Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Registering old boats - what a crapshoot!

Registering old boats - what a crapshoot! 13 years 9 months ago #21703

Recently another fellow in Mo. had questions about registering his boat here. I passed along a bit of info. I have some boats I recently bought out of fields and hoped to figure out how to do it properly here.

Well, today was an eyeopener. The water patrol is the place to get inspections, check for history and other things. That is where they send you to get things inspected, etc. I was led to believe that with a good bill of sale, an inspection to verify the numbers, model, it isn't stolen and other information, I could apply for a title and it should work. I mean, how difficult should it be for a 50 year old boat that has been sitting in a field for 30 years and is selling for $100?

In the past I've either registered them in a non title state, or "bought" them from a willing person in a non title state. With registration from a non title state in my name, I can walk in and have a good Mo title on the spot. With a bill of sale from a person with an address in a non title state, I can walk into a Missouri license office and get a title on the spot. No inspections, no one even sees or verifies the boat exists. How tough sould it be to just do it all right here and not play any tricks?

Well, I suspect you've already guessed the answer. I called yesterday and the Water patrol ran the numbers on the two boats I was interested in registering. No record remains in the state, even though the registration numbers are on it. No record of theft on either one. So I went and bought a current trailer license (I'm going to the Highway Patrol HQ - better be legal!), then loaded one boat on a boat trailer, put it on a flatbed trailer, then hooked the other behind that one and headed to Jeff City 45 miles away for my inspection. Pulled in with my double trailer rig and got the officer who'd agreed to inspect.

We verified, filled out all the paperwork, signed and sealed, and I headed for the license office.

Now, keep in mind I have notarized bills of sale with the details of how they were abandoned in her field 30 years ago, all sorts of info, along with the blessing of the water patrol.

2 Hours later I leave with a hand written note on the license office letterhead that says the seller has to get them titled, going through the abandoned property process (time consuming and it costs) then she can sign them over to me, or, she can write a new bill of sale using an out of state address and I can apply with that. Of course, nothing gets inspected that way, nothing verified, checked for stolen.

What the heck?? That's what I've been doing, it's not correct, but why in the heck am I trying to do things properly??

Guess another boat is going to come from Kansas. I know now why the Water Patrol officer's parting words were "Well, good luck with the Department of Revenue."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Registering old boats - what a crapshoot! 13 years 9 months ago #21710

• TNLark35
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow! What a pain! Here in Tennessee all you need is a notarized bill of sale and enough money! No inspections, no nothing. It does seem like they punish a person for trying to do the right thing sometimes.

Re: Registering old boats - what a crapshoot! 13 years 9 months ago #21711

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
In Ohio, it is a crap shoot as well. Get the right person and life is good. Get a person that really likes their authority and you are in deep do do. If the boat is 14' and under, you don't need a title, but over that you do. No notarized bill of sale will save you either. I don't care if Moses built it and he was standing there with you, Moses better have a title to the boat to transfer it to you. This goes for all titled property I am aware of, like motorcycle and other motor vehicles. Now that I am smarter, I would do what ever I could to make sure that what I was attempting to put in my name, came from a state (wink, wink)that didn't use titles before a certain year and that this boat was at least older than that. I have even been told that if you destroy it, or part it out, you can be arrested for operating a "chop shop" and end up in the pokey. We all know how that place got it's name.

Re: Registering old boats - what a crapshoot! 13 years 9 months ago #21713

I've never been able to get a boat in Louisiana registered unless I have the last registered owner's notarized bill of sale and sign registration papers. I ran my Razorback Fury for a year unregistered and have run my '58 Lone Star Malibu 2 years unregistered. I was lucky enough to get my '64 Lone Star and my '82 Ebbtide registered because I had the correct paperwork.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Registering old boats - what a crapshoot! 13 years 9 months ago #21723

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I was also amazed at how easy it was in Tennessee... I had lived in Ohio before, and as previously mentioned, it was TOUGH there. If you didn't have the old title, it was almost impossible.

In Tennessee, You go in with a bill of sale, which doesn't even have to be notarized for a boat. They photocopy it, you pay your small fee, and they give you the registration paperwork. Fill it out, send in another small fee to the DNR, and you get your registration and stickers... In Tennessee, there is no title involved with boats.

They don't title OR register trailers in Tenn either- That amazed me as well!

Some states make it VERY tough. Others, it seems almost too easy!

-Andrew

Re:Registering old boats - what a crapshoot! 13 years 9 months ago #21729

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Idaho is fairly simple as well.
A signed bill of sale or old registration.
You would think that humans being the smartest creatures on the planet, we could standardize a simple system nationwide. Where there would be no surprise hoops from state to state, owner to owner.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Registering old boats - what a crapshoot! 13 years 9 months ago #21733

Neil wrote:

Idaho is fairly simple as well.
A signed bill of sale or old registration.
You would think that humans being the smartest creatures on the planet, we could standardize a simple system nationwide. Where there would be no surprise hoops from state to state, owner to owner.
Neil

Be careful of what you wish for. They could standardize it, but I'm certain it wouldn't be simple. They would take the worst of each place and combine them.

Re:Registering old boats - what a crapshoot! 13 years 9 months ago #21735

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
You are absolutely right.
We often times tend to over complicate also.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Registering old boats - what a crapshoot! 13 years 9 months ago #21736

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
you know though this is a pretty good thread...i questioned my DNR here in illinois on titling vintage boats...here is my reply:

First of all, I never suggest purchasing a watercraft without a title/registration in fear that they may be stolen. You could possible lose your newly purchased boat and probably be out the money you paid (if seized as evidence). The current owner should apply and gain possession of a title/registration if required by the State they reside in before transfer/sale. I am fairly confident that most States prohibit the sale of watercraft without a title/registration.

Having said that, if you choose to purchase a boat without papers, you will need to contact the IDNR Region Office in your area and request a Conservation Officer conduct a registration inspection. If the officer approves the inspection, you will then be allowed to register/title your boat.

The officer will conduct research on the boat in an attempt to make sure it is not stolen or an insurance claim and not suppose to be destroyed as a result of such claim. We are never certain what we will get into when a boat does not have hull identification numbers, title or registration (if applicable).

Once this is completed/approved, the officer will hand you a copy of the inspection form approving the titling/registration of the watercraft. You will mail this in with a registration/titling form to IDNR.

Good luck in your endeavor to purchase a vintage watercraft.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:Registering old boats - what a crapshoot! 13 years 9 months ago #22287

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
As the man said, be careful what you wish for. I am retired USCG, and spent 25 years in boating safety. The push at CGHQ has always been to get the states (all the states!) to title boats. So far 29 are on board. It won't be all that long before all 50 are.I give it 10 years.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Registering old boats - what a crapshoot! 13 years 9 months ago #22288

Can you just wait a few months and try all over again and hope you get a different inspector that is willing to push this thru? I have learned to NOT go to a certain state rgistration office for boats and trailers here in Minnesota. I use ones where the staff seems to just let anything go.

In Minnesota boats under a certain length are not titled (new or old) and boats over a certain age do not require a title. I have had a simple of bill of sale to get boats into my name, sometimes written on a little scrap of paper.

Boats from the year 1959 or earlier do not have to have the registration number and decal permanently mounted on the boat either. You must have it in the boat on some type of board to display when asked by a water patrol.

Andreas in snowy Minnesota (hey, I did not have to shovel today for the first time in weeks)

Re:Registering old boats - what a crapshoot! 13 years 9 months ago #22289

Doesn't matter who you go to here in Mo, any field office is now a contract office and has to call Jeff City (the only state office) for answers on anything not down the normal path. The inspectors were very happy with everything.

It's the headquarters who gave the instructions to get a bill of sale from someone out of state. I've done it before and was trying to find a clean method in state. Guess I have my instructions. I should follow them.

From past encounters with them, I know if I'd gone out in the parking lot, written my own bill of sale, putting an out of state address and made up name on it, walked back in to the same clerk, she'd have been happy with it. I'm not happy doing that, though.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6576 guests and no members online