Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Storm coming!

Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22239

Got the boat tarped, hope it holds. 6-10" of snow predicted, winds to 50 mph! Took the seats out today too.

Happy new year all.

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22241

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
can you move the boat under the structure Frank? 50 MPH winds are not going to let that tarp stay in place along with the heavy wet snow we to having coming. I am about to go out and cover "The Cottage" (our Cruisers Inc).
If no room built up a center support over the boat like we do when we shink-wrap boats and tie the tarp tight down to the trailer. I would hate to see those gallon jugs fly and damage your boat.

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22242

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The middle of that tarp looks unsupported. Danger, Will Robinson!!!!

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22245

There's more to it than you can see guys. I can't move the boat right now anyways, long story and I'm tired. I don't think our snow is gonna be wet & heavy. If it is, no biggie. Floor is the hull, no wood to get wet and rot!

Frank

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22246

18" plus here...whoopee.$$$$$..tractor

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22248

wow ,you guys all stay safe,todd just emailed me and siad he picked up my devil ray and its in his back yard now,about to be buried in snow,lol,i just hpe you guys stay safe and warm,here in my part of pa,we might just get grazed by it,then around 50 degrees on new years day,im thinking of all of you ,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22249

Yes, please be safe everyone. Down in southern Maryland we've got about 5" on the ground now and another couple coming. Wet stuff, sticking to everything. Just got done shoveling the driveway to stay ahead of it. Hope it doesn't get too bad, have to drive down to south Florida tomorrow for New Years.

Again be safe and have a Happy New Year if I don' get access to internet while I'm gone.

Bob

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22251

Up here in western Wisconsin we aren't getting any snow today, but we already have gotten over 30 inches this month. That is less than an inch from the record for December. I am lucky to be able to keep my Thompson in the garage along with our 2 cars all safe and sound. I know this is going to be a long winter, because I am getting a bad case of spring fever already.
Bill

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22252

Just started snowing here guys, but it's great, it got all the in-laws out and running. Just us chickens now.

19 degrees here, don't think it's gonna be wet snow this time around. No matter, plow guy stopped by to say "Hi!" He's already hired for tomorrow, but it's no big deal, both the little woman and I have the day off. I work Tues-Thurs, then a 3 day weekend. Supposed to warm up for next weekend. Maybe even rain!

Happy New Year!

Frank

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22257

F - Cut some smiley faces ) in your sides or that tarp will act like a big sail. I cut a number of them in the sides of mine and it's held fine through all the wind we've had in December. You need to let the sides breath to release the air pressure. B

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22263

Yep, freezing here, 48 today. probably will take boat out this week just to keep her in shape

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22273

It's 16 here, with a heck of a wind blowing snow in. I was out at 4:30 to start shoveling, when what to my surprise, the plow guy stopped by. End of story. Clean for now.

Frank

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22274

heck i took my boat out of the garage about 2 weeks ago,because we were going to get a big storm,and i needed to put my lawn tractor and mini back hoe in the garage just so its easier to start,we never got that storm,bummer thats 2 weeks of boat work i could have been doing,now the boat is double tarped.
i hope you all stay safe and dont lose your electric,stay warm,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22275

Whacked good here. But power held through the night. I'd guess a foot of snow and howling winds now. Makes for interesting snow scuptures. My tarp from the shop out over the Power Cat held through the night with the snow load and wind. Will try to get photos of it later. Not pretty, but it works. I'm thinking of taking down the first storage building I put up in 1978 and replacing it with a larger one that will hold the Cat...or maybe 2 :dry: . That can wait til spring. I told my wife all I wanted for Christmas was Lowe's gift cards because I WILL buy a good table saw in the spring.

Katie and Vic got stranded in Ft. Lauderdale last night as most flights coming into the Northeast were canceled. It's supposed to be Christmas morning here with them....but we'll need to wait at least another day.

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22277

My tarp held too! I was out in the dark maybe about 5:45 or 6 cleaning it off.

I wondered if Katie and Vic would make it for Christmas today B. Oh well, at least they're safe!

Frank

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22278

20" plus here..with 4'drifts...0 degrees windchill..high winds...state of emergency in n.j. was out at midnite clearing our cul-de-sac.

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22282

Wow! Heavy duty Ron. When was the last time you had snow like this? Good luck!

Frank

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22283

Amazing that you guys are getting it and we're not here in Rochester. Forecast for the end of the week looks good up north. I may spend New Years Eve at the cottage.

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22284

When all of you back East get tired of the snow send it out to Nevada we need all the snow and rain we can get. Been in a drought for the last 5 years. The only lake by me goes down below the docks by Aug and thats the end of boating. Plus I got my snowmobiles out and wait for some snow to play in.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22285

Fortunately for us, there was a dry shaft in the storm which stayed over us most of last night. Probably only had 6" of snow, but a lot of wind. Checked the weather at one of the local lighthouses before I went to bed and the wind was steady 41 gusting to 54. John's boat is in good shape. One line on the Tomahawk tarp came loose and the CC is snug in the garage. Looks like I might have to do house projects for a couple of months.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22290

Good for you Todd. I think we must have had more than 6" but the wind has done such strange things with it, I'm really not sure. Supposed to be 40+ Saturday!

Frank

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22297

Katie and Vic's flight got canceled again...until Thursday!! PMO!! So they rented a car and are driving 1500 miles through the night to come home. They just called and made it from Ft. Lauderdale to Savannah, GA already. Vic, being an Army Ranger, clearly has taken control of the mission and will not be deterred until mission accomplished....which would be opening the Christmas presents which are still sitting under our tree! He doesn't know it, but he's getting a Benelli Super Nova 12 ga pump gun in full camo. He loves to hunt, but having been deployed for 4 years owns no firearms....other than what the Army provides. I can't tell you how much fun I had picking this out, and am worse than a little kid waiting to see the look on his face when he opens it. Pray for safe travel. They should be home for dinner tomorrow.

Have been out a couple times today driving and it's not fun in these conditions. Be safe out there everyone, and make sure you have your emergency gear handy.

And Bill, if I had my way, I'd have been on the Island all this time. Hope you get to be at Fineview for New Years.

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22300

This storm missed us here in central Mi. But it's early. I'm sure we are due for at least a big one before the winter is over.
Rain for New years Eve and then getting colder after that.
Will get the shanty out then. We have 10" of ice under the 4" of snow right now. That may change after th rain. :S

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22304

This is about what it looked like before Dec 21st aka BEFORE WINTER, hasn't changed much other than the compression. we did not get hit with the..Big NORTH EASTERNER but we managed to pick up our needed 2/10 of an inch to break our all time record for December for snow.

According to the National Weather Service in Buffalo, two-tenths of an inch fell at the Greater Rochester International Airport yesterday, setting the record for the month at 46.4 inches of snow. The old record of 46.2 was set in 2008.

“This is 120 years of record,” said David Thomas, a meteorologist at the weather service in Buffalo. “This is a new monthly snow record.”

Syracuse set a new December snow record last week at 71.9 inches. The city’s old record was set in 1902.

The Rochester area will likely see a bit more snow before the end of the year.

Flakes were falling over downtown this afternoon.

Flurries are in the forecast for the next couple of days before a brief warm-up this weekend. :angry:

Temperatures Friday and Saturday could reach near 50 degrees. :ohmy:

Now by my understanding, this storm dump what..24 inches of snow and it crippled New York City.....sorry to snicker but it is winter and it does snow....But I can understand the winds down there are making it allot worse, give 2 feet of snow a 30+ wind and you got yourself a problem.
Attachments:

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22305

now before someone jumps on me about that last post...

I'll show everybody a "little-trick"...

if you have Goggle Earth on your computer you can go to a "keyhole" website and select a region, state, county...city..Type of radar and what angle you want it to reflect and what you want it to reflect...

GE-weather Keyhole (KLM file)

weather KLM Keyhole

scroll down that page to see your selection(s)...

here is an example of what I just did on mine, with my storm track markers in place for those storms that will bury us.

here you can see, I am getting some ground clutter to the west and to the East...well it looks like I missed out on that.

After you make your selection the Keyhole will compile a KLM file that will be downloaded to you which you open it using google earth and the radar will show up on your model with what ever markers you have set as a ref.
Attachments:

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22312

well last night was the first time i ever turned down a job. after removing snow between 9 and 11:30am, i had to go sit by the machine for 3 1/2 hrs. i was hoping they were going to call and say it was cancelled...yeah right. while sitting there i couldn't help but think of the $$$$ everyone else was making. anyway i got home at 4pm, dressed and was back at it. got back home at 9 pm and told Sue my fingertips are numb and my feet were getting there. i had a 70' loading dock yet to do. i called the owner and told him i couldn't do it as it would take me 2 hrs. and the temp was 0 with the windchill and the the winds were killing me. i sure wish i had an enclosure for that tractor. the owner called me this morning and asked if i could come as the plow guy he hired can't do it. its a narrow dock and he can't maneuver. so i'm goin back out. its 30 degrees now and the winds are around 15mph.so it shouldn't be bad. more later..... ron

Tarp held fine 13 years 9 months ago #22313

Well, my tarp held fine. Had to remove snow twice when it was really coming down, but the wind kept it clean. I'm going to modify it a bit to see if I can get it to shed snow.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Tarp held fine 13 years 9 months ago #22336

frank, how much snow have you got?, we are at 3 feet 11 inches for the month (so far)

that 3 feet 11 has compressed down to a little over a foot on the ground, I went out a snapped this of the Cobia currently, the wrap is not on it but the engine is covered.
Click to enlarge
Attachments:

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22337

I'm not sure Mark. We don't live near anywhere that keeps track. There was less just north, and more just south. My best guess here is 8 or 10", but maybe it was more. It's complicated, because the storm is what I called a "snowicane" like a hurricane but with snow. The winds not only made a cold snowy day brutal, but made it impossible to determine depth of snow.

Frank

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22338

LOL...I heard it also referred to as a "Burricane"! Feels like summer out there today!

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22339

Yeah, but it was a burricane with snow, so snowicane. Or a snowy burricane? Hmm, now I'm confused...

Frank

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22366

to...discount the "several feet" that the press keeps talking about.

The remarkable Post-Christmas blizzard of 2010 has ended for the United States, as the storm has trekked northeastward into Canada. The blizzard dropped epic amounts of snow during its rampage up the U.S. Northeast coast Sunday and Monday, with an incredible 32" falling in Rahway, New Jersey, about 15 miles southwest of New York City. The highest populated areas of New Jersey received over two feet of snow, including the Newark Airport, which received 24.1". Snowfall amounts were slightly lower across New York City. The blizzard of 2010 dumped 20.0" inches on New York City's Central Park, making it the 6th largest snowstorm for the city in recorded history, and the second top-ten snowstorm this year.

Rahway, NJ 32.0"
Great Kills, NY 29.0"
Piermont, NH 25.0"
Newark, NJ 24.2"
Landgrove, VT 21.0"
Atlantic City, NJ 20.1"
NYC Central Park, NY 20.0"
Boston, MA 18.2"
Ocean City, MD 13.5"
Philadelphia, PA 12.4"
East Providence, RI 10.0"
Danbury, CT 11.1"
Augusta, ME 15.0"
Dover, DE 9.0"
Asheville, NC 9.0"
Bridgeport, CT 8.0"
Huntsville, AL 6.0"
Chattanooga, TN 3.0"

the only thing the press got almost right is when they looked at this picture and said..."huh that looks like a hurricane"

what it was, was a subtropical depression that traveled up from south America, which in most cases are just as bad as a hurricane.

NOW, to give NYC a heads up, "Yea gotta another thing coming"
Attachments:

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22368

That's a lot different than a Blizzard B)
Attachments:

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22370

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
We've gotta get you a tarp Dave, that picture makes me SHIVER! :lol:

Mark

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22373

That's a future project.
Got the whole outfit for $200.00 b,m and trailer. I bought it for the Merc red band 69 650

Re:Storm coming! 13 years 9 months ago #22376

well..I am totally biased...they get 20 inches of snow it is a blizzard, we get 20 inches of snow it is called "Lake-Snow", which after a lake-snow I still have to clear out the drive way and clean up from when Genny pushed off the drift off the top of the Suzuki and broke the drift down at the end of the driveway by driving through it, which is where the road plow seems to think the whole street belongs. up here it just a daily normal thing when we get 20+, the thing to me that seems to be more like the old days is the timing...if this was January or early February it would be what most would call "normal" but this to me seems to be normal.

Of course I have seen 3 feet of snow in Abilene and one time an a "ice storm" in El- that started when a traffic light turned red and when the green light came on no one moved because there was an inch of ice on the pavement.

seeing where NY City is, the thing that always made me tip my head is why don't they just have a pumping system that would draw in seawater and pump that to the main roads like a sprinkler system, if they knew a "storm" was coming all they would have to do is turn it on before hand and as the snow landed it would melt and just head down the sewer.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6618 guests and no members online