TOPIC: replacement hardware

replacement hardware 13 years 10 months ago #19741

• Shipster
  • Shipster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
I just recently bought at auction a 1959 Crosby 16' Fish and Ski with no motor. It seems to be a case of "a little old lady drove it to the grocery once a week" type of boat. The hull and deck are in structurally good shape but the hardware is deeply pitted. I believe the hardware is all original but I sent one of the step plates off to be stripped and it came back looking as if I would not be able to save any of it without grinding it all down to remove the pits. What I would like to do is moth-ball the original hardware and get all new chrome plated bronze to reinstall on her. I also would like to find a clamp on 40-50hp period motor. I've done a fair bit of sailboat restoration but that usually involved simply replacing what was there with new rigging and hardware. This is my first period restoration of a motor boat and I want to give it the love. My wife and I are crazy about this boat and we don't want to make any more mistakes beyond the step plate. Our intention is to keep her as mint as possible. We're in the Chesapeake Bay area and I would love any and all feedback that anyone may have. Thanks. And many, many thanks to our veterans.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:replacement hardware 13 years 10 months ago #19745

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Congrats on a nice find, Shipster, and welcome to FiberGlassics. We have a few Crosby lovers around here, I'm sure some will gladly chime in and help out with anything you need to ask. In the meantime, have you checked out the FG Library? There's a great section on your boat there:
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Crosby
(and note the link on the bottom of the page to take you to Crosbys still in use, etc.)
Keep us posted on your progress, and post lots of pics in the process, okay!?

Mark

Re:replacement hardware 13 years 10 months ago #19755

Great find. I can help you find the period correct hardware. It occasionally shows up on ebay, but I can tell you exactly what should be used. Have yet to find a period Crosby that doesn't use this hardware.
Attachments:

Re:replacement hardware 13 years 10 months ago #19766

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
S: Congrats on a nifty brand & model . Wonderful your wife like the hobby also . Do you have room for another or two .? There are some Glasspar chapter people in your area of C, Bay. May look in 2011 year for any Antique OUtboard club meets, or certainly there are bigber ACBS, judged / enry fee show.

. Mid May we should have a good turn out for a wet meet in the Knoxville, Tenn area if you are game. . I have a 58 Crosby that is being refurbished away from original , However it was a sand box playground kids activity item , so, far from your sweet lady barn find. .Hardware is always being talked about between members, sometimes sold / sometimes traded. Yes, e-bay a source , but hard to judge condition thru pics. Re-chroming is very expensive now a days. Had some done in past. Part of the hobby to keep searching. Maybe you could add // post a picture of the deck area.? PLEASE.

Again CONGRATS & WELCOME.PS, YES, did have nice VETERANS day. Vietnam Army era here.

Re:replacement hardware 13 years 10 months ago #19773

Shipster/Brian,
That's the exact same hardware that's on my '60 Wagemaker Clipper! Of course I didn't have to find mine it was all there but some of it does need to be re-chromed or replaced. Tiny pits in some spots. If I see/find any I'll let you know since you need them before I do.

Bob

Re:replacement hardware 13 years 10 months ago #20072

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'd love to hear any thoughts you may have or any advice you can give me on this. I'm pretty pumped on doing the right thing for her. It will take me a while in that this will be my first Crosby renovation but I have the time. Thanks.

Re:replacement hardware 13 years 10 months ago #20073

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I think Knoxville is out of the question but thanks for the chapter info and yes I will get more ongoing pix of her. Thanks for your interest.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6521 guests and no members online