Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What kind is it?

What kind is it? 13 years 8 months ago #22705

Hello, I have been coming to this site for years whenever I found an old fiberglass boat. I came across this one this week and it has nothing on it that tells me what it is. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What kind is it? 13 years 8 months ago #22706

Looks like a kit built Glen-L "L Dorado" to me. you can visit www.glen-l.com and see the plans, and photos. Be sure to check out the list of customer photos for some different "L Dorados" that customers have built.

www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboard1a/pic147.html

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:What kind is it? 13 years 8 months ago #22707

I don't have an answer right off, but will check with some friends to see what they think? The general look has a mid 1950's through mid 1960's, wood look (front any way-that I've seen before), the fins look like look mid 1960's through mid 1970's? I don't recall fins that were wide inside-to-outside? I would say that Diamond must have something to do with the name, if the diamond on the front of the deck and the ones at the start of the fins are part of the original glass finish? The motor says mid 1960's. I didn't really look at the the trailer, but that may say something about year and place made. I like it good find! I don't know if my email got listed or not? But if I get back to you through here message This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I will, thank for letting us all see another great classic; RaceBoatMaker, John.CED.

Re:What kind is it? 13 years 8 months ago #22708

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1

Looks like a kit built Glen-L "L Dorado" to me. you can visit www.glen-l.com and see the plans, and photos. Be sure to check out the list of customer photos for some different "L Dorados" that customers have built.

if its a 15 foot it could be a Glen-L swish also!

1958 Mechanics Illistrated Plan carried March through May of 58.
Grabbed this off Google Books. Currently Constructing an RC boat from this Plan so if you have more Pictures they would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
Jesse
Attachments:

Re:What kind is it? 13 years 8 months ago #22709

I don't have an answer right off, but will check with some friends to see what they think? The general look has a mid 1950's through mid 1960's, wood look (front any way-that I've seen before), the fins look like look mid 1960's through mid 1970's? I don't recall fins that were wide inside-to-outside? I would say that Diamond must have something to do with the name, if the diamond on the front of the deck and the ones at the start of the fins are part of the original glass finish? The motor says mid 1960's. I didn't really look at the the trailer, but that may say something about year and place made. I like it good find! I don't know if my email got listed or not? But if I get back to you through here message This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I will, thank for letting us all see another great classic; RaceBoatMaker, John.CED.

Re:What kind is it? 13 years 8 months ago #22710

Thanks for all the input and infor. The guy is asking $350 for it and all the fiberglass is pealing from the wood. He has no paperwork so Im still thinking about it. Its got and Evinrude Lark V on it also. Still undecided.

Re:What kind is it? 13 years 8 months ago #22711

Boy, depending on what state you're in, not having paperwork can be a real problem. Best of luck!

Frank

Re:What kind is it? 13 years 8 months ago #22712

PC1000 wrote:

Boy, depending on what state you're in, not having paperwork can be a real problem. Best of luck!

Frank

California....I know first hand how much of a hassle it is. Says he can give me a bill of sale though.

Re:What kind is it? 13 years 8 months ago #22767

The fiberglass peeling on the outside is the least of your worries. With it sitting outside and nose down you could be in for serious rot damage in the lower portions of the plywood and the braces. Pretty sure it is of Glen-L orgin. There have been many of this model turn up over the years. Check it out really good for damage before sinking too much money into it. And make sure you know how to work with wood boats because it takes a special knack to bring a woodie back to life. Good luck!

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6597 guests and no members online