• Page:

TOPIC: Success!

Success! 13 years 8 months ago #23444

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
In addition to working on the Glasspar seats this week, I've been tinkering with the motor. It came with a 1959 Evinrude Starflite. I thought all was lost when I did a compression test, and found low compression in 2 cylinders, and ZERO in one of them. But, after being encouraged by several people on the board not to give up on it yet, and by digging a little deeper, I found that it had a blown head gasket.

After replacing the gasket, and soaking the other cylinders for a while to loosen up the rings, I got decent compression in all 4 cylinders (95+ psi). So, I took apart & cleaned the carbs, replaced the fuel lines, and cleaned up the rotor and points. Before spending any more time and money on it, I decided to see if it would fire-

And, It DID!

I only let it run for that brief period before killing it- I'm sure that after well over a decade of sitting the impeller is toast. But, I wanted to see it fire before I spent the money on a new one... I'd hate to keep dropping money into it if there was some major problem that was going to keep it from running.

Buy some oil company stock :)

-Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Success! 13 years 8 months ago #23448

Andrew,
Congrats, great job. You'll love the sound of that thing when you let it run and throttle it up. I love the sound of mine and it pushes the ole' Clipper rather nicely. I still haven't checked the compression now that I've run her a few times. Need to do that to see if the rings came free. I used Seafoam in three tanks of gas so should have worked. I replaced the impellor first thing. I still have to see if the lower unit seals need replacement. Haven't drained the lube to see if there's water yet. Waiting for it to warm up a little since it's in the shed and no heat in there.

Sorry, rambling. It's a great motor I think you'll like it.

Bob

Re:Success! 13 years 8 months ago #23453

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
CONGRATS, always can hear good news.. One of our best motor experts "CHINEWALKER" , will say OMC's need a high water level up the mid-section for initial suck / pump up into the power head, Then can run in gear , normal cav plate level with bottom of hull.

Re:Success! 13 years 8 months ago #23470

I know I just love the sound of my Fat Fifty.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6594 guests and 2 members online