Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks

Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20611

• billr
  • billr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Taking my Skagit down for new camper canvas curtains later this week. And new V berth upholstery.
When I bought her she came missing the two aft side panels and rear panel that closes off the splashwell.
Up here, to have a 3 - 4 season boat the camper canvas makes the boat spacious and comfortable.
Boy what a difference in ride after installing the new 1/2" MDO deck and foaming the bilges.

I'll get before and after pics, and MORE importantly some pics of her at sea with her new digs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20612

Bill,
Great can't wait to see those pics!

Bob

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20614

• billr
Added pics Bob, shows the original 52 year old Skagit fiberglass stringers, adding the new sole in mdo, filling with foam, gelcoated new soles.
Skagits and Bell Boys with the glass stringers must be the easiest decks to replace, since you virtually never have stringer problems. At least on the pre 1959 models, they changed to a web girder system later on.
Anyway, pics coming after my economic stimulus at www.dougsboattops.com !

Here's some pics of one of my former Skagit boats, Welike. She's a 1956 Skagit 20 Chinook, and still sports her original gelcoat. Her gelcoat is 4 years older than yours truly. Sold her to a couple that Loves her and most importantly Uses her. Here they are visiting us on an overnighter we did in October 2010. Rick's fine Dorsett San Juan is behind her
Attachments:

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20616

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Very nice shot of the boat on the beach Bill. Looking forward to next years campouts.

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20621

• billr
Yes, we'll plan them Jan 2nd!
Here's some shots of you and Mary's Skagit too!
Attachments:

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20625

Excellent work Bill!!!!!! I like all the pics.

Melanie, nice boat!

Now I really wish I had more room for more toys/projects!

Bob

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20645

wow what beautiful boats,bill ,melanie and rick.
bill what a great job on the floor nice color too,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20704

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here are a couple more shots of the group at Hope Island . Pretty flat water that day. Greg Silcox Skagit 20 also ! Calm enough to do some parallel beach parking ! Hope these print this time ? Last time I tried I couldn't get the pictures to post ?

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20705

• billr
Rick shoot me your pics and I'll post them.
R u using google chrome? Wonder if you sould try firefox or ie?
Attachments:

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20706

• billr
Pics of Rick's Dorsett San Juan

RICK, how big are the pics you're trying to post???
I just tried some of your fatty pics which are Huge; they're over the size limit here.
if you are running XP go get the windows powertoy picture resizer, you download that and on your pics just select them and right click on "resize pictures", slick and easy.
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Anyway just trying to help.
Attachments:

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20707

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I tried both boxes , bottom one first then I tried to Edit and used the top one ?

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20708

• billr
check that pic above of your boat, the original you sent me was 4.95Mb, bigger than Clint! I resized with the XP powertoy (see link above). If you right click the pic above you'll see that it's only around 84K now, 1/60th the original size.
Just sent you an email with the pic attached, try posting it if it posts we've found the problem.
If not see if there's a picture posting article in the help forums here.
Rick's Skagit 17 below, formerly Greg's, whose father bought it new. Wow what a nice boat that is. Must be nice to come into the world as a Skagit and get resurrected like this.
Attachments:

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20709

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I already set that up , so I'll give it a try ?

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20710

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
www.irfanview.com/

Free and so easy even I can do it.If you need help I am free tomorrow.

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20711

• billr
Nice Melanie!
Here's Doug's SKagit 20 Express hardtop, bought from the former Parts Manager for Skagit Plastics Inc, Boat Division.
Photo taken from Clint's Skagit 17 Express

Bruce's 58 Skagit 20 bought new by his father, been in the same family and covered since new. Can you tell?!
John's Skagit 16 Ski Master hardtop

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20712

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Another shot of Doug and Dillon after the Laconner Boat and Car show. Pay no attention to the date in the lower corner. I actually snapped this photo this past August.
Attachments:

Re:Camper canvas and upholstery to top the new soles 13 years 10 months ago #20713

• billr
One of my all time favorite shots, Jeff and Michelle's Skagit, the same boat Lee Wangstad rode aboard when he did the Skagit boats article for Boating World.
Look how nicely they sit on the gravel at low tide. I swear they like that, like a loyal dog waiting to go play fetch.

More of Jeff and Michelle's 58 Skagit 20 Express

Uh-oh, Perry Mason drove a Skagit in the TV series.....
Attachments:

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20714

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I think I'm coming down with a serious case of "Skagit envy"! Beautiful boats, great pics, THANKS for sharing.

Mark

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20731

Bill,

Do you know if Jim Just still has his San Juan? I haven't seen him surface on any board in years.

BG

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20733

Wow, I'm with Mark.. I'm jealous. Maybe I should be looking for one those. I think they'd do real well on the Potomac compared to my Clipper.

Bob

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20741

• billr
Yes, he's still got it and the big Suzuki.
He's had some household changes since you saw him last, and also tending to elderly parents.
Chatted with him few weeks back.

See his boat and my Welike two summers ago

Another shot of Jim's Dorsett

A whole bunch of Skagits etc!~
Attachments:

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20743

• billr
hard to go wrong with a Skagit 20.
Dorsett San Juan also nice, as are the Bell Boy 19.
The later Bell Boys also have fiberglass stringers.
Any of the 3 will put a smile on your face!

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20744

Bill,
Thanks, that Skagit 20 is a fine looking boat.

Bob

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20749

I want one! :)

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20753

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
elgindave wrote:

I want one! :)

Just run down to the local Skagit dealer and see their #1 salesman Billr. Here he is in action.

[img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/LaConner_Show_2.jpg [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/LaConner_Show_4.jpg

Actually these photos were taken at the Laconner Boat and car show this past August. Clint aka Strobee has the thankless job of co-ordinating this section of the show. He does a great job every year.

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20755

Skagits are one of the toughest fiberglassic. One of the first with fiberglass stringers. Howard Roberts the cheif designer didn't cut costs om materials when he built a Skagit. One of the quotes about a Skagit is "Even the blackberries can't kill a Skagit". Some pictures of my 3 Skagits a 16ft Skimaster, a 17ft Express, and a 20ft Offshore. The Offshore has the 17fts cuddy cabin which gives extra space on the rear deck, and as you will see it has just been rescued but is still amazingly solid. Clint
Attachments:

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20756

I just love them! :) They are vey unique. (sp)

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20766

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wish I could figure out how to post pictures on this web site ? If this doesn't work I'll have to wait till my kid comes over for some Tech support. I down sized the pictures ??

It worked ! I'll try to add another . This is the 1957 - 17' Skagit Convertible with the Roberts Bearcat and the homelight dash !
Attachments:

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20767

• billr
Damn what a nice boat. And everyone should know you sold it to the neighbor across the street so you can see it anytime!
Did you do Firefox too?
How were you able to finally see the Browse button?

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20771

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
No Firefox , I just downsized the pictures and did one at a time , I had to go to Edit each time and do another. Sold the Skagit to my neighbor with the deal that I can use it whenever I want (If he isn't going anywhere) I'm sure he plans on some sort of Maint. agreement If anything goes wrong he knows where I live ??

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20797

Here's mine that made it to the East Coast somehow!! Yes.....original gelcoat too!!!
Attachments:

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20830

• billr
Nice, looking at your transom you can see the Air O Glide bottom on her. The earlier versions had a sponson hull. I had two 1956 Skagit 14's and had a ball with them, had a Merc 650 on one and a Merc 500 on the other.

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20833

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice looking package ! Very clean and I love the Red & White. Have you seen many other Skagits on the East Coast ?

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20835

• billr
My 1956 Skagit 14 Cohoe.
Check out the pic of her sitting in a surplus yard.
I installed a new plywood deck in her after repairing the factory fiberglass stringer that someone had cut into with a sawzall.
Put a 1964 Merc 500 50hp on her. She gps'ed at 32.8mph with two men in her. What a ball I had with that little boat. When you're used to a 20 it seems like a little puddle jumper, but so easy to tow/launch etc.
Caught a lot of crab in her.

Pic of her on Lake Campbell heading out.

Running the Skagit River, what a blast that is.
Attachments:

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20836

• billr
Since we're showing off Skagits, here's Welike that I owned from 2001 to 2007, bought her back in 2008 and sold her again in 2009.
She's a 1956, original gelcoat.

Welike running a Merc 140hp Stack

Welike out to play with playmate

My 1956 Skagit 20 Tyee hauling u-know-what with Merc V6, wow that was a fun ride! She cooked with that big looper on her.
Attachments:

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20889

billr wrote:

Nice, looking at your transom you can see the Air O Glide bottom on her. The earlier versions had a sponson hull. I had two 1956 Skagit 14's and had a ball with them, had a Merc 650 on one and a Merc 500 on the other.

Thanks Bill!.... Yep, Air O Glide. Thing turns real tight too!

Re:Skagits! Camper canvas and upholstery, new decks 13 years 10 months ago #20890

bham-rick wrote:

Nice looking package ! Very clean and I love the Red & White. Have you seen many other Skagits on the East Coast ?

Thanks! The red and white is what got me. And no, I have yet to see one here on the east coast! I keep lookin' though!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7724 guests and no members online