Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII

Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19733

I would like to install a Tach on my motor. I think I read somewhere that I can do this from the key switch on my selectricshift. Also would like to find a old tach to go with the boat.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19734

Is there a grey wire up there near the key switch ?

Re: Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19735

I'll have to check. Is that the one?

Re: Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19736

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
You might like to check this thread in the J.E.G.O.'s forum.

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/j-e-g-o-s-place/rpm-gauge-hook-up

Re: Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19756

Well now I found the installation instructions for alternator equipped models with electric shift in my papers I got with the boat. It has all the information for connecting the tach. And it is a gray wire. I wonder if I should copy this and post it? Should I do it here or is there a place to post it?

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19764

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Very nice looking Glaspar and Starflite, AO! The JEGO (Johnson, Evinrude, Gale, OMC) forum would probably be more appropriate for the install instructions. (Thanks for sharing them with everyone, BTW.)

Mark

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19767

Thanks Mark, The motor has 7 hrs. on it. I sent the info to the library forum.
Attachments:

Re: Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19768

I love how the dash layout is. Are you going to change the radio to a AM/FM CD player or AM/FM 8 track of that era?

Re: Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19769

Neither. That's going to stay. Just need a tach so i can get the right prop on her.

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19770

there is an airguide NOS in the box on ebay now.mdl 1024

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19771

Thanks I'll check it out. I looked it up. I like it. I made an offer. 65.00 as is seemed a little high. But I made an offer. Thanks for the heads up.

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19772

Yep, A tach is more useful than a sound system to get your boat and motor tuned in the right RPMs. I got to get one installed on my 55 Homelite powered pontoon. The stereo is already installed.

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19774

I get alot of comments on the radio so i'll have to bring something portable. Or find a good ol Am oldies station. But now I found a chart in my paper work that came with the boat. Might not even need a tach.
Attachments:

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19825

Thanks Pony boy, Got the tach for 35 bucks. That tacks care of that.

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19828

it will look good with all the rest of the shiney chrome, That is one great looking glasspar

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19837

Still may not mount it. I hate to change anything on it. Just like those rooster tails, I'd love to have them but hate to put holes in the boat. I'm going to take the original prop off and replace it with the 10 11 prop. It seems like it will do me better and besides I don't see the white ones anymore. They are all black.

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19845

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Still may not mount it. I hate to change anything on it.

You can always buy or make a bracket to mount the tachometer under the dash, so you don't have to drill/cut any holes. I understand and respect your desire to keep the old girl "original". The tach sure is handy to have, especially when testing for the right prop. Just a thought..... ;)

Mark

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19910

Your propeller selection for that engine is so limited that there isn't really a need to put a tach on it. I would run a 10X11 or 10X12. The 10X10 would work fine for pulling heavy skiers, tubes, etc.

If my memory is intact, 1966 engines did not have electronic ignition yet. That came out in 1967 on the 100 HP engines.
Yours most likely uses a conventional points & coil type ignition. On this type, you can use a cheapo automotive tachometer hooked up to the coil, battery, and ground. Set the tach switch for 8 cylinders and it will read correctly for a 4 cylinder 2 cycle. Set the tach on the top of dash & duct tape it in place. Remove when the experimenting is over.

Nice looking boat.

Bruce

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19914

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Did you restore that Glasspar or is that original ???

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 13 years 10 months ago #19922

Think thats what I am going to do. I bought a 10 X 12 I think that will do me just fine. It has a 10.25 X 10 on it. And yes it is all original. I have the reciept where he traded the 35 Lark in for the 80 Starflite in April of 66. The gel coat has cracks in it but it cleans up well. It does have points. I found a place online that is selling out a old OMC shop so I am buying up a bunch of spare parts for it. He is selling from a 1998 price book and knocking 15 percent off of that.

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 9 years 11 months ago #101324

I have a '66 Evinrude 80hp Starflite just like this one. I was on a boat with an Air Guide 690BB Tach. How should the tach be wired to work with this outboard? Thanks

Re:Tachometer for 1966 Evinrude 80 hp starflite VIII 9 years 11 months ago #101328

buddyearl,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle