Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!!

57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21404

I finally got my boat in the garage this past Sunday. I did some cleaning. I'll add some photo's and a link to my photo album. I plan on uploading every picture I take and I plan on taking a lot, but all work is being done by myself, yes even split and flip deck. Please share your thoughts along the way and kick in the butt if I'm needing it.

It's because of the great people of the forums that I have the courage to attempt this. I am a mechanic by trade and raised in a family own graphics business. I've restored couple VW's and paint a few boats but I never split one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21405

Chris,
Looks good so far. I like your hoist set up. ;)

Bob

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21406

This was the past two days, I'm tired will post more soon.

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21558

Here's a link to my photo album. Please have a look.
PhotoBucket

Now for the questions
The support boards under the front deck is separating from the boa, see following pics

What is a safe way to pull it all back together without stressing the glass to much?

The original transom was only about an inch thick I will be replacing it with 1 1/4 + glass so I had to cut back the sides to make room. I'm thinking about making battery boxes to fit in the sides?

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21564

I figured I'd get some kind of input? O'well thank god for THE BOOK by Jamil Mehdi Thank You!

I even started with the battery box

With no replys on the deck question I just went for it.

Don't forget you can see all the pictures at
PhotoBucket

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21573

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like you're "elbow deep" into in now Chris, thanks for sharing the pics. I can't very well comment or give advise on your current endeavor, since I have absolutely no experience with this aspect of the rebuilding/restoration process. I too am always thankful for those who do share their experience and/or expertise, please keep in mind it sometimes takes a few days to get a response. Rock on buddy, looks to me like you're getting a handle on it! ;)

Mark

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21577

Looks good Chris, like Mark, I cannot offer any personal experience in this type of project. Do you think that clamping the deck ribs has flexed the shape of the deck? I was wondering if the deck flexes enough it might not fit back on the hull? Just a thought, maybe I'm off base.

You're off to a good start - looking forward to lots of progress pics.

Paul

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21583

The deck and hull don't over lap like other boats they sit one atop the other and then glassed all the way around. I think I should be ok with fitting them back together.
I started filling the million holes on the dash and sides. I chamfer (sp) all them then backed them up with muffler tape, worked great. My plan is to move the steering to the left side.
More Pics

PhotoBucket

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21668

I feel I made progress today, but I have a few questions to ponder.

1. The lone Star has two alum. stringers that I found to be full of water and ate my transom. I need to know if I glass in a 3/8 plastic air line to vent/drain in bilge area is a good Idea or bad and I should just glass them up without the tube?

2. Has to do with the keel. My drain plug is at floor level should the keel drain? or again just glass it closed see pic with finger pointed

If ever wonder why a 53 year old transom would give up, how about the 29 holes in the transom alone.

Glassed in some wood in the rear corners, I may want a cleat there at some point

Don't forget to check photo album 21 pics uploaded tonight
PhotoBucket

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21712

More progress today! I got the transom cut and glued. but first couple pics off holes.

I needed my saw horses

Transom

I will cut the top after it drys.

I'm kinda surprised that over 230 views and so few question, comment, opinions, views and ataboys. I hope someone will get something out of all the photos, there is already over a hundred in Photobucket

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21724

Looks like your making great progress. I envy your work space - I'm either in the yard or an unheated garage, so the boat sits until spring up here in Michigan. Someday I hope to get one of those older fiberglass cabin boats. Your project has given me more confidence in taking on a "basket case" boat, which will probably be the only way to afford a cabin boat on my budget.

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21731

I also have a thread over on iboats.com here is a couple of Q&A from there

Did you actually have to cut off the top or was it mechanically fastened?
Yes, my boat the cap sits flat on the hull and a 6" wide heavy mat glassed all the way around

How hard was it to remove and keep it in shape?
Mine held it shap very well. The 2x4 screwed across the back was measured from the loops for the steering before it was split

What are you using for the transom, plywood?
I was waiting for this question. I used 3/4" Sign Board, my parents own a commercial sign / graphics business and I kinda borrowed a sheet. At $120 a sheet it's a pretty good grade with 0 voids. The good thing about it it has been in the shop on a shelf for a year or so and is good and dry

How are your stringers?
I got lucky on this boat the stingers are metal wrapped in glass.

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21761

This is what it looked like in the spring when I traded a push mower for it.

I bought a 40hp Johnson for it and liked it enough to give it a nice paint job

Then in the fall I went to install a speedo and when I screwed into the transom a stream of water came out the hole
So that is how it jumped in front of the '57 Winner that was suppose to be in the garage now

So when I'm done with this one look forward to the Winner next

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21765

chris from the pics i can see(im on dial up)its looks like your doing good,i envy you my boat had to go outside for now but its double covered.
thats a good looking boat when your done you should be very proud,i wish i wasnt on dial up,even on your photo bucket it takes forever for my old computer to show the pics.
i wish i could help some.
by the way i have the same hoist they do help alot,especially when your doing it by yourself,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21766

Looks good Chris...

Keep the pics coming and keep up the good work.

Just 'cause we're not commenting, doesn't mean we're not watching.

I see you are doing something a little different by using the liquid nails instead of glassing the transom together. Should work OK, but usually we use mat and resin to glue things together back there.

Not sure what your question is on the tubes, maybe some more pics would help?

That Winner looks like a great project, I see you have a nice old Gator trailer too. Original package? Any history on that project? Maybe another thread?

What ever happened to your Custom Craft Project? New owner?

Maybe have them check in on NCC when they get a chance?

Great to see you making progress, got to dig in to the Sun Ray after the first of the year. Our group just got a new heated shop, can't wait!

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21779

Chris,
The project is coming along nicely!

Bob

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21833

cc1000 wrote:

Looks good Chris...

Keep the pics coming and keep up the good work.

Just 'cause we're not commenting, doesn't mean we're not watching.

I understand, there is sometimes to know that I'm going in the right direction. This is my first boat restoration project. I have owned boats for the past 7 or so years. Biggest being a 22' Cuddie and that last few been with fins and now I'm hooked!

I see you are doing something a little different by using the liquid nails instead of glassing the transom together. Should work OK, but usually we use mat and resin to glue things together back there.

And I wish I would of never open that can. I have seen and read on other forums it being used. But I would not suggest it. It's messy a PIA to clean up and doesn't dry for shi*. I left for 24 hr with the clamps on then when I went to remove them I seen it start to spread so I re-clamped everything and stuck a dozen or more stainless screws around it. Ground everything flush, duraglassed sanded smooth and now have a layer of 1.5oz mat on each side. Hoping to have my brother give me a hand this weekend lay the rest.

Not sure what your question is on the tubes, maybe some more pics would help?

I want to add the GREEN tubes in the stringers and the keel at the base of the transom for vents. Now I don't know if I should glass the stringer tubes up the transom 6" - 8" like I plan to do with the keel tube or just have them drain flat with the for? Good Idea or bad? There was no vent from factory.

That Winner looks like a great project, I see you have a nice old Gator trailer too. Original package? Any history on that project? Maybe another thread?
It's a 1957 Winner Sabre - 14 foot, I bought it for the 40hp Johnson that I'm running on the Lone Star. I think it will be a fun little project. I like the rear driver cockpit. When this project is done that one might make it in. I also have a 1965 Sabre Craft 16' with a sb ford, thur hull exhaust that need the motor dropped back in and I would like to have that back on the water this summer.

What ever happened to your Custom Craft Project? New owner?
Worse case of SELLERS REMORSE ever! Had it since the day I listed it. But at the time I seen no other way out. I did tell the new owner about NCC and gave him all the info I dug up. I will not disclose his name in hopes of getting her back.

Maybe have them check in on NCC when they get a chance?

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21835

• MarkS

Worse case of SELLERS REMORSE ever! Had it since the day I listed it.

Been there! (STILL there, but trying not to think about it. = Cutter Tornado) Live and learn, right?
Attachments:

Mark

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21837

'63 Sun Ray with 80hp Westbend I/O find another with that option

I better stop before I cry.

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #21840

Mark/Chris Please by all means PLEASE STOP, your making ME cry! :(

Mark, Motor looks familiar on that cutter. ;)

Chris, great looking Sunray. The Lonestar is coming along nicely. Great progress and as others have said I wish I had that kind of room to work. Keep up the good work.

Bob

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #22226

Man it's been a crazy week. Merry Christmas everyone.

I did get some work done

check photbucket for latest photos. I upload there even if im not posting
PhotoBucket

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #22269

Ya know I wanted molded in rear seat and a rear deck right. Well I was walking around back, remember you need boat builders vision and resin fumes might come into play.

I bought this 1960 Lone Star for the motor and trailer. Transom was shot and it had no fins sorry but it was put to rest. When I cut it apart (vision & fumes) I thought about making a bar out of the bow so I saved from the dash forward

This is my first time working with fiberglass in this scale and I must say It's pretty easy and a lot of fun being creative. I suggest you have a dive in approach and a little vision (& Fumes)

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #22271

Very slick idea!

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #22321

The rear deck is coming out awesome! Super strong and saved so much time and labor. Here's a few pics. The sanding blocks I found most useful was the sharpie and the cardboard.

and I got my tail lights cut out

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #22324

• MarkS
Please forgive the (possibly) dumb question Chris, but isn't the rear deck going to prevent you from tilting the outboard up? Maybe you had planned on cutting out clearance, I was just wondering (without the fumes or builders vision, LOL).

Mark

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #22330

MarkS wrote:

Please forgive the (possibly) dumb question Chris, but isn't the rear deck going to prevent you from tilting the outboard up? Maybe you had planned on cutting out clearance, I was just wondering (without the fumes or builders vision, LOL).

Yes, I am going to be cutting in splash well. Kinda working on that tonight, I have a nice aluminum one that runs the width of the transom. If I use it I can keep my glass work to the cap and not have to glass it to the hull. I'm not against joining the two just keeping the options open.

If anyone has any good pics of there splash well and some messurments would be great. My opening in the transom is 22" now how far forward do i need to go?

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #22345

A few more pics

First one is the right seat back corner, I think I'm getting close but I ran out of resin again. 3 gallons so far, ordered 2 more.

Second one is the aluminum splash well I thinking of using. Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be very welcomed.

Third is just where I plan on cutting out the deck and molding into the splash well, but I don't want to cut till I figure out what to cut?

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #22348

Personally I would stay away from the aluminum splash well idea, may save you some time in the short run, but not sure if it would be worth it in the long.

Frank made his own splash well on his power cat, I think he used some sort of foam for the mold. It wouldn't be that hard, although I would increase your mat and resin order...lol..

For a one-off like this, just build the mold right in the boat, (either after you join the top and bottom or mock it up) and start layin' mat. You can play with the foam mold to you heat's content before you start laminating.

You'll be an expert by the time you're done. :)

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:57 Lone Star thoughts and advice welcomed w/pics!! 13 years 9 months ago #22417

Thank you for the replys about the splash well. I'm going to be making one out of glass now. I just need to find out how far forward my motor goes when tilted all the way up. The transom sits a lot lower than the deck.

You can kinda see in this pic the top of the deck and the transom is level with the bottom of the cap. I will be working on that this weekend.

I did get two gallons of resin yesterday so some work got done!

I also glassed in some pvc pipe to run my cables thru

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6678 guests and no members online