get it to free up

Re:Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #23902

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes Marvel
Let it soak. Don't force anything. Let it help you by doing its job.
Patience. Dont get heavy handed and break, bend, or destroy things that will cost later.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #23904

which product is the right one?

Re:Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #23907

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm sorry.
As Daveswaves posted, it is Marvel Mystery Oil.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #23908

i went on theyre website and one is for adding to fuel and the other is air tool oil im guesing the one you are talking about is the one you add to the gas? would this mean id just pour it into the cylinder?

Re:Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #23910

Here on the Gulf Coast with rust, and also working with old restaurant equ that Noah use on the ark I have found something that works better that anything that you can buy from any store....Problem is not to many places sell it so you may have to order it Shamrock's S'OK

Let it do it's thing for a few days, if the unit is stuck still spray again and do once a day for a few days.

I have then if the piston it still stuck I take an old spark plug, break the glass off drill a hole through the plug; and weld a 1/8 pipe nibble to it

Then I screw a grease cert to the nibble...I put the plug in to the cyl and pump grease in pushing the piston out good even pressure no beating anything up

www.shamrockspecialties.net/SOK.htm

www.alexgs.com/product/shamrock-s-ok-pt.html

CAVU

Re:Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #23912

sound like a good idea ill take it up with my dad see what he says about it. Thanks

Re:Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #23915

Thats right, the air tool oil is something new out. The add to the gas one can be added to the engine oil as well and has been used for years to free up stuck rings etc.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #23916

If you can't get the crank out do this. Carefully drill out the connecting rod bolts.
Now you can remove the crankshaft.
Now you can work on the pistons one at a time.

Re:Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #23945

Professor is on the money (as usual). Those 4-holer Mercs can be a pain to free up if they're stuck bad. Usually, you can reach one or two of the rods enough to get at the nuts on the under side of the bolts. Remove what you can and then work on the ones you can't. I have a brass dowel that fits through the spark plug holes. I set the block, crank side down, on a jig in a hydraulic bench press. Using the dowel, I press the stuck pistons out, sometimes alternating each one a little at a time as you don't want to torque the crankshaft. Work them out slowly. The jig allows space under the block for the pistons/rods/crank to move as they come out. Once you can access any/all of the nuts on the rod bolts, remove them. Once you get the crankshaft out of the way, the pistons are much easier to punch out with the dowel - just drive them out. Continue to work slowly, as if the dowel slips, it can damage the plug threads. Make sure the dowel has a flat tip so as to avoid damaging the piston crown. DO NOT beat on them or you will damage the pistons and plug threads.

I have a bunch of Mark 55 powerhead parts here, including a crank, some rods and I think a serviceable block if it comes down to that...

- Scott

Re:Need Help 13 years 8 months ago #24046

Thanks everyone for the ideas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6618 guests and 2 members online