Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New gel coat - what method to put it on.

New gel coat - what method to put it on. 13 years 9 months ago #21982

I've been surfing the web and the old posts here to learn what I can before putting gel coat on a couple boats I'm rebuilding. In the past I've done some repairs and fabricated some smaller parts and gel coated by either brushing or rolling it on, using PVA, then sanding. I'd sort of planned to spray these. Partly to go faster, partly to save on sanding.

All this searching has brought up as many questions as it's answered, and some of you are sure to have answers.

From some recent posts here and some other boards, I gather there is a lot of over spray and mess with spraying. Rolling it outside to spray probably isn't practical for a few months, so I need to consider how it'll go inside. It also sounds like I need to get the biggest nozzle for my gun I can if I do spray.

Then, maybe I can spray it on outside at 35 degrees, then roll it in and heat it up to cure? Leave the mess in the cold outside.

With rolling, I can put on several coats to build it up, letting it get partly set between coats, then spray on some pva. I assume if I spray I can do the same? I'm guessing it would have to be room temperature through all this.

After seeing the recent post where the whole shop is red, I need to think about it a bit more before I gel coat my Super Skeeter.

Before it's suggested, I can't use the modern paints, which I'd like, due to allergies. So, gel coat it will be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5954 guests and no members online