Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anthony J boats

Anthony J boats 13 years 8 months ago #23777

I recently found an Anthony J boat which I am considering purchasing and am looking for information on them. The present owner stated they were made in California and only a few of them were manufactured. Any suggestions where to find more information on them. The boat is currently located on the east coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 8 months ago #23786

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Riversuper. If you will click the button in the toolbar above labeled Glassic Library, there is some info there on the Anthony boat line, here's a link to help:
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Anthony
You can also use the Search Forum box and type in Anthony to find all related posts in the forum on any particular subject. (I remember a few turning up here and there thru the last few years.)

Mark

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 8 months ago #23797

I know the boat.Its 4sale with 3 50 hp motors. It was on ebay last month for $750. It didnt sell so he doubled the price???? The original owner wanted to restore the boat, but it was too much money and tomany trim pieces missing

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 8 months ago #23809

Is is a Anthony Jetstar? Never have known of just a J model.

The Jetstar is a great boat if restored correctly. It has a stepped hull design and was quite fast.

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 8 months ago #23837

Thanks for the info. Yes that is the boat. Do you know any of the history of the boat? I'm going to look at it on Friday. He stated in the ad that it was a barn find, any idea if there are any major problems with the boat?

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 8 months ago #23842

I had an Anthony Jetstar 14' for a few years. There is also a Jetcat. Fast but hard riding, so I sold it. It found its way from California to New Jersey.
Attachments:

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 8 months ago #23843

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Looks fast just sitting on the trailer.

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 8 months ago #23860

Maybe this is your old boat, it has been sitting a long time. There are not a lot of them around. I used to have one with a Merc 65 HP on it. It was way underpowered. I hit a large wake from a tour boat and split the bottom wide open. I looked at this one this summer at the old Northwood boat yard now Katz Marine. It would have been a really nice project. The gentleman who owned it brought it to the boat yard for an estimate to have it restored. If I remember right it was over 20 grand. Katz marine Restores old chris crafts for boat shows.

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 6 months ago #28513

That 15 foot Jet-Star is only the second 3-point bottom Anthony I have ever seen. Where have they all disappeared (or biodegraded) to? Or maybe they just didn't make that many. I recently purchased a 16 foot Jet-Cat for a future restoration. My hull is good/clean but all bottom stringers and plywood floor need replacing.

My first connection with an Anthony 3-pointer was in 1960 or '61 when I got a ride in a new 15 foot Jet-Star; boy, did it ever impress this 'kid'! :)
Attachments:

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 6 months ago #28518

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Good score Randy!! I contacted Marty this morning only to find he had sold it already. Good luck with the restoration.

Melanie

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 6 months ago #28523

There is an Anthony sitting in the weeds behind a carpet store on highway 53 (old highway) between Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls, WI. Been there for years.

Andreas

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 6 months ago #28575

Thanks for the 'find' Andreas. It almost looks like the Starfire 14 (13'-5" long). If you get by the boat again sometime could you report on the condition and what it would be available for.

Thanks,
Randy (WA State)

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 5 months ago #29652

Well, I'm beginning to think about the bottom stringer repairs on my 16' Anthony Jetcat. I will probably replace them one at a time to allow the hull to maintain its' shape on the trailer. Otherwise, if I was to take them all out at once, I would have to build a cradle to hold the bottom shape.

When replacing a longitudinal stringer are they fitted up hard to the bottom for it's entire length, or should they be raised off the bottom with a 'soft' spacer to keep from forming a hardspot (line) for it's entire length? I can see the glass holding them in place as adding strength. I would also include limber holes spaced along each length to keep water from being trapped between each of the stringer lengths, plus include a few lift-out access plates to sponge out water.

This my first attempt at a fiberglass restoration,

Randy

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 5 months ago #29653

I am a previous owner of your Anthony. Unless the anthony is tilted very high in the bow water will stay in the sponsons if water gets under the floor. The Anthony originally sealed the whole floor so no water would get under the floor. Notice not much for drain plugs under the floor. The Anthony has 7 stringers which makes for a very strong floor. I personally would have added wood between the fiberglass rib sections and fiberglassed over the full length of the stringers. You also could foam under the floor. There is a lot of debate on foaming. Clint

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 5 months ago #29821

Hello Clint,

When the time comes I will probably install a few transverse chocks between the longitudinal stringers to increase strength. I would not choose to foam below the floor as it could trap moisture and promote more rot.

Do you know the transom history -- Marty said it had been replaced by the previous owner, but when I was cleaning and drying out the boat I noticed that at the transom where it meets the bottom the wood looked pretty deteriorated. I wonder how far up that rot goes -- will just have explore I guess.

When the floor goes down I will install a few of the 'almost watertight' threaded hand-size plastic access plates (they work pretty well on sailing dinghys). Two of these will be over the low point with the sponsons.

Got some other projects before I start in full time, but at least she is clean and drying out for now. Thanks for any history you can provide,

Randy

Re:Anthony J boats 13 years 5 months ago #29858

send me an e-mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I will send you some pictures. What I know about the history is that the boat was bought in Bellingham by a collector of boats and motors and it sat outside with a tarp over it. The tarp let water in on the left side and the floor raised and let water in. That's the reason the stringers are worse on the port side of the boat. I don't know who did the transom work, but it is apperant that they only replaced it down to the floor. Boat had a 75Hp Evinrude short shaft. i kept it inside from last summer til Marty bouht the boat so it should be fairly dry. They came as both short and long shaft transoms. Clint i

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6335 guests and 2 members online