• Page:

TOPIC: "Bar Keepers Friend'

"Bar Keepers Friend' 13 years 9 months ago #21139

• vuyosevich
  • vuyosevich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Today i received a surprise package from Frank. When we were up at Frank and Gails home in October, i mentioned to Frank how difficult it is to shine up my bronze prop. He asked if i ever used "Bar Keepers Friend". I'd never ever heard of it. Well he had some and i tried it out on the prop. About 20 min. later i was done,and in that short time it made a big difference. Needless to say i completely forgot about it and today there it was in a package from Frank. Now i have all winter to get it like a mirror. oh btw, one of the blades had a distinct black mark which wouldn't shine up, and Frank said that it was a piece that was welded on at some point from damage. Always learn something when i'm up there. thanks, Frank...Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:"Bar Keepers Friend' 13 years 9 months ago #21142

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
It is also great to use on any stainless steel items. The thing I like about Bar Keepers Friend is that it rinses off clean with no residue.Great stuff!!

Re:"Bar Keepers Friend' 13 years 9 months ago #21153

It's great stuff Ron, and for some reason, I figured you hadn't gone out looking for it.... :laugh:

Frank

Re:"Bar Keepers Friend' 13 years 9 months ago #21156

you have agood heart frank,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:"Bar Keepers Friend' 13 years 9 months ago #21158

Mag wheel cleaner paste works great also. I dab a little on my mag polishing cone chucked into a drill and let her fly. Slowly at first and then with max speed. On big wheels, like an inboard wheel or old Merc wheels it works great. And produces a mirror finish. Mike in "Steelhad sesson is open" oregon. Yipeee.

Re:"Bar Keepers Friend' 13 years 9 months ago #21161

over 30 years ago in the army,we used to use a product called"brasso" on our belt buckles,i think i still have an original can of it somewhere,lol.is it still made?john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:"Bar Keepers Friend' 13 years 9 months ago #21162

• vuyosevich
  • vuyosevich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
right john "brasso" is all they had for buckles at the px. but would it work on bronze too. ron

Re:"Bar Keepers Friend' 13 years 9 months ago #21164

Brasso (for Brass) and Silvo (for Silver of course) readily available in any Supermarket in Australia, if it is not available in US, let me know and I will grab and forward some on for you

Another great product that I have been put onto lately is Purple Polish, magnificent stuff for all kinds of metals - have used it in Alloy and Stainless Steel - magic stuff

Matt

Restoration project - 1959 Bellboy Banshee with 1960 Evinrude Starflite 75hp

Re:"Bar Keepers Friend' 13 years 9 months ago #21166

I "forgot" about this product for years. My mother used it to polish her Revereware pots and pans. Worked like magic on the copper bottoms. I bought some a few years ago and use it all the time.

Re:"Bar Keepers Friend' 13 years 9 months ago #21171

Ya, Brasso. It would take all the anti tarnish coating off of our brass that we used on our uniforms. Once you used Brasso you had to keep polishing your military brass. I had an extra set of "new brass" to put om my uniform for the big inspection. But sounds like it will work well on these old brass props.
Also I use Bar Keepers Friend on my kitchen sinks. Does a great job. And it sounds like it is good for props too. :lol:

Re:"Bar Keepers Friend' 13 years 9 months ago #21172

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
another product that works great for brass and copper is flitz metal polish, i use it in my case tumbler to clean up fired cases before reloading. comes in paste or liquid . frog

Re:"Bar Keepers Friend' 13 years 9 months ago #21182

Ah Brasso and belt buckles I remember it well!!!!!!!!!! It's still made. I got some at Wally World I think. Got it to use on the aluminum for the Clipper. Worked pretty well. I also remember using Mother's Mag Wheel Polish on the brushed "silver" buckle for my Dungarees. Made the darn thing Shiny over time, took the brushing right out!!

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7650 guests and no members online