• Page:

TOPIC: building &upholstering the interior of the cutter

building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19232

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
i finaly got started on the interior today,i have one side panel almost done,i tried to put the cutter emblem in it(arrow head),im doing it over the winter before i sand it down that way it doesnt get dirty,the 1st pic is it almost finished with the seat im trying to match,the rest are how i did it,1st with a cardbord templet,and a whole lot of measurements,lol.next was the plywood.
its going to take awhile to downlaod the pics,im on dial up,ill let you know when im done,john,by the way the boat is going to be painted a lighter blue metalic and silver metalic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19234

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That arrow looks great, John!

I'm doing the interior & Upholstry on my Glasspar when I get home... I just bought a heavy duty industrial sewing machine to do it with. I've worked with sunbrella and canvas in the past, but this will be the first time with vinyl, it should be interesting!

-Andrew

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19241

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok im done posting pics tonight,and thanks andrew,i wish i had asewing machine,i do have an old treadle machine that was my grand mothers,but i need to fix the leather belt.
so far in both boats theres not a stich in them all done with glue and staples.
im sure you will make a great interior,ive seen your work.
i read some on upholstering vinyl,and they say to use a long stitch or it will just cut the vinyl,also vinyl stretches more along the leangth then across.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19256

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That looks great. Its the little details that make such a big difference.

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19260

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks jim,but dont look too close,lol.i still have some work to do on it.
i was hoping the other side would be a mirror image,but its not ,i have more figureing to do lol.
i think i may work on this old treadle sewing machine today,all it needs is a leather (round) belt,i might be able to put the broken one back together,i hope,because it would be nice to sew some of it.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19261

John possibly a fan belt may work on that Singer

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19264

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
madprops,im not sure it will,but wow this is the 1st time i opened up the old machine since my grandmother died about 20 years ago,boy it is cool,it has an egyption design on it with spinxs(need spell check,lol)on it.
but i dont have a clue how to operate it,lol.ill have to look up a website for it,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19265

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Nothing works Like a Treddle! if the belt is in good enough shape theres some good stretch in them. The Vinyl will just get cut if your stich isnt long enough, I did my Seats for my VW bus and My Wagemaker on a Treddle with Vinyl and they came out decent for an unskilled sticher... The regulat electric machine would not stich threw multiple layers.

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19267

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice Singer! I have the same machine! without the cabinet its a cool patern mines from 1912. I would cut that belt down a little and carefully drill a hole in it to reuse the staple. then maby a dab of glue to help hold due to its age, A little Neatsfoot oil may help keep it suple... Make sure you oil that machine well and it will work great! there are oil holes across the top the cast table I think as some and under the two swinging doors, foot travel is controlled by the knob under the bobin winder. I think there are some linkages to oil under it also may be holes in the base to feed those... thats my ramble..

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19268

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks stashm2,it looks like in the bottom pic that there are two places on the wheel to put the belt,im guessing that the larger one is for a longer slower stitch?
ill have to have my father in law look at it they have an old treadle machine too.

---Mark Twain

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19269

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have a Saddle machine that is a two speed like that, and yeah that will change the stich speed, I use a Cleveland for my main machine and I just pump faster lol. that knob will increase the foot travel so you dont cut the vinyl. and you may need ot turn the knob over the foot to lower the foot tension. Make sure to oil those also. Do you have all the Bobin parts?

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19270

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
never mind i took a closer look and the larger pully is to spin the small wheel on it,i just dont know what goes in the small wheel,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19271

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The small wheel is to wind the Bobbin with thread you put the thin spindle in between the spring loaded pin and the bracket with the wheel and it goes back and forth to fill the spindle with threat dont go over the flange or it will bind in the bobbin mount... tension is importand on the bobbin winding if you have too much the arm that distributes the thread on the bobbin will be pulled away from the cam and not properly wind your bobbin... there should be diagrams on how to thread and operate that machine I have a manual for the cleveland thats almost identical to that if you need a coppy I can scan you one but am on Dialup at home also.

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19272

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
sorry everybody about the sewing lessons but i need to know how to operate this old machine.
stahm2,here are all the old parts i found in the drawers,and in the 2nd pic what is missing?(where there are threads on a small shaft and a screw with the knob? boy i would really,really apreciate it if you would download instructions,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19273

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
it looks like you may be missing the bobbin... that sleek crome bullet looking thing is the bobin carrier and goes under the crome slide plate by the needle. there should be a brass thimble to go in it. I will scan it when I get home wont be till 6 PM or so Eastern the top pic is the bobin winder. the threads are what drive the cam for distributing the thread to the bobbin they are all driven off the little wheel. I will look for diagrams while I am here at work with Magical highspeed internet. Sorry to Hijack the thread. the Pannels look great also!

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19274

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok i just answered my own question,it holds the bobbin just like stashm2 said,i found the bobbin still in the macine.john

---Mark Twain

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19275

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
heck stashm2,im just glad someone knows this machine,my grandpa used it alot,for just about everything,he was slick on it,and thanks for looking for me,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19276

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John
your welcome! I just love those old machines there so.. Neat just the parts and how efficient they are, I find mine alot more usefull than the electric one and you get a work out!
I will see what I can find I know how it is trying to surf on Dial up...
Some INFO needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.php/Singer_48K

and not your machine but should help you figure out threading of it... not bobbin but a start, uses the more modern bobbin. has a Manual though!

needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.php/Singer_115

Hope that helps,
Jesse

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19282

John,
The panels look GREAT. That Singer will be of great help. My grnadfather had one too. Dad kept it but I didn't take it with me when I got the boat and woodworking stuff. I shoud have though. It was in a cbainet desk wull of drawers. My grandfather used it too sew some the canvas on the boat if I rememer right. I know my dad used it a few times too for canvas. I think to repair some of the tents for my bos scout troop. Those things will sew just about anything! LOL

Bob

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19306

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks bob,just dont lookclose,lol,i have more work to do on it,then the other side.
yeah this machine is incredible,its amazing the way it works,real injunuity,im learning how it works as i look it over,so far i think its an 1917 singer ,with the egyptian painting,very cool with sphinxs on it.
im going to figure it out yet,but i found out my leather(round)belt is rotted,i need to find another one.

---Mark Twain

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19307

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
if this works this should be my Clevland manual. if not I will resize and post latter.

Ok Not great or even... Good quality but I think you can get the just of it from those scans... I was trying to keep the size down. and the original is in bad shape... Hope it helps
Jesse
Attachments:

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19312

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19313

most sewing machine shops still sell that belt as I still have my 1911 singer here

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19314

be careful doing vinyl on that machine as I knocked my machine out of time due to the thick material Now I have a consew industrial model 118 walking foot machine.

Re:building &upholstering the interior of the cutter 13 years 10 months ago #19316

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
boy,thanks guys that all helps me out,i appreciate it.

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7592 guests and no members online