Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Custom Craft Sea Ray

Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #22883

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Finally got my new project home this evening, too dark to get any pics so I'll post the ones that were in the ad in the Glassifieds. It's definitely a project boat, but I'm enthusiastic about getting a closed bow runabout, with fins! (Stubby, but they're there.) Jon A delivered it to me at work yesterday, but I had to get the lights working on the trailer before towing it home as it gets dark before I get there. She pulled like a dream down the highway, but the shocks are shot so a little bouncy. I hope to get the trash cleaned out this weekend, and find a hull ID# somewhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:1960 Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #22887

Wow... That's a good looking project Mark! Can't wait to see the progress on it.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:1960 Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #22891

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice!

I'm a big fan of the Custom Craft monohulls- They've got such cool lines. I've got a '62 Tiger ray in the basement patiently awaiting a restoration.

You're likely to find the ID # on the aluminum transom plate, IF it's still there... It'll be stamped on there. It'll be interesting to add it to the 'archives' over at nickel city classics- Especially to see it fits in the 'sequence'...

-Andrew

Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #22892

• MarkS
Thanks Doug, I fell in love with the lines of this boat when I first saw it. It's going to take a lot of work, needs some fiberglass repairs and a transom for sure. I don't have any experience with either, so get ready for a lot of questions!

Jon and I looked all over the transom Andrew, we couldn't find any numbers anywhere. It looks to be the original trim pieces back there, but who knows. It may turn up after a good cleaning, the old girl is pretty nasty.

The Holsclaw still has an ID plate on the winch stand, I've never seen one like it before. It give model number, weight ratings with various tire/wheel combos, but didn't see a serial number on it either. Investigation time.

Mark

Re:1960 Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #22895

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Another one saved.
Go, Mark, Go. :)
Plans for propulsion.......perhaps black??
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1960 Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #22896

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
CONGRATS, Always liked the color of that rig, cant wait for a pic when you get a section polished. . Think you need a quick cover for Sunday night , weatherman sending more SNOW YOUR REGION.?

In your transom picture IF the 14" center Cap Plate was delivered to you , that is where MFG ID is Indented.? Small 1/8 " #'s imbossed in right , Inside edge , Up Side down. . LOts of scratches over the years may need fine emery paper , or look at glancing angle. Maybe format 10-11-0123 - SR

Re:1960 Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #22914

Hope you find some numbers.

This is what they looked like on Cheryl's boat:

Yours looks like a little later model.

Can't wait to see some more pics...

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #22920

• MarkS

Plans for propulsion.......perhaps black??

Not sure yet Neil, I plan to get the boat and trailer done first. It's going to be a long project, lots of work to do, and have very limited funds to work with.

Think you need a quick cover for Sunday night , weatherman sending more SNOW YOUR REGION.?

That's second on the "to do list" Larry. First is clean out the junk and make a dump run, then get a cover over it by tomorrow. (They're now calling for 5-8" of snow here, changing over to freezing rain and sleet Monday morning!)

Hope you find some numbers.

Thanks Dave, I'll post them on NCC when/if I do. I hope to check her over better today after clean-out, maybe get some better pics.

Mark

Re:1960 Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #22921

wow mark!that looks great ,very nice lines to it.
welcome to the custom craft club my friend,i really like that boat,very cool,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1962(?) Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #22941

• MarkS
Thanks John, it's gonna take a ton of work but I think it will be worth it. (To me, anyway!) Found the ID# and took some pics this morning;

Mark

Re:1960 Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #22943

mark,it definatly will be worth it,i love the lines,i could have alot of fun painting that boat,2 or 3 tone.
that hardware is the same as on the sunray,i see the bowlight on ebay alot,thats where we got ours.
wefco carries a white rubrail that fit the sunray pretty good and would probably fit yours too.
if you need a new steering wheel i have one,its the one i painted blue,but i can paint it any color you want,if you want it let me know and its yours for free,john
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #23029

• MarkS
Thanks for the info on the bow light and rub rail John, and the offer for the steering wheel. You've already been too kind-hearted to me, and it will be some time before I get to the point of needing a wheel. The inspection and assessment process is kinda on hold right now, as you can see below! (That's not snow, it' sleet, which is being followed by relentless freezing rain.) I'm not about to move the Glastron outside in this mess, so the CC will just have to wait patiently. LOL
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #23030

Mess?...What mess?...That looks like the frost in the morning up here...lol...

Get to work... ;)

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #23107

Mark,
Sorry a little late to the game here but very nice on that boat. I too can't wait to see this one come along. I'm sure she'll be stunning once your done with her.

Bob

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 8 months ago #23133

• MarkS
Thanks for the vote of confidence Bob. I'm looking forward to getting started, but this one's gonna take a while. Hope she turns out the way she deserves to! ;) (You know how sometimes one just feels right for ya the first time you see it?)

Mark

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #25019

• MarkS
Finally got the CCSR moved into the garage, time to get "down and dirty". I like being able to work on the Merc a while, and move over to working on the boat when it gets a little tiresome or waiting for parts. (Just gotta remember to cover the motor when creating dust, etc.)
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #25024

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
M: Good deal .. Valentine's Day Bath tomorrow..? Mid 60's temps all week . Got some wax on my new Brown baby. Interior varnish on Monday. . Yes I have motor check out also to evaluate. Title coming Snail mail, BUT also a engine parts manual (?).

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #25027

Mark,
Glad you could get her into the garage to work on. I like the idea of being able to go back and forth between the tower and the boat. By the way, you've got mail.

Bob

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #25060

mark,i cant wait to see thexprogress thread on this.
and by the way i cant find those bow light lens,i have looked all over the house ,basement and garage,but ill keep looking,they have to be here somewhere,lol,john p.s. i hope you dont mind a little advice,but i would block up the front of the tongue while your working on the inside,we had the sunrays brand new trailer jack bend sideways from to much movement and it was a 1000 lb jack,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #25072

• MarkS
Larry - Yes, a bath is definitely in order as soon as I get the "crud" all scooped out of the inside. Probably won't happen until the weekend though.....

Thanks Bob. ;)

John wrote;

i hope you dont mind a little advice,but i would block up the front of the tongue while your working on the inside

I ALWAYS appreciate advise John, thanks. I have a jack stand under the tounge if I'm climbing inside, no way I'm going to trust that rusty old trailer jack! LOL It's in worse shape than I am. LOL

Mark

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #25075

MarkS wrote:

Larry - Yes, a bath is definitely in order as soon as I get the "crud" all scooped out of the inside. Probably won't happen until the weekend though.....

Thanks Bob. ;)

John wrote;

i hope you dont mind a little advice,but i would block up the front of the tongue while your working on the inside

I ALWAYS appreciate advise John, thanks. I have a jack stand under the tounge if I'm climbing inside, no way I'm going to trust that rusty old trailer jack! LOL It's in worse shape than I am. LOL

One thing I usually do if I'm working inside one is to drop the tongue to the ground and place two jackstands under the back of the trailer, then raise the toungue up and place a jack stand under it so the boat sits level or however I want. That way it takes some of the weight off the tires/springs so it doesn't rock back and forth all the time.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #25076

Mark, where did you get that big old merc?!?

Frank

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #25112

• MarkS
Good idea Doug, when I get her washed and back inside I'll prop her up on three jack stands. I did notice the shocks are so bad the whole boat bounces when you're in there walking around. (Plus the floor feels like a trampoline, I'll post some pics this weekend to show you why hopefully.)

I got lucky (for a change) on Craigs List and found the Merc about 60 miles from home Frank. There's a thread in the Merc forum on the acquisition and first evaluation on my motor; www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/mercury-outpost/merc-1000-on-cl-what-do-you-think

Mark

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #26410

• MarkS
Finally got a chance to finish cleaning her out, got most of the junk hardware off the transom; Fiberglass repairs needed

Mark

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #26411

• MarkS
And some structure issues inside the transom; I would welcome some advise here on how to proceed with transom replacement. I know the deck should be pulled off, but with that much damage on the outside, I'm beginning to wonder???
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #26421

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Looks like you're making some progress! You are almost to the stage where you'll step back, and say "What the HELL did I get myself into?" then, you'll get a bit farther along, and realize that it's all worth it :)

I can see a lot of similarities between that boat and my Custom Craft (a Tiger Ray), in the construction, as well as in the repairs that she's going to need- They are (were) even the same color! Though yours looks a bit worse off than mine in a few places.

It looks like a cap removal might be in order- It appears that the transom is going to need some repairs and probably some reinforcement. It seems that a lot of custom crafts were kind of underbuilt- they had some VERY complicated hull shapes, which were probably tough to build 'right'. I also think that a chop gun was used on a lot of them, rather than hand layup, due to the complexity of the hulls.... Which also made them weaker.

When you take it apart, do so carefully- It looks pretty weak back there. Support the hull well, too. It's going to sag, and you want it to all go back together again... You'll want to repair the 'lip' all the way around, it looks to be cracked in a few places, and it'll likely break in a few more spots when you seperate it.

Once you get it open, you'll have a better idea of what's going to be needed to do the transom right. Figure the ply is probably rotted out...

-Andrew

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #26430

Hi Mark, Very late in getting in to this thread - what a COOL boat. Will it be at Sinclair this year? Or is this year too optimistic?

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #26434

• MarkS
Oh I'm there with the "What the ...." Andrew! Thanks for the encouragement though. I'll take a break and revisit the rebuild in a few days. I'm thinking hard about raising the transom height to 20" for several reasons. I can then use my Merc 1000, less likely to swamp with the added height, and since it's gotta be rebuilt anyway....

I doubt she'll make the Sinclair trip this year, maybe next. I'm at the beginning end of the learning curve with the major stuff, so this will probably take a while. LOL Looks like the Starflite will be my ride for the rest of this season.

Mark

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #26440

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
M: I thought those staples looked familiar.. I am not a big fan
of lifting off the front deck.. Like you said if the transom height is being raised , just surgically cut the splashwell in a way to
reuse most of it. (Even two angles ,instead of straight across )

If you are doing away with pulley side steering can close up the left side circle. The right side may be smaller circle or needs re position, even forward (?) for a teleflex cable.. Maybe you were going hydraulic steering.

Part of the hobby to show your workmanship or design refurbish. A trip to Chatt to see all of Andrews collection would be worth while.

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 7 months ago #26444

MarkS wrote:

Oh I'm there with the "What the ...." Andrew! Thanks for the encouragement though. I'll take a break and revisit the rebuild in a few days. I'm thinking hard about raising the transom height to 20" for several reasons. I can then use my Merc 1000, less likely to swamp with the added height, and since it's gotta be rebuilt anyway....

I doubt she'll make the Sinclair trip this year, maybe next. I'm at the beginning end of the learning curve with the major stuff, so this will probably take a while. LOL Looks like the Starflite will be my ride for the rest of this season.

If I had to do it over Mark, I would have left the Power Cat at 15" and got me a short shaft motor. These boats were engineered to some degree and built for these short shaft motors. It's easy to match earlier performance, not as much "dialing in." Also, revamping the splash pan is not for the faint of heart, lots of glass work, at least there was in my case.

On the other hand, now I'm a happy guy. But I wouldn't do it again.

You can see how I handled that stuff here: www.powercatboat.com/Group/FA_14t/FA_14t01.html

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 6 months ago #28907

• MarkS
After much deliberation, I've decided this boat is way over my level of very limited skills to bring her back. I'm posting in the glassifieds, heck the windshield is worth what I'm asking for it. (New project announcement to come soon.)

Mark

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 6 months ago #28929

That's too bad but I am sure someone will take her over and take on the task. Too bad you weren't closer to us up here in the upstate NY area as I am sure the Custom Craft fanatics would be all over it. Heck I would buy it just for the windshield (if it would fit my 58 Sea Ray that was blown right off the boat in a heavy wind.)

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 6 months ago #28970

Sorry to hear that Mark, but can't wait to see what's next buddy.
Bob

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 6 months ago #28972

Mark, that's a cool old boat and I love her lines. However, I agree. I wouldn't want to tackle that project. Good luck selling her.

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 6 months ago #28976

• MarkS
Thanks guys, sometimes it's not easy admitting you're in over your head. Not an easy decision, but I'm trying to be realistic. :S VERY excited about the new project though, making plans for my road trip soon!

Mark

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 6 months ago #28977

Mark, don't feel too bad. I went through the same thing with this Manta Ray. It's not that I couldn't do it, it's mostly a general lack of money, plus my poor old body protesting. It will soon be back in its former owner's hands.

Good luck!

Attachments:

Re:Custom Craft Sea Ray 13 years 6 months ago #28987

boy mark,thats a shame,i know how excited you were,i cant see the pics on dial up,but if you want bring it up here and we will get that transom put in together,no charge buddy,by the way i refound the lenses ,i miss placed them again,lol,and they will be on the way as soon as i can,john,p.s. i know how you feel i got a good look at the transom on the devil ray and im in the same boat,lol,so to speak.

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6396 guests and one member online