Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help?!?

Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19447

Im a young kid that has been wanting a boat for a long time. Well I found this one in a barn and I honestly dont know where to start on getting this thing ready for the water. Also I really cant find much info on the boat. The title says its a 1961 Glass Magic. Please help.
Thank you.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19449

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome to FG Young Gun. If you'll click the Library link, it will take you to what info is available for Glass Magic:
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Glass_Magic
Hopefully, someone with some knowledge on you boat will chime in eventually here. (Sometimes these things take a few days, don't get disappointed.) There isn't much info on the 1961 models, but maybe something from the earlier years will look familiar.

Mark

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19451

Thanks MarkS the link was helpful.
-Chris

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19459

welcome young gun,i was just like you,i even tried to build a boat when i was very young,im glad you found one,do you have any pictures of it?that helps out alot.
there are alot of us here to help you go along with your new found project,john.opps sorry younggun,i didnt see the pics until now,im on dialup,thats a nice find,nice lines to it,the 1st thing you want to check is the transom(back of the boat)does it move ,if you pull up and down on the bottom of the motor,next tap it lightly with a hammer or your fist doe it sound like a thud,if it does it might be bad,or if you can see any of the wood try to push a screw driver into it,in a spot that cant be seen.
have you waked on the floor ?feel around for weak spots,hopefully with it being in a barn its all still good,good luck younggun,and most of all have fun,we are here when you need us,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19462

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Chris
Welcome to the community. There are alot of wonderful people here to help you with your project.
Keep postin' pics of your progress.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19464

Thanks John I will defenitly try that tomorrow, and thanks Neil. Here is another pic.
Attachments:

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19472

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Looks like a good starter boat. Give it a good cleaning, keeping eyes open for anything unusual that may need repair. Nice early 60's 40hp Evinrude Big Twin. Post the model and serial numbers on the little plate riveted to the clamp bracket and we can tell you the year. Use good quality 2 stroke oil at one quart to 6 gallons of gas (24:1 ratio). After sitting for who knows how long, definitely change the water pump impeller before you try running it. You can do this yourself, just get a shop manual and follow the instructions. Check for spark with a spark tester, plan on rebuilding the carb and fuel pump with kits (that manual helps again!) Any other issues can be solved with our help. Have fun, don't rush, you will be rewarded when that boat purrs across the water.

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19482

Thanks Kerry I will get that info tomorrow. I know I need a new ignition. I was told I can just pick a standard one up from the local auto zone is that true?

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19484

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
NAPA auto parts stores. Most have, or can order, some parts. Usually Sierra brand, an aftermarket supplier. A Johnson or Evinrude dealer will have genuine OMC parts, pricier, but some prefer them. I buy OMC impellers, Sierra parts kits myself. What "ignition" parts do you need? That motor should be a magneto ignition, with points, condensers, coils. Usually coil casings crack when they sit for years, but you won't know for sure until you pull the flywheel off and inspect.

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19489

If your talking The key ignition switch then you need a boat one that goes to ground.

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19492

The cowl looks to be a 1961 Evinrude Lark but a model number would tell for sure.

Here is a thread in the old forum which shows a nice '61 Glass Magic similar to yours, plus the 1961 Glass Magic sales brochure:
archives.fiberglassics.com/forum818/showmessage.asp?fm=Forum&messageID=12276

If you have an ignition switch but no key, an OMC dealer may be able to help you out if you bring the switch. Otherwise you can buy one at your OMC dealer or through Napa which stocks the Sierra product line of aftermarket parts. Be sure to ask at Napa for a copy of their marine parts catalog (the Sierra catalog)- it is a great reference to have at hand as you will most likely need tune-up parts.

Here's a link to the Sierra Marine Catalog (CLICK HERE)

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19493

Great boat! I've seen that one before here on the board. I take it you are somewhere in the Dallas area? A buddy of mine from Dallas posted pics of that boat a couple of years ago. Looks like a great boat to learn the ropes on. Welcome aboard!

Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19505

Morning Chris! Great find. Your motor must be cared for. There are some basics we can all help you through. It looks like a 61 or 62. Look at the front engine hatch and see if it has a Lark IV on it, if it does it's a 62. I run a pair of them on my Power Cat.

First thing you want to do is take the cover of the motor. Back the spark plugs out. Disconnect the throttle and shift cables from the motor. By hand, put the motor in neutral and spin the prop. It should free wheel. Then put the motor in fwd, and try to spin the prop. It should lock up. Go back to neutral and then do the same in reverse and it should lock too. Next try taking the flywheel (the big round toothed piece of metal on the top of the motor) and with the motor in fwd try turning the flywheel clockwise by hand. If it does not turn at all your motor is locked up. We can help you try to unlock if it is, but that's not a good sign if it is. If it does turn you should be good. If it turns, see if the prop rotates while you do that. If things are rotating, while the plugs are out, pour a couple teaspoons of SAE30 into each plug hole and then rotate the flywheel to lubricate the pistons.

If you think you need a switch because you have no key, that is easily remedied. Look closely at the switch and you will see it is labeled "KF" and a number. Take that series to any OMC dealer and they can order a replacement key for $5. I've done it MANY times when I find these old Evinrudes.

Next thing to do, and this is critical, is a compression test on the motor. You should have 90 pounds or higher in each cylinder and both cylinders should have about the same compression. If the compression test is good, you'll have a runner. The rest is just normal servicing. If the numbers are low or mismatched it means the motor has serious problems.

The next few items should be done BEFORE you try to start it.

- Pull the lower unit. When you're ready post a note here and we'll take you through how to do it. It's pretty easy. You need to service the lower unit by draining the (hopefully) oil in it, putting in a new impeller, check your fwd and rev gears and clutch dog, and while you've got it apart, reseal the lower unit so water can't infiltrate it. Impeller and seal kit should be maybe $45-50.

- Next remove the carberator and rebuilt it with an alcohol resistant kit.

- remove all the old fuel lines from the motor and replace them with modern alcohol resistant hose.

- next you need a tune up. You can get everything you need at NAPA which will include new coils, new points, new plug wires, new plugs and new condensors. Figure about $100 for the parts. To the do the tuneup you will need a flywheel puller and a torque wrench. You'll also need a gap set to set the points correctly. If you are mechanically inclined and are going to do this yourself and don't have these tools, let me know and I'll ship mine to you to use.

- It is worth it while you have everything apart taking your electric starter to a shop and have them check it and service it before reinstalling it.

If you do these basics and the power head is good, you'll have a motor that will run for many years.

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19510

crosbyboat wrote:

The next few items should be done BEFORE you try to start it.

- Pull the lower unit. When you're ready post a note here and we'll take you through how to do it. It's pretty easy. You need to service the lower unit by draining the (hopefully) oil in it, putting in a new impeller, check your fwd and rev gears and clutch dog, and while you've got it apart, reseal the lower unit so water can't infiltrate it. Impeller and seal kit should be maybe $45-50.

- Next remove the carberator and rebuilt it with an alcohol resistant kit.

- remove all the old fuel lines from the motor and replace them with modern alcohol resistant hose.

- next you need a tune up. You can get everything you need at NAPA which will include new coils, new points, new plug wires, new plugs and new condensors. Figure about $100 for the parts. To the do the tuneup you will need a flywheel puller and a torque wrench. You'll also need a gap set to set the points correctly. If you are mechanically inclined and are going to do this yourself and don't have these tools, let me know and I'll ship mine to you to use.

- It is worth it while you have everything apart taking your electric starter to a shop and have them check it and service it before reinstalling it.

If you do these basics and the power head is good, you'll have a motor that will run for many years.

You have learned much, Padawan. ;)

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19517

yeah brian,offering to loan the younggun your tools ,means a karma point in my book,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19531

Wow thanks Brian thats very generous but I think I have a few friends that might be able to help. Crosby Thanks for the info, it was extremely helpful. Actually Doug I am about four hours north of Dallas, and thanks for the warm welcome. You all have been very helpful.

Re:Help?!? 13 years 10 months ago #19540

Hi Young Gun. I`m Frogman and no I have not died ya`ll, just really covered up honey doos. The Glass Majic factory was on a street that tees off of Beach Street headed east in Ft Worth South of IH 30 just past the RR tracks. There is a freight forwarding outfit in there now but the folks there know it used to be a boat factory. Sadly there is nothing left of the boat factory, not even a sign or poster. I`m in the phone book so if you need anything on your motor give me a call as I have the Sierra Parts catalogue from 2002.

John Brogdon

And no the Pictures are still in Jimmy Hoffas pocket.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7845 guests and no members online