Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Going on a treasure hunt.

Going on a treasure hunt. 13 years 10 months ago #20798

I am going to see a boat I have heard about. It is a 1960's Feather craft that is supposed to have been kept inside for all these years. The owner says it has been in the water less than 12 times. It is said to have a 35 johnson on it. The price is good but I am not too keen on what to look for. I will take pictures and post them. Would like any suggestions on what to look for what to photo or any randon thoughts on buying this to resell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Going on a treasure hunt. 13 years 10 months ago #20801

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello A.O. : Feather Craft being built in Atlanta , Ga are quite big in my Tenn region . Big Dents are the one negative. Other that that guys put a high polish on show boats. There should be a model # stamped into one of the rear transom braces or floor brace. Record any code letters , numbers. Course a steering wheel / deck model nicer than rowboat open seats. Very narrow ones could have been a racer .(?) Take as many pics as you can .

. Heard there may be a one week rally early May in our region. There is a national F.C. club. Record what trailer is under also.

. Looks to be quite nice GLASPAR you have .?? Pvt msg if you wish.

Re:Going on a treasure hunt. 13 years 10 months ago #20806

The Barrel Back boats sell well as do the fin boat vesions...Hawk 2 and Clipper. 12-14' Barrel Backs are worth more than 15' Vagabonds.
If it's truly 1960's it won't be any of the above. If it's anodized and the anodized finish is faded you can't bring it back - so that's a negative.

As Split said, they have a big following in the east - both south and north so your location will affect resale.

I redid this Hawk I and finally got about $1,300 out of it with the really nice Mark 58.

Peter
in Denver
Attachments:

Re:Going on a treasure hunt. 13 years 10 months ago #20811

The guy said he thinks it is a 1966. If it is anodized how does that work in cleaning and polishing it? Can it be polished or waxed?

Re:Going on a treasure hunt. 13 years 10 months ago #20813

Here's a '58 in Drayden MD. You can use it as a price comparison. IMHO I think it's over priced but I'm not big on the aluminums.
washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/boa/2090151028.html

Bob

Re:Going on a treasure hunt. 13 years 10 months ago #20823

Split! awesome picture! The boat in the foreground in the teal and black is my buddy's! see those louvers? They are actually solar cells which he mounted to power his running lights and charge his battery's! cool! ehh?

Re:Going on a treasure hunt. 13 years 10 months ago #20824

An anodized finish is actually a dye. You can do it with food dye and batteries. The aluminum is dipped in the solution which is electrically charged. Sort of like liquid powder coating.

If you want to polish an anodized boat you have to strip it. Oven cleaner will remove the anodization but it's a messy and not always complete process. Wax it? well - sure - but that won't bring back the finish. It's not like paint or gelcoat. There is no good layer beneath the oxidized layer - it's infused into the metal and when it fades it's gone.

I'm not a Feather Craft historian, but by the late 60's they were making mostly fishing boats. It'll be interesting to see what it turns out to be..but don't pay a lot if it's not barrel back or finned.

The '58 Bob links to in MD is an example of faded anodized finish and yes - I'd say it's overpriced.

Re:Going on a treasure hunt. 13 years 10 months ago #20825

Thanks guys. That helps alot. I am interested in seeing what I find. I will take lots of pics and we'll take a look at it.

Re:Going on a treasure hunt. 13 years 9 months ago #21344

Here is what I found. :woohoo: The guy said he thinks this is a 66. I found no numbers. He couldn't go with me so I took a bunch of pictures. He had told somone that it was in as good as shape as my Glasspar. Afraid not.

Re:Going on a treasure hunt. 13 years 9 months ago #21361

Ski-Bo?
Thats a solid $200 boat.

Re:Going on a treasure hunt. 13 years 9 months ago #21371

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Did we BUY IT .?? I see traces of Blue color. Very nice mota.!! If one cleans the floor, should be some ID model codes, like posted above , I believe. Great steering wheel , can't remember the name off hand.
CONGRATS a Barn Find.!

Re:Going on a treasure hunt. 13 years 9 months ago #21390

No I haven't bought it. I would if it was right on the price but it is a little high. He made it out to be more than it was. bUT THAT'S HALF THE FUN IS CHASING THEM.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6482 guests and no members online