Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Herters Flying Fish

Herters Flying Fish 13 years 9 months ago #21287

Hi, I am looking at a 14'-15' Herters Flying Fish. The boat is a dual cockpit with black hull and red topsides. There is an aluminum plate on the bow that says Herters Flying Fish and the wings are cast aluminum. The boat appears to be in good shape but you can easily see the mat in the fiberglass and the windshield is missing. The aluminum rub rails and trim on the hull all appear to be fine. The trailer is also old and may be original. Can anyone tell me the age of this boat and what I should pay for it? I have pictures but don't know how to post them. I am still trying to locate the owner and would like to make an offer when I find him. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Herters Flying Fish 13 years 9 months ago #21290

If the fins are actually cast aluminum covers it's a '56. Fewer of those are around than the later models.
Being able to see the fiberglass cloth texture is normal on a Herters. Missing windshields are common, but they're not that hard to replace.

The upside is that the only wood in the boat is behind the dash. The structural support is cast aluminum. They are, therefore, a lot easier to restore than most other boats.

IIRC I paid $250 for one in similar condition, but that was in 2008. So now you have to decide if the market is up or down.

Re:Herters Flying Fish 13 years 9 months ago #21297

Thanks for the reply. Was 1956 the 1st year of production? I can only hope that I can buy this one as reasonable as you did. Being there is no HIN, what should I expect to get from the seller (title, registration, bill of sale)?

Re:Herters Flying Fish 13 years 9 months ago #21314

'56 was the first year for the Flying Fish.
Get whatever he has and a bill of sale. That's S.O.P. with these boats.

Re:Herters Flying Fish 13 years 9 months ago #21403

Yes, 1956 was the first year of the Flying Fish model. I see you are in Southern Delaware, me too - Delmar. I have a bunch of Herter's "stuff" - catalogs, fishing stuff etc. Let me know if you get the boat. It's good to see another Fiberglassician on the "Shore"
Attachments:

Re:Herters Flying Fish 13 years 9 months ago #21421

this belonged to bob beers from conneticut. he hasn't been around in a few years.
Attachments:

Re:Herters Flying Fish 13 years 9 months ago #21481

Thanks for the information. The boat pictured is the same as the one I am looking at. I live in Millsboro and will contact you if I can get the boat. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions.

Re:Herters Flying Fish 13 years 9 months ago #21482

I had a 58 model and my cousin had a Rocket. They only made about 200 of the 58s Probably less of the 56s. B) Photos buried in a box. Can't get to them right now

Re:Herters Flying Fish 13 years 9 months ago #21490

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
56 is the only one with cast alum fins,and they are not as tall, good luck,Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6399 guests and no members online