• Page:

TOPIC: '60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac

'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 10 months ago #20010

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
OK this was last weekend but I've been on travel all week. Just got back. I have two quick clips but can't seem to post them. Here are a few pics anyway.

These were taken on the Virginia side. Drove straight across and ran up and down that side.

Even got the wife to take the wheel!

As you can tell from our garb it was still a littel cold but nice and sunny! Unfortunately I think that was the last weekend we'll have so it will be time to put her away for the winter, the boat that is! :laugh:

Will do the mods to the motor now aslo, along with the trailer restoration if I can just figure out how I'm going to put her on blocks in the shed to do that....

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 10 months ago #20011

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Great pics Bob, looks like you had a beautiful day to enjoy. (Even if it was a little chilly!) Looks like the wife is a natural, gotta give her "props" for taking the helm. ;)

If your motor has a little trim tab under the cavitation (ventilation) plate, you can move it in the direction the motor is pulling to correct the torque steer. (A little at a time is best.) If it's pulling right, move the tab to the right some and try that.

Mark

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 10 months ago #20112

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark,
Thanks, I looked and unfortunately I do not have a trim tab on the motor. I may have to over correct the steering cable or have to buy trim tabs. I don't rememebr the boat pulling that way when I was a kid but heck that was so long ago...............LOL I'd ratehr not put tabe on her to keep her original but if that's the only way to fix her I may have to.

Bob

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 10 months ago #20119

Bob,

Nice that you can take your family along on the adventure.

I don't know if you got my note - but i found a set of gaskets for your engine while cleaning my shop. If you end up needing them, I'll have them. As for the steering wheel pulling - the most all older boats "torque steer" , and the best way to solve the problem is with a modern "no feedback steering system. Teleflex sells these for around 200 bucks. It does away with the old cable & pully system. With older OMC engines, it is a little more of a job to adapt them, but it's not bad. Also if you want to keep the original steering whel & Bezel - that can be pretty tricky. I did the upgrade on my Reinell, and it is MUCH easier to drive now. The steering wheel stays where you put it - you can even take your hands off the wheel (though your not supposed to do that) and the boat goes in a straight line.
Attachments:

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 10 months ago #20121

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bruce,
Sorry meant to get back to you. Thank you sir I didn see the note. I haven't had time to check local yet but if it's been like my last scrounging I may take you up on it. Haven't been too lucky. I'll investigate the steering upgrade, although I think if I try and buy one more big ticket item for this boat the wife is going to shoot me! :lol: I'm already saving my pennies to buy new tanks for the spring. The three 6 gal original metal Evinrude ones I have are ok but I think two 9 gal plastic ones would probably be better.

I still have to come up with a name for her, the boat that is. The wife now thinks it should be named "Bob's Life" !

Bob

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac Update 13 years 9 months ago #20926

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, my friend finally came thorough with the pics she took of the Clipper actually out on the Potomac and away from a dock! LOL These were the best of the lot. Just a couple to close my season.

Slow pass (putt putt)

Getting ready to take off.

Taking off about 3/4 throttle (crab traps everywhere)!
Attachments:

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 9 months ago #20927

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Lookin' great out there Bob (& Mrs. Waterwings). The Clipper looks FINE out there, and the smiles on your faces tell the story we all love to hear and feel firsthand. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Mark

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 9 months ago #20931

Nice boat motor combo! I power my 60 Larson All-American with a 59 Fat Fifty. I think a Merc was on it first because it has Ride Guide cable steering. Also evidence of a different motor mounted on it. Mine is a short shaft is yours? :)
Attachments:

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 9 months ago #20944

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Dave,
Thanks. Sweet combo you have there also! ;) My Fat Fifty is actually a long shaft. The cover is stripped because I was getting it ready to repaint but I just had to get her on the water this season. I'll repaint some time this winter.

Funny you should mention a Merc becasue I just picked one up today. Took me almost all day to get it off the boat it was on but it came with power tilt and all for $100! I'm going to post it separately in the Merc forum. It's a 800EL from '61 I think.

Bob

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 9 months ago #20947

I'm jealous. How come I can't find deals like that?
I do have a 62 Merc 700 FGS on my old Lone Star Fleetwood. No T&T though.
Attachments:

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 9 months ago #20950

i wonder why i like that motor so much... :)

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 9 months ago #20955

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Dave/Ron very nice motors. As far as never finding good deals, I thought that for a long time. This one came up through Craigslist by chance. It was attached to a Glasspar 16VT that was in terrible shape. Could probably been saved, maybe, with a good year or so of work. Much more than any one else either. I was all modified as a fishing boat anyway. The motor does seem to be frozen but It should be to bad.

Bob

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 9 months ago #20957

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Bob
I am interested in the Merc 800EL and T/T if you are going to part with it. Cloud white right?
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:'60 Clipper and Fat Fifty on the Potomac 13 years 9 months ago #21000

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Neil,
Yep Cloud White and I'll keep you in mind if I decide to part with it. Not sure how to get it to you cheap from the east coast. It's my first Tower of Power Merc so I'll probably keep it. Plan on getting it running and looking good first. I have a plan on what to put it on but I'll have to work on the wife to make that happen. LOL

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7668 guests and no members online