Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Cutter Jet De Ville

1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20021

Maybe I am asking the wrong question concerning worth. Is this boat rare or are they a dime a dozen?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20029

vt,boy i wish i could tell you they are a dime a dozen,then i would try to buy the parts off of it,but i have to be honest.
if the hardware says vollrath on it and its stainless steel,the bow light alone and the cleats are hard to come by.the steering wheel may also be vollrath.
but if you decide to put them on ebay atleast give me achance at them,lol.i need the steering wheel and windshield too,
i have been looking for these parts for awhile and would love to get them cheap,but like i said you will make more from them by putting the parts or the whole boat on ebay.
post some pics of it,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20030

oh yeah...cutter made the jet deville in 1958,59 and 60,just 3 years,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20031

john-gibson wrote:

oh yeah...cutter made the jet deville in 1958,59 and 60,just 3 years,john

The Jet Deville was built in '57 also. They aren't really rare, you see quite a few of them, but they are nice boats. As for value, they are like most of these old boats... in rough shape $50-400, running and in decent shape $700-1200, fully restored with $6000 invested about $1500-3000. lol. Mainly depends on how much you like it as to how much it's worth. Would love to see some pictures.
Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20040

doug ,you are probably right about 57,but i was going by the brochure in the glassic lirary,it lists the years and models of the cutter company,they dont mention the jet de ville in 57.im probably wrong though,lol,i usually am,lol.john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20042

here is what i was going by... opps sorry ill try this,lol,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20043

from 1957 untill may of 1960 cutter was part of the owens yacht company,then it was sold to brunswick,and the end was in 1962.

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20044

They did build a Jet Deville in '57, but it may not have actually been introduced until '58 or late '57 and billed as a '58 model. The only way I know they were building them in '57 is that James Cripps, co founder of Razorback boats, worked in Cutter's mold and & production area in 1957.

In fall of that year he purchased a Jet Deville and his brother in law (the other co-founder) traveled from Arkansas and picked it up. The boat was brought back to his garage in Little Rock, a month late Cripps quit Cutter, and the brother in law duo splashed a mold and the Razorback Boat Co was born. They named it "Ski Jet" and it was introduced in the early spring of '58.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20048

doug great info,cool too,do you have any pics of a ski jet,i would love to see it,sounds very cool,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20049

Here's a couple of brochure pages for the '58 Ski Jet along with one for the Cutter. They copied the Cutter design exact except for the center "V" design on the nose. That was the only change made.

I've got tons of Razorback info and photos but non of that is in the Razorback section, other than the brochures. Owens/cutter raised a big stink over the copy of their Jet Deville, so in '59 the boat got a few changes, mainly a taller deck and different motor well, but still kept the overall design. I've also included some pics of my '59 Ski Jet. It's still very similar to the Cutter of '59 and up.

Attachments:

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20054

thanks doug thats some cool history,and its funny that they say"its here today-others will copy it tommorrow",especally when they were the ones doing the copying ,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20091

There is a 58 Jet DeVille for sale in NH. Don't know anything about condition or hardware. newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/2060998769.html

A friend of mine also has one, but I think it is just the glass hull. He plans on getting rid of it, but tends to be unrealistic on price.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20480

• Michael-Claudon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
VtGuy's 59 Jet Deville is now in one of my sheds.

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20481

• Michael-Claudon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
And I am getting used to how this forum's interface works and does not work.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20482

michael,welcome,and thats cool,i see its a port side drive,you better hide that bowlight,lol,i might be around,lol.i see it came with a merc too,nice find,it looks alot like mine,i have the wndsheild but its cracked,so im going to have to make one,john p.s. do you have any other pics of it?

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20483

• Michael-Claudon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
One more time...
All the hardware is Vollrath, but I have not checked the steering wheel.

Like John Gibson, I am missing the windshield - any leads on who might be making replacements or might have an OEM sitting in a back shed?

I am mainly a woody restorer, but two glassics have shown up on the Vermont Craigs List in the last few weeks, this Cutter, and a 1957 Glastron Surf Lite, which is in the shed as well.

I look forward to participating in this forum, most likely mostly to learn, but also to share the trials and tribulations of restoring these two boats with others in this community.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20484

• Michael-Claudon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
John, I have a bunch of pics, but am not having much success posting more than one at a time. (I will lock the bowlight away, LOL! Oh, the Glastron has the identical bowlight.)

Is there a way I can send a batch of pics? Or email them to you offline?

If/when you move to get a replacement windshield made, give me a holler. There's an outfit nearby in VT that can reproduce them from an original. I'd be more than happy to share costs and maybe save each of us a bit by having two made at once.

Yes, the Merc is cool, and should push this little hull along nicely.

Michael

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20485

heres mine ,the windshild will be hard to find,be glad you ave all the hardware,mine was not it when i got it,and the search for afordables ones are hard,but thanks to my friends here i have come with some cleats.my wheel is a little differnt.the windsheild flares out at the bottom,hard to make.john
micheal,you can post more then one pic,by hitting edit then do the browse again,and my email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20487

• Michael-Claudon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
One more pic..
Attachments:

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20488

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Congrats on scoring the De Ville Michael, nice find. We'd love to see some pics of the 57 G-tron too, when you get a chance.

You can post multiple pics in one post by inserting the first one and hit Submit like you now know. Then immediately hit the Edit button and insert a second pic. Hit Submit again and repeat for as many times as you would like. It sounds a little cumbersome, but isn't that bad once you get used to it.

Just don't EVER hit the back button on your browser while you're posting.......... :ohmy:

Mark

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20489

• Michael-Claudon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for the guidance, Mark. Here are some more photos of the Cutter. - Michael

Re:1959 Cutter Jet De Ville 13 years 10 months ago #20491

• Michael-Claudon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mark, the G-tron is a but buried right now, but I surely will take shome photos and post them to the Forum. She needs much more work than the Cutter does. For one, I will have to build the front bench and the two aft benches from scratch, as they are completely gone.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.327 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7621 guests and no members online