Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Recommendations Wanted

Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20672

Dear all,

I am a long-time fan of this site and currently admin another classic boat-related site for Pacemakers (a company that made some rather classic 'glass boats too - with the introduction of the Alglas line in 1967). I've got a 1967 25' Alglas FB Express Cruiser, so I've already got some 'glass under my skin (unfortunately literally, on some occasions).

Regardless, I am here for some advice and counsel. I just moved to Berlin, Germany and I think it would be great to have a smallish (18' to 24') boat here (the city is interlaced with rivers and canals, as is the surrounding countryside. But since the summer is short, I was thinking that a hardtop or semi-hardtop would be really ideal...might extend the boating season. Since the Euro is so strong, and since the US is really home to the fiberlglass runabout boom, I had the idea of finding and importing a decent boat meeting the aforementioned criteria.

But I know there are hundreds of different manufacturers and models out there - so I thought I'd turn to the experts for advice: Anyone care to offer some suggestions RE: makes and models of 18-24' hardtop or "convertible", classic fiberglass boats? Note that I'm not interested in anything ultra-rare (or ultra-expensive). In fact, if I can find a fairly common model that won't cost an arm and a leg in decent condition, I'll be thrilled!

Kind regards,

JoeBobb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20680

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
19' Aristocraft comes to mind. Sliding/ removable hardtop. www.aristocraftboats.com/fiberglassbro.html

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20686

Dorset Catalina

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20689

aristocraft funliner or a catamaran if you can find one. ron

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20690

Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20691

there was an article in a recent issue of aomc re a outboard dealer i think was in germany who had old outboard parts, he might be able to point you towards something there.

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20703

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
thetudor wrote:

Glasspar Seafair Sedan

YES! 17'

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20720

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
J.B. INTERESTING REQUEST: Here is a web sale in my area for a sample This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.<This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> asking $ 500 with NO outboard for one of these LATE 60's Sedans which were stretched to 19 FT by Larson vs the 17 1/2 orig pattern of EARLY 60's Glasspars. We had owned one for a few years here on the Tennessee river & the cabin can really extend the season & keep gals warm inside ,while viewing thru the large glass.

. Hull is a good performer even with only 60 hp outboard.Glad other members also made this recommendation. Guess you need to find one closde to the coast for shipping, but they are desirable in Florida with higher prices. IMO .Again a camper canvas enclosure will give you convertible back space you asked about. GLASTRON also had some small cruisers up thru 1984 (?) brighter metallic paint & have club support to export to Europe.

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20721

When considering costal boats beware of corrosion on the fittings and trim from salt water exposure. Even boats that haven't run in salt water can get corrosion just from exposure to the coastal fog.

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20723

Do you want a boat with an enclosed cuddy cabin? Or would you be satisfied with a hard top runabout?

Since fuel costs are a major consideration in the EU, get an engine with excellent fuel economy.

Some of the hard top runabouts are very attractive. Here are two "West Coast" hard tops that I own. #1 - 1959 Skagit Ski Master 16. # 2 - 1962 Hydro Swift Landau. The supply of these is fairly good in the Western States, West of the Colorado Rockies.
Attachments:

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20732

Thanks to everyone so far for the recommendations. To the question posed by Bruce: I like the hard-top runabouts too. Actually, I was surprised to see pictures of an attractive boat with a functional cuddy-cabin. I was basically expecting to see recommendations of hard-top runabouts. But upon reflection, I think a small cuddy cabin would be sweet - if it had a small portable head, it would be even better (no need to constantly hunt down places for pit-stops, which I think will be a hassle in the middle of a city!).

Kind regards,

JoeBobb

PS: Keep the recommendations flowing, if you all feel like it. I really appreciate it.

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20735

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
J.B. Here is a brochure link for a 19' Glastron only 82-84 , Guess Classic past the 25 yr rule . This would be I/O only . I have been looking for awhile , but sort of rare. www.classicglastron.com/83gl-v197.htm
STARCRAFT would kind of fall in your common area you initiallly asked about ,Aluminum or Fiberglass , sort of lapstrake sides look

.Here is a Dorsett that was mentioned , believe a COBIA would also have a cuddy / overnight cabin.

.. Scan E-bay for other pics / brochure ADS of cuddy boats. CHRYSLER had a 20 ' early 70's .. SEA RAY well made brand had stuff up thru 23 foot mid 1970's.

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20747

There's always MtDora Gary's Fabuglas Commodore Cruiser...
19' Cuddy.. lots of room.. great planing hull. It's in Florida..

View his craigslist ad here:
orlando.craigslist.org/boa/2084778632.html

I'm at the end of refurbishing my own Fabuglas Commodore Cruiser.

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20757

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
J.B. Seem we are hitting all around your Bulls-eye, So went back & read your original request looking for the Buzz Words. "HARDTOP ,-EURO , - BOOM. With a U.S. Flair.? Known to Haul Mail , or Rock & Roll, over here. . maybe you are more of a James Bond 007 European agent - MoonRaker guy. . my best quality is spending other peoples money, so we need to go to the video tape of the best Hardtop, SCIMITAR .

... Asked for BOOM , slight cuddy cabin model GLASTRON Cv-23 82MPH.!

JET model Rooster tail , over your way >?

That is Hauling A.s.s. Euro's out the Headers. Still time to E-mail Santa ...

..... COmpany Brochure www.classicglastron.com/79gl-carlson-cv23.html

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 10 months ago #20758

Having taken a ride in 'Ole Red's Scimitar I'd say that it's a very good suggestion!
Not really a crusing cuddy but somewhat sheltered from the elements...but the speed and handling are incomparable.

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 9 months ago #21143

...007...Love it...

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 9 months ago #21144

almost wished I hadnt seen that Glastron Scimitar

I love the lines of that boat , and now Im on the hunt

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 9 months ago #21145

MadProps wrote:

almost wished I hadnt seen that Glastron Scimitar

I love the lines of that boat , and now Im on the hunt

There's more than one?

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 9 months ago #21146

THawk Sr wrote:

There's more than one?

yeah I found a few already they are pricey looks like the pristine ones go for $18k average.......I found one no motor $5k
but too far from me
I really like this color scheme

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 9 months ago #21149

here ya go one for sale . they are about as rare as hens teeth .

www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3638

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 9 months ago #21281

gil_72gt-160

thanks for the link...this hull is listed HERE in the Glassifieds!
Jeesh talk about under my nose

sadly its across the country and its missing most parts, I have found cheaper already and all the parts were there, but I was a day late
I will find one locally Im sure just a matter of time, that has ALL the parts, as rare as they are , it wouldnt be prudent to buy one missing alot

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 9 months ago #21302

Nice boats. I remember a local boat dealer giving me a "sneak preview" of his Glastron Scimitar.
Went to the annual boat show in my area he had it there. More money than I wanted to spend. At that time I had a Glasstron GT150 powered by an Evinrude 88 88spl It performed nice with the 19" cupped prop about 55 with airguide speedometer. When I bought it, it a had a 60 2 cylinder Evinrude on it. The price was right.
Sold the 60 and the guy put it on a pontoon.
Sold the boat when the transom got soft. Moved onto another boat.
A Glassic B)
Attachments:

Re:Recommendations Wanted 13 years 8 months ago #23990

To all who replied...I realize I'm a little late getting back to the thread, but I wanted to close it with my thanks for the feedback and ideas. I think I'll look for one of the small cuddy-cabin, express-cruisers, rather than the hard-top runabouts. As far as the 007 boat goes...it's certainly interesting - but not exactly my cup of tea. And tragically, in Berlin I think there's not much need for anything that can go faster than a crawl (I'm fairly sure there are significant limitations on speed/wake in the canals).

Kind regards,

Brian

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6658 guests and 2 members online