Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need help finding parts

Need help finding parts 13 years 9 months ago #22601

If anyone can help i purchased a 1956 glass magic playmaster. I am 14 years old and the guy gave it to me for nothing. He said as long a s i restore it to original condition i can have it. So i was wondering if anyone out here could help me find some logos trim windshields anything will be appreciated. Ive been trying to find info on the brand but not much can be found :( plz help if you can. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 9 months ago #22602

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome, here's the link to the Glass Magic section in the library. There's some info and logos here, at least it's a start. You might want to put an ad in the Glassified section, listed as WTB (wanted to buy) for the specific parts you need. Good luck on your project, post some pics when you get a chance.

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Glass_Magic

Mark

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22652

Thanks for the reply im new to this site so this is a big help:) The finished boat is the plan
Attachments:

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22653

How i got it
Attachments:

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22659

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice looking boat- and it looks like you've already got a lot of the parts there- at least some of the important ones. What condition is it in? Is there any rot in the floors/stringers/transom??

Looks like it'll be a fun project.

BTW- That windshield won't be tough to make, if you can't find one...

-Andrew

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22664

very cool boat,its nice to see young folks getting the fiberglassic bug,we will be here to help you through it.
here is a great article on building a new windsheild,i wish i knew who wrote it,i would like to give him kudos for a good article.above all have fun restoring it,john
www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-5/wl43-windshield1.html

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22666

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
sc15, very nice boat, you have alot to work with. when you get in a jam, don't get discouraged. just get on this form and ask all the questons you have to. when you do get tired of working on it just park it for awhile and then get back on it. i have sold a few boats that i gave up on and now i-am wishing i had them back. i-am sure there are a few of us out there that have done that. any thing can be fixed and there is an awful lot of knowlage (sp) (to big of word for me) here and all are happy to help. don't be afraid to ask. you got a good starting point. best of luck. frog

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22678

ive got it all sanded down and the wood off of the transom replacing that. but thanks for all the replies :) Got primer on the bottom half and still smothing out the top half a bit

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22679

Does anyone know where i can get a older steering wheel?? MInes cracked and unrepareable i believe :'(

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22689

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Scour eBay for a steering wheel if you truly think it is unrepairable. Although I have always had great success with Eastwood's kit.

www.eastwood.com/catalog/product/view/id/3993

I have used this kit on dozens of wheels but mostly 1958,'59','60 Chevy Impala steering wheels.If it just has cracks and not missing large pieces it can be repaired. Post and pic or two. You have nice boat to begin your addiction :lol: Good luck!

Melanie

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22694

Thanks for tht kit ill pit pics up later of it gotta go to school tho so ill put them up and if anyone can think its possible to make it like new plz tell me
Thanks

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22728

Boat steering wheel
Attachments:

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22729

mark 55e motor that came with it
Attachments:

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22730

Transom after rotten wood removed
Attachments:

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22731

Transom again from inside looking at the back
Attachments:

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22732

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That steering wheel should be an EASY fix... I jut finished mine, and it started out far worse than that... The cracks will be easy to fill with the previously mentioned product from Eastwood (they've got a great tutorial on their site), paint it up, and it'll be as good as new (or better!)

That's a nice motor, too- I'm actually kind of jealous :) Does it run?

Are you removing the transom wood from the inside or outside? I can't tell from the photos! One looks like it's the outside, on the inside...

Do you know what condition the stringers, and any other wood, under the floor are in?? One thing i've learned is if you find rot in one place, you're likely to find it elsewhere!

-Andrew

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22734

ok thanks on the steering wheel and the motors is locked up and we tore it done to clean it and all the guy gave that to me for free with the boat so i payed nothing for all of this. And on both sides we tore it off. It seems as if the stringers are fiberglass. so no rot there.:)

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22737

How hard is it to paint steering wheels or the entire boat anyone on here have any experience??
Thanks in advance

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22744

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Starcraft you need to slow down a bit ,your making me look bad :laugh: Just kidding of course.

You can use most any paint to top coat the steering wheel once repaired and primed properly. As the Eastwood instructions state do not use epoxy as it has a tendency to chip easily. Especially from rings on fingers.As to painting the entire boat many of the marine paint manufacturers will have plenty of info and if you do a search on this site I am sure you will find older threads that address painting and most anything else that crops up in your restoration ahead.I have learned quite a bit by going through some of the older threads. Also I have seen some excellent Youtube videos on the subject.

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22745

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
"Are you removing the transom wood from the inside or outside? I can't tell from the photos! One looks like it's the outside, on the inside"... Andrew

Andrew from what I see it looks as though there was a piece of plywood attached to the outside of the transom and it left an imprint on the fiberglass. Young Starcraft has a few holes to fill but can also use some of those holes to help bond the new wood to the inner transom using screws with washers to ensure good contact.

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22746

there was the fiberglass sandwhiched between 2 pieces of wood on the transom I took both pieces off. so there was inside and outside the when you can see the back is the back and the other one is inside with the pile of wood chips on it

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22749

There was a bolt in every single one of those holes.
this boat stuff really teaches you patience :P

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22750

starcraft,if you think you cant fix the steering wheel send it to me and ill do it for you for free,im doing a set of horns for one of our members and a set of horns and steering wheel for another member for free,whats one more,ill just do them all the same day.
i have metal anodized paint in blue,yellow(gold),red and purple.
you have alot of enthusiasm already ill be glad to help you out.i can also paint it white, john gibson
436 helman road
indiana,pa 15701
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22752

Really for free? id feel bad for doing that. Where are you located?

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22754

starcraft,yep,i do it for any member here,i put my address in the last post,i do it for free becuse so many members have helped me here,im paying it forward,so dont feel bad,just pay it forward someday,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22756

I was thinking white for the steering wheel. It has a ton of cracks in it should i fill them in before sending it to you?

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22757

just let me know what color,ill pick it up for you,no problem,im just glad to see a young person get into the hobby,im trying to get my nephew interested ,maybe when i get the devil ray,john

nope just send it ill fill the cracks and paint it white ,i have lots of white.

---Mark Twain

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22759

kool thanks :)

My friend and i are into boats he has a wooden boat similar to my fiberglass the only difference is its wood. Him and his dad restored it and it is nice. theres nothing like having your own boat when your 14 haha :)

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22760

your welcome,just pay it forward to someone else someday,well im going to go watch some tv,take care and i admire your enthusiasm,good luck

---Mark Twain

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22762

Thanks for this alot its greatly appreciated!!

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22773

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Starcraft
John does amazing work. I am sending him a wheel and horns to refinish.
I my self just last weekend picked up a Merc 55E. I hope yours will be usable.
14 and refurbishing a classic boat, good on ya!!
You have come to the right website for help.
Patience and work and guidance will make you a proud owner of this project so keep us informed and lots of pictures. This is gonna be great.
Welcome to the family. :)
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22779

Thanks for the welcome Neil. I believe he does do good work as shown by the pics and ill be gettin more pics up of the process as of rite know real soon.

Im hopin the motor will free up soon ill get it sooner or later.

Eric

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22819

John when should i send it to you?

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22825

eric,you can send it anytime you want,even send it now,ill take care of it,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22826

K ill get it shipped soon ill put On here when i shipped it to give u an idea of when it will get there

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22827

How long will it take you think?

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22850

im not sure,im hoping to do all of the horns and steering wheels in one day,i have to heat up the garage the night before,because all i have in there is a small propane heater and 2 oil filled heaters,i keep my paints in my basement,but do the paint work in the garage,so as soon as i get everything ill fill the cracks,sand,and and paint them all .john

---Mark Twain

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #22853

Ok tnks ill send it as soon as i can

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #23906

im gonna get that steering wheel sentout this week so it will be ther this week or next week

Re:Need help finding parts 13 years 8 months ago #23935

starcraft thats great,im hoping the other guys send their stuff to be painted too,so i can do them all at one time,john

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6725 guests and no members online