Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins ..

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #34948

• bobo
  • bobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Waterwings wrote:

Larry,
Being a retired Navy flier I have two matra's:
1) Never jump out of a perfectly good ariplane.
2) Never go in anything that was designed to SINK! :woohoo:

John,
Congrats, Kim's and my anniversary is July 10th 29 years, together 32 years. I'll be 51 in August.

Bob

Bob Thats what my Fauther use to say ..He was 8th Air Force Heavy Bombardment Group. He said he went out the door once but they were on fire .I guess Hitler didnt like thier B-17 dropping 500 pound Pineapples on them .Luckily they were over friendly territory when the motor caught fire .He said that was along ways down hanging by a Bed sheet and a couple of ropes ...L.O.L...Sure do miss him .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #34973

Larry,
God bless him, I'm very thankful for his service I'm sorry he's gone and sorry for your loss. I'll bet he had some great stories.

Bob

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #35861

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well I started on the transom .The rear skin was thin and also some bone head ground threw parts on the corners . So I laid in new fillets on all the corners Then put a layer of 1708 biaxial across the whole back to make it stiffer and thicker .Pic is without the biaxial .

Then I coated my first piece of ply with epoxy to seal it and soak in well .I mixed up some US composites Epoxy thickened with Aerosil - cabosil to close to Peanut Butter thickness .I coated the skin and the back side of the ply generously . I clamped the ply at the top but couldnt find any clamps to get down low .So I drilled holes threw it and took 3 inch long 5 /16 bolts with big washers on the outside and 1 inch by 4 inch Oak Boards on the inside and drew it together .I then let it set 24 hours .If anybody is not sure if Epoxy is the best Ill tell ya what ..The next day I went to remove the bolts . Dang things were so adheared to the wood by the epoxy that they snapped while trying to get them out .Ive worked with Poly and I know for sure that it would never hold 2 totally different materials together like that .So imagine how good it is Wood on Wood ..I thought Oh Crap how do I get those out ?? I took my 4 inch grinder and started to grind off 1 of the bolts on the inside . After i had got a 1/4 of the way threw it I saw it spin .The heat must have lousened the epoxy .I clamped a vise grip on them and spun them out .

The next 2 days I did the same thing with the next 2 layers of ply .. I drilled threw the same holes each time and yes the bolts snapped the next day ..After the third sheat had cured . I put 2 layers of Fillets in Starting at 3 inch then 5 inch . I also Filleted the top side of the deck down to the transom and weighted it down .

When I removed all the clamps and bolts this puppy feels like its built like a tank .The original transom was bearly a inch thick . Its close to 1 3/4 now .

Im gonna do one more wider set of fillets then 2 layers of 1708 bi to cover the complete inside of the transom .She should be Bullet Proof I think .Ill fill in my Bolt holes with peanut butter epoxy . So far with epoxy ,hardner , Pumps , 1708 (( A little more expensive but great stuff to work with and builds fast )) Cabosil ,and a roller I got $205 into it including rebedding the spars .Ive got a quart and 1/2 left of epoxy but will reorder another gallon with hardner to finish the floor and glue my wood pieces on .Its $67 a gallon .Im thinking ill have a 1/2 gallon left over toward my Carlson this winters project ..This being my first build with epoxy instead of Poly .. Ild never use Poly again . You dont have to worry about fires , Epoxy barely Smells , And it sticks to everything where poly your hopeing it does .Lots easier on the skin to .Locally Poly is $45 a gallon .Epoxy at US is $67 ..My boats worth more than saving $22 ..The Ply is 1/2 inch acrua ply .About $25 a sheet at Menards or Home Depot .Lowes might have it to I heard .I tested the crap out of this wood before I used it .This would have been alot easier if the transom wasnt curved So dont let my extra work scare anybody off from doing thiers . If it had been flat I could have glued it together outside the boat and saved a ton of time . Ive never done one before so I might be doing it wroung . It was a pretty scary thing to undertake but once you dive in You can do her . Hope this helps some one and I aint boreing you ... Larry

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #35876

Excellent Larry, she's looking good. One thing though, don't kid yourself about no fires with the Epoxy. It gets very hot once it starts to cure. I mxed up some of the West stuff with filler and didn't get the filler mixed in quick enough before it started curing, the darn thing started to smoke! :ohmy: Mixed it in a small old butter container. Could have been the way I mixed it but it does get hot.

Again looks great and be careful.

Bob

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #35880

bobo your doing a great job,its coming out nicely.
nows a bad time to tell you but i think it was "my famingo" that had some great home made clamps for deep clamping,ill see if i can find them,or else maybe he will chime in.johnp.s the way you did it with bolts is also good,it should be a great bond.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #35881

i found them bobo,i think i will make a set,great idea for huge wood clamps flamingo.

and great thread bobo,your helping out alot of folks on rebuilding their transoms,john
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #35889

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Waterwings wrote:

Excellent Larry, she's looking good. One thing though, don't kid yourself about no fires with the Epoxy. It gets very hot once it starts to cure. I mxed up some of the West stuff with filler and didn't get the filler mixed in quick enough before it started curing, the darn thing started to smoke! :ohmy: Mixed it in a small old butter container. Could have been the way I mixed it but it does get hot.

Again looks great and be careful.

Bob

Thanks Bob ..Ya it can get hot but mine never got that hot ..I see you used a small container thats good .In bigger batchs it reacts faster and causes heat .Maybe some epoxys react different and Im sure air temp has alot to do with it . I used US Composites 635 thin with the medium Hardner . $65 for 1.42 gallons hardner included .They sell West Systems there to Its $81 a gallon Pluss $32 for the Hardner . Part of what I meant by fire is Polys fumes are suppose to be flamable . Epoxy arent and smell a heck of alot less .

Thanks to you to John ..Ya know I saw those Flamingo Clamps on here . Real Neat Idea . I was gonna build some but then I had 3 days off in a row and I was bound and determined to get wood into the back of her .I was concerned about the curve to .With the bolts I could watch it being drawn together in a isolated area .When you hit bottom ya know it ..I didnt exspect the epoxy to stick that well to the bolts thow .I went threw 18 of them ...L.O.L..

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #35938

Larry,
Yeah it was in the high 80's or so, so I'm sure that didn't help any. I'm definitely going to find a cheaper system than the West stuff. That's about all could find locally and wanted to get at it fast so..... Yeah the fumes are definitely less painful so to speak. She is definitely looking great, keep up the good work.

Bob

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #35987

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Bob Yould like the Us Composites Epoxy . About a Gallon and a half with Hardner for $65 ..Very Helpfull people to on the phone and ship fast .Closest place I could find Epoxy here was 200 miles away and wasnt cheap .Us has everything else you need . Try that 1708 Biaxial cloth if your building . If youve never used it youll love it .Lays out in corners that would be hard to do with regular and sells cheaper than the junk you buy in the local parts store . Heres thier Website ... www.uscomposites.com/ Im sorry if it sounds like Im plugging them but I give credit where its due .

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #35989

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Bob Yould like the Us Composites Epoxy . About a Gallon and a half with Hardner for $65 ..Very Helpfull people to on the phone and ship fast .Closest place I could find Epoxy here was 200 miles away and wasnt cheap .Us has everything else you need . Try that 1708 Biaxial cloth if your building . If youve never used it youll love it .Lays out in corners that would be hard to do with regular and sells cheaper than the junk you buy in the local parts store . Heres thier Website ... www.uscomposites.com/ Im sorry if it sounds like Im plugging them but I give credit where its due .

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #35996

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'll agree with Larry, the US Composite folks and materials are first rate. (I'm using their poly resin though, no problems even for a rookie!). Their 1708 biax tape wrapped right around my stringer nicely too. Best prices I could find, and I'm a tight wad, shopped everywhere I could find. The shipping is reasonable, not "jacked up" with handling charges. ;)

Mark

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #36016

Larry/Mark,
Great info thanks guys.

Bob

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #36088

your transom looks like its coming along nicely!! I think i am going to start carpeting my del mar today. Man i cant wait to set mine in the water!

damen

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 3 months ago #36130

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yours is a nice boat Damen ..Sure wish I was closer to doing the Carpet ...L.O.L..

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37307

Nice work on the Delmar. The curve in the transom is a major element. Did you save the bracing or are you building that from scratch? I fully advocate epoxy over poly - for everything. Dealing with the blush is not an issue and is easily dealt with by washing or timing during layup.

I did my Delmar about seven years ago and she is still a peach. It was a full restoration. I did hang a new motor off the back though (I know...gasp). It originally had a '64 Merc "dock buster" 70 hp. That's over the 50hp recommended but it was stable. I threw a 2003 Yamaha 75 four stroke on. FAST, quiet, doesn't smell and sips the gas. And...it always starts...ha! Problem was that it runs 150lbs heavier than the old merc and trim was an issue. Resolved that by moving the 18 gal gas tank and battery up front. Still have plenty of room in the cabin.

What are you doing for a finish? I used Interlux Interthane and LOVE it. (goes by the name Perfection now). The standard application calls for roll and tip but the lighter colors lay out by themselves. Awesome product.

I'll post some pictures later this eve or tomorrow.

Kevin

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37308

Nice work on the Delmar. The curve in the transom is a major element. Did you save the bracing or are you building that from scratch? I fully advocate epoxy over poly - for everything. Dealing with the blush is not an issue and is easily dealt with by washing or timing during layup.

I did my Delmar about seven years ago and she is still a peach. It was a full restoration. I did hang a new motor off the back though (I know...gasp). It originally had a '64 Merc "dock buster" 70 hp. That's over the 50hp recommended but it was stable. I threw a 2003 Yamaha 75 four stroke on. FAST, quiet, doesn't smell and sips the gas. And...it always starts...ha! Problem was that it runs 150lbs heavier than the old merc and trim was an issue. Resolved that by moving the 18 gal gas tank and battery up front. Still have plenty of room in the cabin.

What are you doing for a finish? I used Interlux Interthane and LOVE it. (goes by the name Perfection now). The standard application calls for roll and tip but the lighter colors lay out by themselves. Awesome product.

Kevin

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37309

Kevin

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37310

Did I stutter???

Dang back button on this confangled iPad must have reposted it...

Sorry about that.

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37319

Bobo,
I posted some pics of the '58 in the gallery. I'll add more detailed ones as well.

It's under "1958 glasspar delmar"

Kevin

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37328

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Kevin I checked your Delmar out .. Good Job Bud .. I love how you got the little ones in there . Little ones are what got me looking for a Delmar .I saw a pic of one sitting at a Dock with kids looking out the cabin window .Thought I need one of those to take the Grand Kids out in .I didnt even know what boat it was .That brought me to this site and the great Folks on here . Its like a Big family ..The paint job Im keeping a secret till I post it .Im gonna go a little outside the box on her .People thought I was nuts going 2000 miles for a Old beat up boat .. But now there starting to say Hey thats gonna be pretty Cool . Im also restoring Resto Hot Rodding a 56 Chevy Step Side Shorty to tow it with . You had a 70 on yours ?? That must have Jumped pretty good ..L.O.L..Ive heard they get a Little Squirely at speed . Ive yet to drive one ..Hows yours handle ? Im hoping to pick up a 65hp Merc 4 Cyl this weekend ..That should make her move .

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37344

I have my minions do all of my dirty work.

Secret paint, eh? Let me guess...fake fur? You have us all waiting in anticipation now so giddyup on her.

It had the 70 and I put the 75 4-stroke on her in 2004. It's not a classic motor but I love it even if I feel bad for ruining the lines back there. Does 41 MPH and you can still have a conversation. I have plans for a custom hood for it to fit more with the era though. All hard chine hulls (hers aren't as hard as some) can get squirrley if you try to turn too fast but she handles like a dream. Not scary at all. The only time she got out of hand was while I was making too liberal use of the throttle and tight turns pulling an 8 foot tube with 3 teens on it. Of course, I worked up quite a lather in the water so that helped too. No one in the boat went swimming though. Without doing the calculations, you should be able to see ~34mph with a 13 inch pitch on that 60. That is just an off the cuff number though.

I was a lurker here when I started her but she wasn't my first resto. I've done a couple others including a Lone Star Flamingo that turned out nicely. Recently picked up a 16' Johnson x-boat (sail) that is my current floating project. She's wood. If you look at my profile you will also see the bigger "Land Yacht" project that has me on a completely different site full of project fanatics. (1954 Flxible Visicoach)

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37367

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Fake Fur ....L.O.L... I like that ..I said a little outside the box . That would be wwwwwaaayyy outside the box ..I saw a Delmar someplace the guy did the cabin in Long 70s Disco Fur ..Looked great ... NOT ...Kinda reminded me of a 65 Chevy Snub nose Van I had in 78 .I learned alot about Love in that old van ....L.O.L.. Im probaully just gonna use a Color that I havnt seen on one before and some stripes ..
Motor wise if I can get her to run safely in the Low to mid 30s Im fine with that .Its just gonna be a Cruise with the Grand kids sort of boat ..But a little more power doesnt hurt .Ive found that a bigger motor usaully gets Better fuel economy because your not working them so hard .Ild think a 65 running at 1/3 throttle would get better milelage than a 40 running at close to WOT and its alot more quiet . Take Care Larry

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37368

Just think of it - it would look like a giant muskrat cruisong through the water...

Gonna paint it like a tiger instead?

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37439

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
kmaleck wrote:

Just think of it - it would look like a giant muskrat cruisong through the water...

Gonna paint it like a tiger instead?

Giant Muskrat ...L.O.L..Makes me want to find a old boat just to do that to now..WI DNR would probaully ticket me for cruelity to wild life .. Ive done some crazy paint in my day . Did stripes in pearl for a guy once . In in direct light you couldnt see them in other light they would come out in 5 different colors like a ZZ Top stripe . One guy wanted me to do a van and said do it CRAZY ..I shot a heavy primer on it then dusted it with saw dust then primered again and more saw dust till it got a crazy texture on it .Then sprayed it in Red with a Starsky and Hutch White Stripe ..It was a Snub Nose 60s chevy van .We put Deep Dish slotteds on it with that jacked up rear High School angle and Side Pipes ..Thing looked pretty cool even thow it sounds crazy .It was my vertion of a 70s woody .People liked it and wanted to know how I got the paint to look like heavy sand paper ..Nope Not on the Delmar ..I just dont want the top one color and the bottom white .Im thinking about a stripe type pattern on the sides .Cool but not WAY Crazy ..

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37467

• 59G3
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Boy did I get lucky to find my Delmar solid... BoBo I wouldn't have the patience or the Time. Great Job ! Dallas
Attachments:

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37476

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
59G3 wrote:

Boy did I get lucky to find my Delmar solid... BoBo I wouldn't have the patience or the Time. Great Job ! Dallas

Some days I dont .Other days its my sanctuary . Yours is sure looking Great . Good job . Most people around here have never seen one before . A friend was over BSing the one day . Showed him the boat .He had seen the roof line and windshield threw the window . He said he thought I was working on a Old Cadilac ..L.O.L..

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37480

Moulded from the back of a '56 Studebaker Champion.

"In 1956 a boat designer by the name Norm Elliott, came up with the idea for the windshield section for the Del Mar. One of the employees working with him had a 1956 Studebaker Champion. He asked him if they could take a plaster mold from the rear window area of his car and he said ok, providing that the company would take care of any damages. A plaster mold was lifted off his car, than a fiberglass male mold was made and than a female male mold was made and was fitted to the rest of the deck mold. Glasspar bought cases of rear window windshilds for the Del Mar boat that was in production. Next time you see a 1956 Studebaker Champion, take a good look at the rear window. "

~from the glaspar group site

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 2 months ago #37730

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I finally got a motor today I think .Found a 1968 Merc 65 hp 4 Cyl .It looks clean as a whistle inside .Pretty nice outside to .It sat in a basement for 15 years .I brought her home and set it on my test boat .Put some oil threw the carbs and the cylinders to lube her up .Hooked the muffs on her and spun some of the oil out .Has spark and I didnt do a compresion test but you aint keeping your finger over the holes when shes spinning .I know the oil helps but felt great .Was just getting ready to fire her up and the dang tornado sirens went off .Had crazy wind and crazy lightning but nothing damaged .But I didnt get to here her run .Looks well cared for will try tommrow . Checked a few videos on you tube of these motors .Looks like they got some POO POO to them for a smaller motor . Sure sound sweet on the videos I watched .Anbody run one or have had one ?

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 1 month ago #40686

sounds like your getting closer bobo! I just got my motor all cleaned up and test fired purred like a kitten! my old delmar got some new carpet and rewired over the last month... now for the fun part sanding and staining the wood.lol what color are you going to shoot your delmar?

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 1 month ago #40688

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well that 650 runs great then I got a tilt and trim for it .So the motors set to rock .Then I got a deal on a Scat Cat tunnel and that got me sidetracked for a little bit .Another couple of hours on the Tunnel then back to the Delmar .Im getting mad at myself for not getting this boat in the water yet .Ive got a few more hours to finish up the transom and then a few more to put the floor back in .Most of it is already prepped for paint .If I get super serious about it Maybe I can go for a ride early Sept ..Not Done but sea worthy .Maybe a Nice fall ride when shes done with the Leafs changing colors would be nice ..Im in WI so you never know what falls gonna be like .Can be 70s and warm in Oct . or a foot of snow ..Color Im gonna keep to muself and surprise ya all maybe .Aint gonna be stock but not super crazy either ..Glad to here yours is coming along well .Wood is kinda fun to me ..Throw some pics of yours up so we can see yours coming along .Throw them on here if you want . It could be a Multiple Delmar restoration post ...L.O.L..
Larry

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 1 month ago #40689

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
A little closer everyday Larry. I can't wait to see done. And a 650 Merc to boot. Keep on truckin'.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 1 month ago #40746

sounds strange out here on the west coast to say, but i know the feeling about fall.. where i'm at in oregon we have had it start snowing in late sep. and go long enough to be riding snow machinces by mid oct..but then other years were still cutting wood in late oct.. hopefully i can get some pics up thi weekend!

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 1 month ago #40755

larry its sounding great,but one question,whare are the rest of the pics as you go along?lol i like picslol.
john

---Mark Twain

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 1 month ago #40763

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
john_gibson wrote:

larry its sounding great,but one question,whare are the rest of the pics as you go along?lol i like picslol.
john

Well John its kinda where it was at in the last pictures .First I got Side tracked by Finding a bunch of Old Mercs Dirt cheap . I got 2 100 hp , 1 110 hp 2 65 hp and 1 80 hp .So for awhile I was playing with those to see if I got some deals and Yes I did ...Then I happened to get that scat cat Tunnel and spent a week playing with that .I made 1 good 65 hp out of the 2 for the delmar .I put tilt and trim on it from the one motor .When I hung her on the transom i noticed that due to the transom being curved the trim cylinder mounts wont sit flush to the transom ..Sooo Either ill have to build some sort of angled wedges or skip the Tilt .Right now im leaning toward seeing if that tilt will fit my 50 HP on the Scat Cat and if it does throw it on there .Anybody know if it will ?? The Scat would benefit from the tilt alot more .Now I got a line on a free 50 hp Merc I gotta go pick up and a 70 HP 3 Cylinder .But ill let those lay and get back on the Delmar if i get them .So pics will be coming soon ..

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 1 month ago #41823

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
john_gibson wrote:

john

Well John You like pics .I finally got something done worth showing I guess ..I finished the fellets on the transom and trimmed her down to where its suppose to be .I then put 2 layers of Biaxial on her .

I put fellets on all of the spars .I cut a floor to original length and width .When I layed it in the boat it wouldnt meet the hull .It was to narrow to go all the way across its suppose to lay on the spars and then meet the hull as it curves up and be glassed into it .When I reglassed the spars in they must have gotten glassed in a little higher than stock .CRAP ..The original floor was 44 inchs wide where it met the hull .I measured across and 48 would meet up to the hull and still be flat .So off to Menards for another $30 Sheet ..Cut the new one and with some trimming and sanding (( Dang Curved transom )) she dropped in and layed flat . I cant believe how much Epoxy I got into this so far .Almost 4 gallons .I have only enought to maybe seal the wood and fellet part of it in . Was thinking about useing Polyester that I can get locally but decided to Order more epoxy .After the time and money I got into her I want it to last as long as me ...L.O.L..But the good news is All of the external stuff on the transom is done so while Im waiting Im gonna finish my Paint prep work and try to get some color on this Old Girl ..Sure am glad I can finaly say that ..Heres some pics of seats I picked up for it .Not sure if Ill use them forever But they will do for awhile and were a Free Bee along with some brown carpet . They might not match my Outside colors but will do till my Ching Ching collection fills back up .

Looks better than when I got her

Im thinking about building a bench type seat across the back with storage underneith for gas tank and battery .I could tie it into the transom and floor for a little extra strenght Maybe even put a couple of Gussets underneith it where you cant see them .This is a small boat in back .Only 5 1/2 foot from the transom to the 1/2 wall where the controls are .I need some Hideing space . Oh ya ..I blew up the 500 that was on the Scat Cat .I was going to put a newer 650 on the Delmar with tilt and trim .Decided to put the trim motor on the Scat and I picked up a 64 or 65 I think it is 650 .I had to take the worlds Ugliest boat with it and a nice trailer .$75 ...Has electric start but it starts so easy with the recoil Ill probaully use that to .135 lbs on all four ..Shifts smooth as silk .Sure is a testiment to Merc that a 47 year old motor can still run this great even after a barn got blown down on it .Dang wrap still looks almost new and has 95% of the sticker still on it .I love the stainless on these Old Girls .Im gonna repaint the bottom and the recoil houseing and she will be good for another 47 ..L.O.L.. I Hope ..Well John my friend ...Was that enought Pictures ?? Anybody got a cool steering wheel they want to part with . Im open to ideas .This ones a Atwood and has some cracks in it .Ive got a chrome one that looks like a Ship steering wheel .It was on a tele style cable steering set up where this is a cable and pullie style .Are the shaft sizes the same on all ??

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 1 month ago #41834

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Great progress report Larry, thanks for sharing! I hear you and understand completely about the amount of resin it takes to do the job. (Just finished my sixth gallon yesterday, still need at least one more to finish!) Your Delmar IS looking a lot better, and I'm with you on the let's overbuild rather than underbuild as well. :P

I think all marine wheels are either square taper (older Ride Guide system) or 3/4" round taper shaft.

Mark

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 1 month ago #41858

larry wow,your going fast,it looks fantastic,but i can never have enough pics,lol,lol.thanks my friend,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 1 month ago #41872

Larry,
She's coming along nicely. Definitely looking MUCH better than whe you brought her home.

Bob

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 1 month ago #41875

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks guys . Mark I think ill order another 2 1/2 gallons from US Composites If I got some left I can use it on the Carlson next year . Whats the shelf life of Epoxy ?? Anybody know ? Heres the Ugliest Boat I had to take for the motor .A guy had built it to go on Lake Michigan for salmon in the 70s .Its got funky blue carpet all over even on the deck .Its a little over 22 foot long . Cant believe he only had a 650 on it but I guess he jus trolled with it .He got sick and it sat in a barn .A funnel cloud came over and took the Barn out .Another guy picked it up to fix it and parked it by his Wifes Flower garden .She was none to happy .I offered him $75 for it .She said to him ... You better take that or youll be sleeping in that boat tonight ...L.O.L..So im a 125 miles from Home with a 81 Mercedes Running on used Veggy Oil and gonna tow a 22 foot boat . It towed the Delmar a 1000 miles back from WY it should do this ..Well the Old Turbo was sure spooling up alot for the next 2 hours but she made it .I sure exspect alot from a $700 car with 340,000 on it dont I ...L.O.L..But I couldnt leave a nice old Merc and a Good Trailer could I ? and yes I got a over built trailer hitch on her .

Anybody know what this Beast is ?? There isnt a tag on it ..Heres a pic of the Merc in the day light .I lubed the cylinders and crank threw the carbs and spun her over .Put the plugs back in Hooked the muffs up to her and fuel .It didnt spin over more than 10 seconds and fired right up .I shut her down and for the heck of it tried the recoil .Thing will pop off with the handle like 6 inchs out of the houseing .I was thinking it would be tought to start that way .It should push the Delmar with authority and look kinda nice back there .

Re:Operation Delmar Stage 2 Begins .. 13 years 1 month ago #42194

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Nice sunny day in the 70s today and I had it off .Delmar Time !!! A few people emailed me and asked if I could give some details about what Im doing and how I did it .So Ill try .It is Not my intention to be a smart Arse like Im the God of Body work there are many on here I stand in Awe of .Nor is my way the only way to do things .And if I dont explain right Feel free to jump in and correct me or if you have a easier way maybe I can learn to .First I intend to paint my boat .I have never Gel coated one so my methods might not be right for those who will .Im just applying Skills I learned in a Body Shop for around 20 years to a boat .
Well any holes I had from my bolts in the transom that I wouldnt use again I faired (( Ground them out so the hole wouldnt be a straight 90 degree angle )) and made a Divit in the surface with a 4 1/2 inch Grinder with a 80 grit disc .Ild grind back a inch or 2 from the edge of the hole .Then I mixed Epoxy Resin with Cabosil thickner to peanut butter thickness and filled the whole .Once it sets I smouthed it out a little with the grinder so the epoxy would be below the finished surface .Then i took some fiberglass reinforced body filler (( Not the long hair )) and put a thin coat over the holes .

I then took my DA (( Orbital sander )) with 80 grit and sanded it smouth but below where the finished surface would be .I had some smaller holes where stuff was mounted and Im not gonna reuse those holes .So i ground those back and faired the edges .These holes were a 1/2 inch or less .Anything much bigger youll want to make a fiberglass patch for .I put Duct tape on the back sides of those I could reach and filled again with Filler with the fiberglass short hairs .Once again after It was set I DA it with 80 keeping the Fiberglass putty below the finished surface .Just a side note here . Before applying putty Blow all of the dust off of it and wipe down with denatured Alcohol .DONT use acetone or Lacquer thinner or any thinner really . It can leave residue that will affect the adhesion of the filler .Later down the road your putty could Pop louse . I then prep a bunch of areas to fill and mix up some light weight body filler .My choice is Evercoat Light Weight .For those of you that still use Bondo from Wall Mart or Auto Zone type places do yourself a favor and try some .It sands 10 times quicker , Doesnt clog your paper (( Saves Money There )) and wont get pin holes .Its also about the same price sometimes or cheaper but if you figure in the cost of your time and extra sand paper Its Alot Cheaper ..Evercoat isnt the only company to make it but for the price I love it .Easy on the hardner here when you mix it .If it gets hot and sets to fast any filler wont have its full strenght or adhesion and youll end up waisteing some .Apply skim coats around a 1/4 inch .

Give it ample time to harden then get your Blocks out ..

Theres many types For flat areas ones like the above work well .For curves get a Flexable type . Grab your DA and sand any crap that might have got where you didnt need it but not on your patch area .Then start to sand your repaired surface changeing directions fairly often .Work the edges so it feather edges in then back to your main area Stop and feel your work often with your hand like this and moving at different angles .Try to determen low and high spots ..Yes Im part Irish . Can you tell by the freckles ?? ...L.O.L..Irish , German and Native American ..Theres a combination ..Dont get Lazy here and think you can grab your orbital and sand it perfect .Aint gonna happen for you .Blocking is the only way to go .If you get tired go have some coffee or a beer and chill then hit it again when your ready . Otherwise youll get paint on her and see your bad spots and wish yould have spent another 1/2 hour there .

Work a little on the high then back to the whole area Keep feeling . I do this with 80 grit .If you see low spots like this but rest of it feels good stop it will need another skim coat of filler . Sometimes youll need maybe 3 coats to pull the panel where you need it to be .At times you might have a bunch of smaller spots fairly close together .When you get that after a coat or 2 Skim coat the complete panel and work it as one . Take your time , Feel , Think , Be patient It will pull together for you .

Dont try to make it perfect with 80 grit . When you get close change to 180 and when closer 320 .You want to get the 80 sanding scratchs out by stepping down in grit .

Those long Side Panels in back were full of crazeing so I DA them down with 80 then skim coated the complete panel .

These had wood on them originally but Im not sure if Im gonna go that direction .If I dont I want them prepped for paint .
I get my sand paper and DA paper from TCP Global .Its there Gold paper and I think its made by Norton .Decent paper at some pretty cheap prices .Probaully less than 1/2 of a Local Jobber .Car Quest carrys the Ever Coat pretty cheaply .Global has it to but shipping might get ya but not sure .Filler isnt real light .3M has some outstanding paper but at over twice the price of Norton I cant see it being worth it unless your doing production work in a Pro Shop .But thats just my oppion .

Anyway Still plucking along .Hope to paint maybe next week if life doesnt get in the way . Hope I helped somebody and Didnt bore the rest of you ..
Larry

Time to create page: 0.325 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6088 guests and no members online