Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for?

So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20258

• stashm2
  • stashm2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello All,
So I purchased a 1968 Merc 1250 long shaft no T&T looks like it will be a Runner, I am not looking to buy another boat yet but am looking for input on what type of boat I should look for to run this engine on?
I like stability, and some speed but within reason, I am fairly new to this power boat thing and love my Wagemaker and its Merc 500 but @ 30 mph a little more speed could be fun. Any sugestions welcome!
Thanks
Jesse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20260

A 14 or 15T Power Cat. Seems to me there's one for sale over in VT too for like 500 bucks. Want me to check? Only thing is, most of them have short transoms. I rebuilt mine for a long shaft. You could always get a jackplate!

My Power Cat 14T with an old Merc 1000 runs 45 and is very stable.

Frank

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20266

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I may want to look into it, but not at the moment mostly looking to get an idea of what I want to go with, I imagine any boat I look at will likely need the transom rebuilt just as a good measure to support the larger engine. I thaught about testing it on my Wagemaker its suposedly 17 foot but I think its actually closer to 16 and I am not sure how it would work out or if it will hold together... its only 75 HP more than I am using on it now.... lol thank you for the input. I could always fix up the Renken 18 it came off of but its a darn ugly boat.

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20268

No use foolin around with an ugly boat. We've had a few threads about ugly boats.

They're not classic really and I don't know what height transom, but Hydrostreams when you can find them are great boats. But beware, they have balsa cored floors. Stay away from anything with a balsa cored floor that's rotten. Fixing them is not for the weak of heart!

G3's are also a gas, but again, short transoms I think. Lots of folks built taller transoms and/or use jack plates to run standard shaft motors.

For classic sports boats, I don't think you can beat G3's and Power Cats. They were the Corvettes of their day on the water. I just found out that Power Cat over in VT is sold. Power Cats are few and far between in the NE here. They were made in CA and TX. I just lucked into mine, kind of a long story.

Frank

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20270

That a pretty tall order, that is, suggesting a boat for a 1250 merc, I am running one on my 60 G3 and if ya ask me its too much engine for a 13.7' boat. What kind of boating are you interested in? classic , sport, cruiser? I have a custom craft that needs a home.

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20281

i vote hydrosteam or checkmate,although not quite glassics. but their super cool boats

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20284

sidewinder,cobra,switsercraft,Gw Invader,.......lol

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20296

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Jesse
The one that you choose will be the right one.
You will take all sorts of suggestions that you will have to sort through, all good.
But in the end you will find one that sits in the water just right, one that has that unique line in your eye, that hull with the right color in the right place, etc.,etc.
In a thread here in FG, I asked a similiar question and one of the members answered "Pick the right one for you, pour your heart and soul into it, make it your own, and be proud of it."
So my two cents would be, if it has a Merc 6 stack pushing it and you worked on it, and you are driving and enjoying it, that is the right boat.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20320

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I thank you all for the input so far! I just want to make sure it will be a fun cool safe boat. I was thinking the G3 would be neat but again with the Safe with 125?....

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20332

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hydrostream, Checkmate, Allison, Sidewinder all had boats in the sixties that would fly safely with that Merc, but power trim would make you happier if you got one of them.

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for 13 years 10 months ago #20334

Carlson Contender would make you happy with that motor, if you have the bug for speed, our member Milkdud (Conrad) has one on you-tube you could see running with a couple different hp towers of power
I also have a contender for a 110hp merc...not yet in the water though
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=carlson+contender

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20348

Glastron GT150 or GT160? The 150 was rated for a 90hp. They used to run bigger ones on it. There is one in a James Bond movie. :woohoo:

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20356

maybe this is what ya need

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20358

jesse ,i think there is a carlson somewhere around frank a,im pretty sure the guy wanted 400,but the transom is not good,if i remember right,its not far from you then,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20359

jesse i think this is the thread about a carlson conteder up by you and frank,i might be wrong about the transom,it might be good,im not sure,is this boat big enough though for your motor,john
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/main-forum/contender#5563

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20365

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
A Glastron CV16 would be the ticket .. looks fast sitting still Alot like the GT boats and alot of them around at good prices ..Thier fast and Stable at speeds under 70 ..And the Chicks Dig them at the boat landings ....L.O.L... Your Motor with tilt and trim Would push a CV 50ish with the right prop ...Just my oppion ..Because I love Mine ...

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20369

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thank you all for the input! I will be looking to get something in the spring! There all neat boats, I am sure I will find one that speaks to me when the time comes! though I like Ponyboys last pic the Red and white cat... Ray looking boat...

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20378

Im putting my house up for sale this spring........maybe a good time to see if I will sell it

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 10 months ago #20409

Cant go wrong with a Glastron GT160 , fast boat , a real head turner.

heres two Glastron GT160's goin at it

Re:So I have the engine, Now what boat to look for? 13 years 8 months ago #22944

If you put that engine on a G3 you're asking for trouble. They are neat looking boats but from everything I've read they are uncontrollable over 50 mph. I plan to find out myself this coming summer if I can get mine repaired and on the water. Most of the other boats mentioned would be good choices.

CV

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6596 guests and 2 members online