Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Super Skeeter in for rebuild

Super Skeeter in for rebuild 13 years 9 months ago #21437

I have a Super Skeeter bass boat I bought from Tom, of Cheap old boats, a couple years ago. I guess it's floated to the top, because I pulled it into the shop last night and started in it.

Besides the general cosmetics any old boat needs that's been banged around for nearly 50 years, someone sawed out the transom and tried to make a new one. They had absolutely no idea what they were doing and it all must be cleaned out. Not only is the wood gone, but they sawed out the glass as well.

It also needs new floors. The floor as such is not bad, the coring is completely waterlogged and soft as butter.

I need to find new Super Skeeter badges for the sides, or have some cast. Both are broken, but there is enough from the two to make one to duplicate if I don't find any.

It's been sitting outside for a couple years. Came in last night.

The transom is just some soft cloth with no core. The original skin is gone.

Cutting the floor goes quick with a 1/16" wide disk on the die grinder.

The core is soaking wet soft wood. It's not end grain, and it's not Balsa. Not sure what it is.

Now I need to sand all the rough stuff that held the coring in, build a transom, install new coring and floor and finish the surface. Not much, huh?

I'm thinking of using one of the foam core materials, then glassing over it for the new floor. Not sure yet, though.

I read of one Skeeter that was rebuilt a few years ago and they re-installed the original floor glass. This was originally built by just blowing chopper gun strands on the uneven coring, though, and I don't think the savings for trying to reuse the original floor would be worthwhile. I'm not sure you could get a good bond without putting a grossly excessive amount of resin on the core an setting the old floor in it.

More to come.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Super Skeeter in for rebuild 13 years 9 months ago #21443

Transom is cleaned up.
Attachments:

Re:Super Skeeter in for rebuild 13 years 9 months ago #21467

Awesome.. I've got a Skeeter Hawk here at the shop that belongs to a friend of mine. We're going to work on it one of these days... maybe... lol

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6207 guests and no members online