• Page:

TOPIC: Sell Or Run ???

Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19161

• bobo
  • bobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I bought this boat in 1992 . Its a 1961 Carlson Challenger .At one time she had a 150 Mercury with tilt and trim and a jack Plate and a 23 pitch prop ....Not sure how fast it went (( Before we had GPS )) but it would Peg the 60 MPH Speedo on it and left many a Jet ski sitting ..After 2 almost blow overs I put a 135 V4 on it and she went into water ski Duty ..My boys and I skied behind this boat a Million Hours ..I met my Now Ex and she was scared in this boat .So I sold the v4 and put the Challenger under wraps .Its sat for 8 years untill today . I pulled it out and cleaned her up .The steering is now froze and some of the paint is getting bad . We had replaced the transom but never really finished the cosmetic part of it . I have the seats for it and a jack plate .To put her back together Ild need New steering . Was thinking a 115 Tower of Power (( It just looks Bad on these boats ...L.O.L..)) Tilt and Trim and Im sure Bunchs of other Odds And ends ...
Right now Im Restoring a 56 Delmar and a 56 Chevy step side and moneys tight .I also have a 59 Aristocraft , a 75 Glastron CV16 , a 17 foot Deck boat and the Delmar of course .These boats are all sea worthy ..So should I sell the Challenger or just put it back under wraps till Im rich again ?? Or sell one of the other boats ?? I just hate to see it sitting and Im running out of room ..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19164

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Sounds like you already have plans for it, so my vote is KEEP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19166

I would rank the Carlson right behind the Glastron, and ahead of the other stuff. I love those Carlsons! I had my eye on a Contender, but can't scare up the cash.

Frank

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19167

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Right now it would be hard for me to swing the money for a Big Merc .. Unless somebody knows where I can get a deal on one ..In the Fun Factor area ...CV16 VS Carlson ?? In a Straight line Carlson Turning CV16 ..The Challengers and Contenders in the Go Fast Area you had to drive them every second or they could get away on you . They didnt turn that well neither IMHO ..Disater could be just another slight tap of the trim button ...L.O.L..twice I was looking at the water then a second later Looking at the sun ..Thats why I pulled the 150 off of it and went to a Evinrude 135 without tilt and trim and a 19p prop ...Sure would pull skiers up and would be on plane in a heart beat just had to watch the tach ...In the attention getting department ..Ild go with the Challenger ..People Love the CV16 but more would come up and look at the Challenger ..Probaully because you dont see them much ..Im Pretty sure this is the only one withen 60 to a 100 miles from me .. PC1000 .. Was the Contender a rarer boat ?? I never have seen one around here or see any on Craigs ..I have seen a few Challengers on Craigs nation wide .

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19168

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The only thing worse than "buyers remorse" is "sellers remorse", IMO. Buyers remorse can be cured, just sell it. Sellers remorse is usually final, no un-doing it! Kerry's right, it sounds like you might have a mind to keep it, and it's not costing you anything, right? Take your time to make a decision, make sure you want to say goodbye before you do anything. Who knows, you may come up on a sweet deal or trade for a nice stack six that would fit the bill some day. Those Challengers and Contenders are getting pretty hard to come by, I imagine she'll go pretty fast when advertised for sale. Just my two cents bobo.

Mark

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19169

Bobo,
I agree with Mark. If she isn't costing you anything, I'd keep her. That next motor is out there it just hasn't turned up yet, it will. You definitely don't want sellers remorse that's sure. Just my opinion.

Bob

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19173

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
B: Interesting story. You have my vote of the day for a interesting collection . Both the Glasspar & Glastron have member groups. Would ask what kind of boating you do in your local area. ?? If taking the neighborhood on the deck boat & buying them beer all afternoon , I would vote to sell that 1st. . If you do overnight sleeping camping the Del - Mar & maybe Aristor craft ,(if hardtop), probably gets the most seat time .

. The Contender is the 14 foot version, so really can not handle the power or speed of your 16 ft. My son had a Purple CV - 16 , so if your close friends make up four people, I guess that gets the most seat time.? Two years ago a 1987 115 hp Merc ws offered to me at a CYCLE shop for $150, which I took. It did eventually go to my friends Stevens, but had that time to decide what classics I wanted to restore. . My vote is NOT to sell for another year. I had a frozen / stuck steering cable that was made usable again by unbolting & hang vertical to drip / soak light oil (Penetrating), Marvel over a few days & try to rotate with vise grips, etc, they unstick , or slight heat. Even a upgrade to hydraulic lines is a safety / performance upgrade. Maybe there are vintage / race shows in your area to justify the Carlson.
...You did not mention any prior owners, IF there was indead any race HISTORY ,? like river marathons, etc. Any success racing means keeping this boat to last . Can always offer to sell or trade to test the market in your area, But that hull can be shipped anywhere. . Lasty here is Mt Dora , March Shows, not my boat, but dont try to B.S. us that you are getting OLD .!!! Enjoy

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19175

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Split . Seat time ? Well the Deck boat somebody gave me about a month ago ..Actually Real nice shape for a freebee . Floor nice as well as seats and drive train .The tilt motor for the I/O was bad . Took it for a ride and it should pull a skier or 2 ..The Aristocraft I had out maybe 10 times this summer .Yes shes a hard top ..Thats kinda nice when your missing some hair and dont want a Sun Burned head .L.O.L...It can carry alot and tows skiers and tubes well ..The Delmar I just got and she isnt see worthy yet .Ive got a 56 Chevy step Side truck Im building into a restorod ..Thought it would be cool to tow a 56 Delmar with a 56 Chevy ..L.O.L.. Those Delmars are just to cute and my Grand Kids can ride in the Cuddy ..The CV16 I guess I run the most . Great Ski Boat , Gets alot of attention ,handles nice and will Jump right up there ..The Carlson I guess seeing my boys grew up with it and spent so many hours in it as well as most of the neighbor hood kids has some sentimental value ..I got some back yard left but its getting to look like a marina ...L.O.L..Now somebody calls me tonight ..He had a Glasspar G3 that I looked at just because ...He called me tonight and said if it doesnt sell by Friday I can come and take it . Its got a 50 hp Merc on it ...Doesnt look half bad ..Oh Where does the Madness Stop ...L.O.L..

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19181

geez bobo if getting a free 50 hp merk is madness,then i want to go mad,50 hp is about what i want on my jet de ville,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19196

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
L.O.L... John Maybe its not madness but you get so many boats around and it gets way to much ..Then you start thinking about getting rid of a few or part them out and you cant decide ..Your like Oh this ones cool ,, This one Im gonna restore ,, This ones a Classic ..this one I had forever . Obviously Money and life keep us from restoring to many ..You hate to take them to the dump . Ive put a couple on Craigslist for free in the past ..Nobody wanted them ..So then you take them to the Dump and the Guy with the BIG PAYLOADER Comes and crushs them ..That always hurt my heart ..Before I met my ex I had around 10 to 12 boats at times ..Hell I never had to mow the Grass ...L.O.L..

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19213

Bobo,
That's one heck of a collection you've got going. Where are you located? I haven't come across anything good like that here so far. I guess that's saved me from having the wife go ballistic! LOL Of course I don't think she could complain too much if I came across a free one. LOL

Bob

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19221

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Water Wings .. Im in Northern Wisonsin about an hour away from UP Michigan .The Carlson was behind a guys garage . Everytime I stopped to talk to him about it he was either gone or his son said he was sleeping .I tried off and on for over a year to catch up to him ..One day I was bored and drove past his place ..Here was a big UHaul out front ..And Wow he was there ..He told me a $100 but it had to be gone NOW ...I made sure it was ..The CV16 a Guy bought for the motor to put on a Poontoon ..i got it and the Trailer for a steal .Once in awhile Ill put a add on Craigs list for wanted ..A Guy called me up and said he had a Old one with a top ..Come get it fast and its free ..That was the Aristocraft ..It was a Complete boat and motor No trailer ..He said the Fat 50 had a Blown Lower unit ..It was just the Shear Pin ..Its hard to keep gas in those old V4s so I put a 80HP Mercury on it .A Guy gave me $250 for the Old V4 So I made money ...L.O.L..The Delmar Neil from this Forum found out I was looking for one . He was going to Wyoming from Idaho and said If I wanted to meet him there he would bring it and sell it to me .That was pretty nice of him ..So I made the 1900 mile round trip to get her ..Always wanted to see that area anyway ..So Hey keep your head on a swivel when driving and looking and Maybe a add on Craigs List and you never know what pops up ..

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19222

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
bobo, if you decide to sell the carlson give me a shout, i am in mn. 85 miles east of duluth, so we are not to far apart. my brother has a hydostream panther with a 150 hp merc , and i want a boat that will kick his a**. thanks greg (frog) This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19223

Thanks. I will. I've already noticed I look in every yard I drive by here, lots of farms down here, so I keep looking. I really want to do a woody at some point. Grew up in Michigan on Lake St. Claire and Higgins and Houghton lake. Lots of old Chris Crafts and Centry's. Probably can't afford one of those but I keep looking for wood ones like them.

Bob

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19247

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Frog ..Where the heck did your brother get a Panther ? Thats a real rare boat the way I understand it ..If he has a 150 on it She should go pretty darn good . If he has it set up right Im not so sure Ild want to run that Challenger any faster ..In a Small light boat pushing 70 MPH things can turn real Crappy Real Fast ...Next thing you know you might have Saint Peter Helping you put her back on the trailer at the Pearly Gates Boat Landing ...L.O.L..Like I said before I almost had the Challenger Blow Over on me twice ..Another time it started to Chine Walk REAL BAD ..Almost threw me out of it ..So I came to the choice of either detuning it or getting life insurance and keeping a roll of Charmin in my tool box ...L.O.L...If your 85 miles east of Duluth your Near Hurly Right ?? I did see a add in Northern WI Craigslist for a Hydrostream Valero for I think $500 ..

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19305

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
hey bobo, i put in the wrong direction, i am west of duluth, in mn. my brother got his hydrostream in fargo and it was set up with center steering and 1 seat, he then made it into a 2 seater. he is in the hydrostream club and i believe he has pictures on their web site,it is a real barn burner and corners like a train on tracks. i am interested in yours so keep me in mind if you do put it on the market. thanks frog

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19317

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Larry
I see in one of your pictures that there is a Del Mar sitting in front of a garage. Looks good even from Idaho. :laugh:
Hang onto the Carlson, put a 6 Stack back on it and run the guts out of it. Rebuild it and do it again. The water is one of the last places where it is left up to ourselves to police the speed limit. (Most bodies of water in Idaho anyway) Go out and let the big dog eat, enjoy while you can.
I still have access to the 115 Merc on the Tri hull out here and I also found a 150. I am waiting on an answer on the 150. Maybe we can get together and get a Tower put back on it. If we can get a Del Mar from Idaho to Wisconsin, a big Merc should be no problem either.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19327

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Neil .. Good to here from you . I did a little on the Delmar then I had to start thinking about fire wood . Shes going into the next stall . If you look right behind the Delmar youll see a Media Blasted 56 Chevy Truck ..Its the Delmar Tow Truck ...L.O.L... I figure this winter I can do the body work on the truck and when I get bored jump into the next stall and do some fiberglassing or wood work ..It should keep me out of trouble ..So Ya got a line on a 150 ehhh..That would be the ticket ..After our Last Adventure that should be easy ...You told me ya fly to Point to see family ..Think you could Disguise it as Carry on Luggage ??? Maybe a Flat Rate USPS box ...$10.95 anywhere in the country ..L.O.L...Ya never know .. What can you get it for ?? Is she a Blue Band or red ..?? Ya know I still have some Javelen Props with your name on them ..You should Email me your Address so I can ship them out ..Unless we meet for a Tower Of Power .. Wow could be Tower Of Power at Devils Tower ...L.O.L....The other Day my Sons were over with a couple of thier friends ..They all grew up with the Challenger around ..They saw that I had acually gotten it out and cleaned her up ..They were like Cool your Gonna get her going ...I said Im thinking about Selling it ..By there faces you would have thought I just Shot Old Yeller ...L.O.L..We all started talking about Tubeing and Skiing behind her And Like remember This time and That Time ..I guess its a permanent part of the Family Now ..That and some of the points you guys made ..So I guess the Deck Boat will have to go ..Ya Know its atleast twice the size of That Glasspar G3 I might be offered ..So if I get rid of the deck boat and get it Ild only be getting a 1/2 of a boat right ??

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19328

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Larry
The 115 is a blue band and the 150 I'm not sure about, yet.
It belonged to an old gentleman that passed away and the three kids got it. The boat it is on is shot. I got ahold of the man, there are two sisters also, and he wants to get rid of the whole works but the sisters say "sentimental value". That is a tough nut to crack.
Tower of Power at Devils Tower. That is a good one. I could name the Hydocraft the Devils Tower of Power when I finally hang a big Merc on it. :)
Mary's mother is building a new home in Point and she wants to come and help her move. Looks like spring. I may fly back with her and we could get together.
I picked up a couple more boats since our Wyoming trip.
A 65 IMP Apache and a 56 Crestliner. Just want to turn them and get someone else out on the water. Maybe make a little to put into the Hydrocraft.
She is dry docked in the shop. I have the floor just about all out now. After I glass in a new floor, I will flip it over and start on the bottom. Then back over and finish the interior.
By then I should have a Tower to bolt on. That is the plan anyway.
I don't know if you know, but, I am also working on a Sea Ray.
1974 17 foot I/O. 235 horse small block Ford. I am moving the cockpit back 6 feet. Mini offshore with a long nose. I picked it up in Salem Ore. last year. I am thinking bright, bright yellow.
Everything yellow except the outdrive. Kooky right?
Neil
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19393

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Larry
I went by and looked at the 150 today. She is a red stripe.
I actually caught the woman home that owns it.(her and her brother and sister)
We were talking about the cost of getting the boat back on the water for them to use and the amount of use they would actually get.
In my eyes, I dont think it will ever float again with them in it.
But, you never know.
It just may sit and completely rot into the ground. What a shame.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19399

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Neil, are you sure about that 150? According to my Merc catalogs, 1973 was the first year for 150hp, with a BLUE band. Unless its a 1976-77 1500XS.......

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19408

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Kerry
The first three #s are 412. That would make it a 74, right?
The motor cowl is pretty faded, but along the bottom of the Mercury logo on the cowl center I can see a hint of red. But that wouldn't be right, correct?
What years are blue and which red?
Odd, when I was reading your post the womans husband called.
He wanted me to make him and offer on the boat/motor/trailer.
I asked what kind of price range he was thinking and he said $2000.
I hope he can get it running!
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19437

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Wow $2000 for a junk boat with a Maybe good Merc on it ..?? That seems more than fair ...L.O.L..I like the price of that G3 in your other post better ...

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19456

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I was thinking of a counter offer, I have a 12guage shotgun with a broken trigger, broken stock and a bent barrel, I'm pretty sure I could get $937.00 for it. :)
Maybe they will take it and a half a case of Spam and they can keep the stern light!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry about taking your thread way off topic Larry.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Sell Or Run ??? 13 years 10 months ago #19474

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Neil wrote:

Kerry
The first three #s are 412. That would make it a 74, right?
The motor cowl is pretty faded, but along the bottom of the Mercury logo on the cowl center I can see a hint of red. But that wouldn't be right, correct?
What years are blue and which red?
Odd, when I was reading your post the womans husband called.
He wanted me to make him and offer on the boat/motor/trailer.
I asked what kind of price range he was thinking and he said $2000.
I hope he can get it running!
Neil

1974-76. The cowl stripes were different, so a pic would help. Blue band. store.eastcoastmarineservice.com/category_s/826.htm

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7833 guests and no members online