Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bellboy Bikini

Bellboy Bikini 13 years 10 months ago #20016

I was doing some research on the internet on the Bellboy Boat Company. I came across an interesting boat called the Bikini. Does anyone have any information on this boat? Are these boats avaliable to buy?
Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Bellboy Bikini 13 years 10 months ago #20024

Word on the street is that all were destroyed. Some additional information is available in the Classic Boat Library:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Bellboy

As a consolation, you might like the Chris-Craft Cobra. There's one for sale here: www.carolina-classic-boats.com/item_detail.asp?item_id=343

Examples of the Chris-Craft Cobra rarely come up for sale, but you might be able to have one built for you:
www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/ChrisCraftCobra.htm

Re:Bellboy Bikini 13 years 10 months ago #20034

Lee Wangstad has published an article or maybe articles about the Bell Boy Bikini. I think one was printed in The Boathouse magazine. It MIGHT be available on-line at www.acbs-bslol.com

Andreas

Re:Bellboy Bikini 13 years 10 months ago #20039

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
J: Interesting boat. Never really saw one myself, but part of the hobby to keep a long time search going. Years ago a Mag article told the story of Mark Mason who searched out a famous Gold Cup racer called Baby Bootlegger. Even after the elusive owner told him "He ordered the boat burned" , would not stop & eventually found the boat in a warehouse in Canada.

.ThompsonBoat" THANKS for the above link , in the Show Photos there is a runabout that has just became public again after our 20year search for my wifes old ACBS winner.

Re: Bellboy Bikini 13 years 10 months ago #20125

Thanks for the info !

Jack

Re:Bellboy Bikini 13 years 10 months ago #20127

Thank you for the information. I looked at the website quickly and it has some great information.

Jack

Re:Bellboy Bikini 13 years 10 months ago #20128

Thanks for the information and help !

Jack

Re:Bellboy Bikini 13 years 10 months ago #20221

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
Art Nordtvedt, the founder of Bell Boy, came to one of our Fiberglassics NW events about 6 years ago. He told us they cut up the Bikini's for liability reasons. As I recall, and Lee can chime in, one or both had Ford 390 V8 power.
Lee did an article in Boating World on them and might have that to share. Lee, remember how rough it was on Lake Washington when you rode with our Skagits up here with your brother?!!
What a day.

Re:Bellboy Bikini 13 years 10 months ago #20339

Hi Bill,
I'll never forget that day. I have a lot of respect for you Northwest guys and the way that you boat! It was an incredible day on the water. I'm out of town right now but will be home in a couple of days and look up the information. I did a couple of in-depth interviews with Art quite a few years ago while on another visit to the coast. One of the Bikini's was a single screw and the other was a twin. I was thinking Cal Connell Cadillac's or 312 Interceptors, but I'll have to double check when I get home. The old memory bank isn't what it used to be. There has been talk of re-creating a Bikini, but I haven't heard anything on that for quite a while.

Lee

Re:Bellboy Bikini 13 years 10 months ago #20398

Here's a little different image of the Bikini from 1957. In all the news accounts of the day they only mention that it was available with either a single or twin Interceptors. They were looking for 100mph, but Art said that he only had it to 85mph, and he was the only person to ever drive it. The photo of Arch Talbot and Ted Jones was a photo shoot where the boat was eased into the water with them in it and then brought back out after the photo was taken. Art thought that with more development it was capable of 100, but he hadn't got it there yet when he left. Upon his departure the two boats were stripped of engines and hardware and demolished. Art went on to form Uniflite later in 1957.

I've included the specs for Dearborn Marine for 1957 and they were using the 272, 292, and 312 Ford Y-block engines that year and in 1958. My guess is that they were the 312's. Only speculation on my part. Here is the entry for the Interceptor's for 1957 and also the specs. I'm just kind of getting up to speed on my inboard knowledge, I'm mostly an outboard guy. I'm trying to broaden my horizons and not be so limited. I even picked up a wood boat a couple of weeks ago. Yikes!

Lee

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6648 guests and no members online