Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Taking care of my original seats

Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20945

The seats in my 61 Glasspar Marathon are in great shape. Is there anything I should be doing to keep them that way?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20951

would of made a nice pic for the calendar. ron

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20952

Thanks, I'm new here so didn't get here in time.
Attachments:

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20961

just keepem clean and use some kind of armerall on them, But first get some trailer under that transom.......it hurts just looking at that! I can feel the floor starting to HOOK your hull!

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20962

There is another set of rollers right in front of those.

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20966

She's a beauty....LOL....I had one of those V4s....how many fuel tanks do you carry?!

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20968

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
That is a beautiful boat, especially the upholstery! Hoping you have someplace to store it inside, or at least have a good cover to put over it outside? There's a product that was recommended to me by a guy who does upholstery and canvas work for a living (Thanks Doug V153) called 303 Protectant. It's a kinda pricey, but IMO much better than anything else on the market. It lasts longer than Armor-All, Mequires, or anything else I've tried thru the years. And it doesn't leave everything greasy or slick if you follow the directions. It really softens the vinyl/leather and lasts for months, instead of weeks.

When you're taking care of a 'Glassic as pretty as that one, a few more bucks is well worth the added protection, IMHO! ;)

Mark

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20969

Nice boat! If the seats have dried out at all, 3M Vinyl Cleaner and Restorer does an amazing job. Isn't a bad product for an annual "tune up". I used it on my 64 CC Aqua Ray and the seats feel and act like new. Original is something that doesn't come around every day. It's worth investing in the good stuff.
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20973

• MarkS
Yours looks great too Todd, I'll have to give the 3M stuff a try!

Mark

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20976

Alloriginal: I am sure the reason you were able to find a boat in the condition that yours is in is because it was kept inside, covered, and out of the weather and away from the sun and rain during its lifetime when not being used. Giving it a good soap and freshwater cleaning after each use is also a must. Finding a way to keep the boat covered and out of the elements is the most critical factor in keeping it as it is now. The tudors reccomendation of using the 3M vinyl cleaner and restorer is also a good one to start with. Brian

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20978

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi,
I would also recomend the 303. DO NOT USE Amorall, it in fact effects the plasticisers in the material and over time will make it brittle. Make no sense given what it is for but, over the years I have had several upholstery jobs done for my resto's and every shop said NO to Armorall.
Upholstery should be cleaned prior to wiping it on.
My 2 cents,
Randy
P.S. gorgeous interior/boat as said before it's only original once and a redo would be big bucks so it's worth taking care of.
Randy

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20984

wow ,that boat is in beautiful condition,very nice.
as for armorall,i agree,even on tires,i had a camper that i bought used ,but not very old,but the tires had small cracks all over the side wall,the tire shop i go to siad its from puting armorall on them,over time it broke down the sidewalls anlong with the sun.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20986

I used the Armor-all as a generic term, I dont use it. My real consern here is the trailer. Boats Must be supported at the transom or a sag will form at the roller,even if its just a few inches away, Its a beautiful boat......just my 2 cents.

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20989

• MarkS
Ponyboy, It's easy to stir up a firestorm without even trying/realizing it, huh! (I've gotten some lessons on this, still working on the fine art of being careful about the words I choose.) ;) Valid point on supporting the hull right under the transom. AO, can you move the boat back a few inches so the rear rollers are right under the aft end?

Mark

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20993

Yea I have lit a few fires here.....I am a factory trained merc and OMC semi retired tech. but I only use my 2 cents.......lol, Oh and yes please support the hull AT the transom, rollers will work.

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20998

Alloriginal and Todd - Great looking boats!!!!!!!!!!! I agree absolutely NO ARMORALL, for the reason already stated. I have used the Meguires proudcts with good results but I think I'm going to try the 3M next.

Ponyboy/Mark - He does have a set of rollers under the transom you just can't see them. He stated that earlier in the post, you probably just missed it. ;)

Bob

Re:Taking care of my original seats 13 years 9 months ago #20999

Thanks everyone I am going to pull the boat back this minute. I will try what ya'all suggested.I keep her covered and undercover. When I got her she was full of all the old gear. I also am going to carry extra gas tanks. I have only had her out for about an hour since I bought her a few years back. Couldn't get the carbs to kick in right. It started right up, didn't spit or sputter, but wouldn't open all the way up. Everyone I took it to in Il. had never worked on old motors, they were all into this electronic stuff so I didn't let them mess with it. Now that I am in Arkansas I have found a retired Master Evinrude Mechanic. He Knows all about the motor. I worked in a Harley shop in Springfield Il. (Bishops) for about five years and I know if you don't know what your doing DON"T MUCK WITH IT.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7574 guests and no members online