Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seat replacement for 65 Avalon

Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #19892

Any advice ? Would it be less expensive to repair seats , the ones in the boat, are pretty much toasted. Or just buy new ?
Any suggestions welcom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #19897

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome Avalon65. Any pics of the seats you're talking about?

Mark

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #19923

Thanks for your reply. Have not taken any pic's of seats as yet.
Just got boat out of storage. Been in Storage for 8yrs. Will post pictures by end of month.

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #19924

• MarkS
Just wondering if they were bench, back to back "lounge" style, or what. (I'm not familiar with the Avalon.)

Mark

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #19945

Those seats are I think are fold down " lounge seats. They are the orignal seats, that came with the boat, when I bought it, in '98. The Glasspar , is a '16ft. Avalon model.
Thanks.

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #19947

Those seats are I think are fold down " lounge seats. They are the orignal seats, that came with the boat, when I bought it, in '98. The Glasspar , is a '16ft. Avalon model.
Thanks.

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #19950

How do I confirm, the model and make of my '65 Glasspar, Avalon
model. I have serial #s, on both the boat, and the " Johnson Seahorse, 40. I understand that the numbers are often a little off ?
Any truth to this ? Thanks in advance if anyone can contribute.
Avalon65

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #19951

• MarkS
Ah, okay. Went to the FG Library and checked out your boat there. Looks like the lounge seats were the only ones in the boat, so replacements are an option:
www.iboats.com/Back-to-Back-Lounge-Boat-Seats/dm/cart_id.371496238--session_id.343329805--view_id.473666
or
www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/WIS-WD505P-1-660/360004/Back+To+Back+Seats/Deluxe+Two+Tone+Back+To+Back+Lounge+Seat.html

If your bases and foam are still good, you may want to check on getting them recovered at a local upholstery shop. (I've heard it's pretty expensive, but haven't checked it out yet.)

Mark

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #19954

you can also check cabelas ,thats where ed got the sunray seats.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #19967

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
If the serial number on the boat is alphanumeric (something along the lines of 16CC5234) post it and I'll see what I can tell you. If it is all numbers I'm afraid I can't do much with it. '65 was a change over year for Glasspar on style of serial number. Pretty sure the '65 Avalon would have an Avalon logo on the dash...my '64 does. '65 Avalon would also have a plexiglas windshield rather than glass from the other ones I've seen.
On the seats I think you'll find newer seats will be a bit tall in most cases. Be sure to measure the height of the seat cushion for comparison to a new seat. Might be able to modify a new one so it will sit lower but still something to keep in mind.

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #19982

My '65 Avalon has the back to back seats. Looks like they had been replaced shortly before I bought the boat. Brand is Wise. Probably from a mail order source. Unless you have a good local source for upholstery, it may be cheaper to buy new replacements. The PO used the original bases, so the heighth is lower than the new ones appear to be in the catalogs.
Attachments:

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #19988

yes the seats we got for the sunray i had to cut down the bases,they were 10 inches high,i also had to cut them to go up over a step up platform,and to conform to the bottom of the boat,does you boat have a flat floor ?heres what i had to do to the bases,john heres a pic and in the background is how they came with 10 inch bases,in front is how i had to cut them down,(the black plastic,its upside down in the pic to show that i had to add wood supports. this is why it was a little tough to cut them down,the inside is kind of honey combed,but none of it is uniform. and heres the starbord side finished and reupholstered,the port side had to be cut down just the oppisite because of the floor not being flat,i hope these help out,john hopefuly in the last pic here,you can see why i had to cut out for this step up.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #20005

Thanks Mark, for the web-links. Well check those out!
I think that replacement seats are the way to go.
Avalon 65

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #20006

Thanks so much for , checking on those resources. My serial # is

16AC5155 the plate is located on the right side .

My boat does have a plex wind shield.

TX Avalon 65

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #20007

John many thanks !!! Good work, on the seats. Yes this will help me in restoring my seats as well. Good advise. Yes those pictures sure did help.

Avalon 65.

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #20008

Thanks once again. Your advise about those seats will help. Will check out several options. Will keep that brand name in mind.
Pics are very good.

Tx Avalon 65

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #20013

avolon check on ebay right now,they have lounge seats at good deald,just type "boat lounge seats."

---Mark Twain

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #20014

If your not in a big rush for them I would keep an eye out on craigslist and ebay. A lot of people redo their boats in the winter, last winter I found a nice set of white lounge seat for my '65 Sabre Craft on craigslist for $100. They are like new only used for a short season and the guy just wanted more color in the boat. I wish I could afford to buy new but you got to remember they are only new for a very brief moment.

Re:Seat replacement for 65 Avalon 13 years 10 months ago #20171

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
1965 Avalon (base mode....Avalon Custom would have a C in place of the A) built at the Santa Ana, CA plant. 155th Avalon off the line.

16 (length in feet)
A (model)
C (Plant)
5 (last digit of the year built)
155 (build order).

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6794 guests and no members online