• Page:

TOPIC: time for motor stands and garage set ups

time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20508

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
all the folks that have been here awhile have already seen these,but for those that havent,here is a motor stand made from a 20 dollar furniture dolly,it has a 5 degree rake to it,also the fold up tables i designed,i hope they can help someone new here,john
these are the fold away tables,my garage is only 14x24 so i need all the room i can get,heck everything i could put castors on it,i did.
i also have a 4x8 homemade table the the legs fold up inside its self and then i can hoist it into the rafters. every angle on these tables are at a 45 degree angle,and the bottom support board is ripped at 45 degrees and screwed into as many studs as i could.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20511

Very nice John.

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20515

Hi John,

Great idea, these look really nice. Ralph

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20519

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks chris and birch,i think i have pics of the 4x8 table too.here it is up in the rafters ,on a electric hoist ,plus rachet straps for extra safety,its also on castors

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20527

Each to their own, but I don't like pine or fir for the transom on an engine stand. I use plywood there, usually two pieces of 3/4" fastened together.

Frank

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20530

I have motor stand made of 2x4s and 2x6 across the back for motors to sit on and have a 75V4 and a 75 Stinger on it and it hasn't bent out of shape yet and been there for a year. It is all put togather with long screws.
John that setup sure looks great
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20534

John,
Excellent set up. I know what you mean about the space. Everything I have is on casters so I can wheel it out when I need to work. Ideally I would like a 20'x30' workshop but can't do that so I have to cram it all in a 2 car garage and still keep one car in it! I built a 12'x28' shed for the boat and garden stuff and still don't have enough room! That's why the wife says "no way" every time I look at another boat! LOL

Frank know what you mean. I did what Mike did though. I had some leftover 2"x4"s and a piece of 2"x12" and used it for the mounting board. Worked fine for the tear down of the Fat Fifty.

Bob

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20539

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
was curious that winch you have to you use to split the deck off boats?....how is mounted in the rafters and what is its lbs. rating?

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20556

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks guys the plywood is also a good idea,i built it in 20 minutes just before ed got here with the boat and motor,2x4s were all i had,its been over a year now andno problems,that is a 63 starflight 75 hp on it too.
thanks path ,i have a wider one in my basement so i can put a cut off plastic barrel under the motor.
,thanks mike,yeah me too the bigger one in the basement has a leftover 2x12 for the motor to sit on.
matt yes i used it to split the deck from the hull in the lido,i also used it to hold up the front of the sunray while i took the trailer out from under it.plus it takes big heavy motors off with ease.
its mounted on 2 2x12s going across the rafters with supports above and below them.
then there is a 2"x2" square steel tube,1/4 inch thick steel,with old back hoe teeth on them,at the ends so it doesnt slide off the 2x12s.
the 1100 lb hoist is attached to that.in the 2nd pic the 2x4 under the 2x12 is not a part of it,its a brace that the builders put across from wall to wall,i didnt make it that crooked.
in the last pic it shows a little of the shelves i built with storage underneath for things like extension cords,air hoses etc.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20557

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bob i know what you mean,i put my 4x8 table in the basement,just so i could do the up holstery on my boats,im just now learning ,and figuring out how to use my grams 1917 treadle sewing machine,to do upholstery,i had to put a new belt on it,and thread it and the bobbin,i dont have any manual for it so it took a little time but i got it figured out and started to play with it,heres a practice peice its my 1st time sewing so i wasnt concerned yet with straightness as much as was with running the machine.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20563

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Glad to see you got the machine going! looks like its sewing well from what I can see!

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20565

John,
Glad you got the machine running. Looks good so far, can't wait to see the finished product.

Bob

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20566

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks jesse and bob,but dont get your hopes up,lol,this is all new to me when i did the sunray there wasnt a stitch in it,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20567

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey John, well built stand and tables. I done me a stand about like yours for my parts motor out of some scrap lumber I had. Looks like your really talented on a lot of different stuff. Btw, what size evinrude you got on your stand? ....edit... DUH I should have paid more attention to your post. :lol: Good lookin 63, John..jim

Re:time for motor stands and garage set ups 13 years 10 months ago #20568

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good to see that you got that machine up and going, John- Looks like a great start! I can't wait to see your upholstery project come along. I'm sure it will be nice... I've found a place online that has nice Marine grade vinyl for $9.90 a yard- And they have matching piping, etc.

www.garysupholstery.com/

I have some samples of the Capitano-
www.garysupholstery.com/foamback.html

It's pretty nice stuff... I think I'll be using it on the Glasspar. I'd use it on the Lake N Sea if it came in pink :)

-Andrew

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7537 guests and no members online