Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel

restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18721

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
ok the pics are going to take me a long time to download,im on dial up.
i got these air horns for $10.50 and the steering wheel for 99 cents on ebay,it was black to begin with.
the air horns looked terrible when they came in today,but alot of chrome cleaner and rubbing compund,with a foam wheel on my drill,they came out ok,next i sand blasted the body of the air horns and the enitire steering wheel.
after that i used dupli-color metal ground coat,then the blue metal top coat,(close to the color im going to paint it along with silver)
i dont know how well the paint will last ,its the 1st time i have used it ,but they look good right now,lol,in about 3 hours i will put the horns back together ,and post those pics.but for now heres about ten pics ,when im done posting pics ill post it to let you know im done..john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18723

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok,thats all the pics until i post the finished horns.
im going to make the center for the steering wheel out of wood and the silver vinyl i got,i think lol.
im going to paint the 1959 cutter jet deville close to the color of these.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18724

the chrome cleaned up very nice john. like the steering wheel color. do you know what the wheel came off of? ron

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18730

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks ron,heres the finished pics of the horns,i have no idea what kind of boat the steering wheel came off of but it will fit my jet de ville,but this is a back up,im hoping to do the same to the vollrath wheel,its just i couldnt pass it up for 99 cents,lol.johnp.s.im going to paint the inside of the horns too,the blue looks more like metal in real life.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18732

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice... I've scored some deals on E-Bay, too- It's amazing what a little work will do. I'm thinking about 'investing' in a plating setup from Caswell so I can replate some of the nastier ones that I've got.

I've been looking into a way of making logos that would work for steering wheel emblems/etc. They are plastic, and epoxy encapsulated. Perhaps I'll have to try to make a 'cutter' logo for that wheel!

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18733

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
andrew,that sounds good to me,loljohn

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18734

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm thinking something like this- A quick 'sketch' I did in Photoshop... I 'borrowed' the cutter logo from the brochure.

Is this the boat that has the logos on the seat that you need to cover? This might make a good cover for that, too... The wife is getting loads of practice in on the embroidery machine.
Attachments:

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18738

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
andrew yes ,thats the logo,and yes thats the boat,that would be great in silver backgraound and blue C.,when shes ready ill send the size i need to cover the old logo,ill just have to find a good glue to attach it to vinyl.john

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18740

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sounds good, John... We should be able to change the color to just about anything, once she figures the software out better. She's only had it a few days. It's fairly complex (It BETTER be- The software package was over $2k!) She's got something like 216 colors to work with.

I've got her 'testing' a Lake N Sea logo tonight.

I'll have to 'refine' that logo a bit more, As I mentioned it was a real quickie so it's a little rough. But, with some photoshop magic, We'll make it happen!

-Andrew

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18741

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
andrew ,let me know how much she needs for them,its costing you guys money,and it sounds like lots of it,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18743

John,
Those look awesome, great job there. I especially like the blue on the horns and the steering wheel. I think that's a great color for the boat by the way. I can't wait to see how it progresses.

Bob

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18745

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks bob,the boat will be close to that color blue,and silver mettalic,the interior will be a darker blue with silver like this seat.john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18746

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
andrew the logo im most concerned with is the logo on the back of the seat,its painted on and pretty big,ill get pics in the morning,the one you see in the above pic im not too worried about.

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 11 months ago #18748

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
" FLEETWING" steering wheel . I have my spare in the garage. Name on the lift out center rectangle. Guess mine was from a smaller center console, aftermarket, my son got at his shop. Can let Andrew borrow to FAB inserts.? . Early remodel pic below. 16' Wide skiff.

.. Great metal polish (Cream), I got last year .Some can be expensive, but one day at thrist store lady talked me into trying quart size ,maybe $1 a bottle .A Steal "UNISOURCE" www.unisourcelink.com Norcross , Georgia , used in the Food Service industry. . Nice Horns John.

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19042

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i had to paint the inside of the trumpets on the $10.50airhorns,and i also painted the new 15 dollar spotlight,i also got a cleat ,im still looking for the right bowlight,for the cutter jet de ville,with the hardware(horns spotlight etc.)i sand blasted them then used clear primer,then metal ground coat ,then metal blue topcoat,here are the before and after pics.john

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19044

The horns and wheel look great but never did say if the horns work?
I have a nice set of horns but someone took them apart and when they put them back togather they used silacone on one and got it all over one diphram and that side don't work any more. The diphram is made out of some kind of clear plasitc.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19045

I got a bow cleat like that one. It came off an old Sea Maid runabout.

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19046

Mike,
Not positive but it might be Mylar.

John,
The horns came out GREAT! Good idea to paint the inside to match the back ends. Matching spotlight is awesome.

Bob

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19049

That bow cleat looks pretty close to the one on my boat.

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19050

horns look great john. ron

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19060

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks guys,yeah they work,and i have another set on the way im going to restore and then sell on ebay i need more money to put into the boat,the diaphram on these are thin copper plates.the horns on the sunray are some kind of plastic (mylar?)too.
the cleat was sent to me from matthew bennett from austraila,he wont even take the shipping money,so ill pay it forward someday,thanks matthew,i also got a stern light from ralph herda ,thats pretty close to the vollrath stuff im looking for,the cleat and stern light arent vollrath ,but they are close enough,thanks matt and ralph.
i still need 2 more cleats for the back.
its a shame but the pics of the paint dont show it good enough ,but the blue looks like blue chrome with metal flake,its really cool paint.
the spotlight also works.
oh and i didnt mention the fct that these horns are huge ,20 and 16 inch horns,lol.
the horns im getting i think i can make one complete set with the horns that ae already on the jet de ville and the ones on the way,they make this metal paint in blue,red and gold,i think ill paint the set ill sell red,john

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19061

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
pathfinderz1 wrote:

The horns and wheel look great but never did say if the horns work?
I have a nice set of horns but someone took them apart and when they put them back togather they used silacone on one and got it all over one diphram and that side don't work any more. The diphram is made out of some kind of clear plasitc.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

mike have you ever thought of using a milk jug ,to cut out a new diaphram,from the flat part of the jug?i dont know if it will work or not ,but its worth a try,john

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19064

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
John wrote:

and i have another set on the way im going to restore and then sell on ebay

You'd better give us a shot at them before they go up on ebay! LOL Do them like yours, only in metallic gold and you already have a buyer buddy. ;)

Mark

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19065

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok mark but ill sell them to you at cost and shipping,nothing for labor,lets see.... i paid 350 bucks for the boat that the horn part is on,,plus..lol,just kidding mark,it looks like gold is the color they are going to be.
heck i would give them to you,but i just ordered fuel oil ,150 gallon at 408 bucks.
ill have 16 bucks in these next horns plus 6 bucks in paint and shipping,somewhere around 30 bucks shipping incuded. if thats ok,like i said my labor is free to you guys.i feel bad charging anything at all,but my bank account is down to 43 bucks and im bidding on 2 guages ,lol

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19067

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
by the way mark do you have the brass fitting that comes out of the bottom of the air horns that the tube connects to?im not sure the horns i have coming do have it.
and with my horns im going to buy air horns at harbor freight for 20 bucks and use the compressor from them.

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19069

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i just id a little reasearch on this paint,it is an anodized enamel metal paint,which can handle high heat as well,here are the colors you can get..red,blue,yellow(looks like a light gold to me)green ,purple,orange and smoke,plus the primer and sometimes ground coat.
i need to make a few bucks for my restoration of my cutter jet deville,so if anyone wants their horns done i would charge 35 bucks for labor,plus materials and shipping,even if you have other parts that you want done let me know,john,or if you want to do them yourself i will take you through it step by step for free.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19070

• MarkS
I insist on paying you for the horns (not the boat LOL)John, and I'm glad to do it. Around $30 or so sounds more than fair! Just let me know by email (you have it) when they're ready, NO RUSH, and how much. I'll put a check in the mail. The stuff you did looks beautiful, in case I neglected to mention that.

Don't worry about the fitting, I can get whatever is needed to hook them up.

A fellow on CGOAMN has these fittings available, anything of interest to you?
Attachments:

Mark

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19073

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks mark,like i said my labor is free to you,you sent me that stern light,and im paying it forward.
yeah im interested in that big cleat on the bottom right,how much fot it mark?now that i looked them over im interested in the bunch the big cleat and chocks for my boat and the tiedowns and cleats for eds sunray,john

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19074

john, i filled my 550 gallon tank in jersey last week. i called around and got it for $2.69 a gallon. in pennsy where i burn kerosene (because it won't congeal like fuel oil) it was $2.89.
if you need some money to keep you moving along on the cutter, just let me know. i wouldn't need it back till next spring. if i was stil working i wouldn't need it back at all. your one of those "one in a million" guys john, not only because of what you've done for me but continue to do for others. frank is another one of those rare indiniduals that you don't come across too much in a lifetime. well i'm off now to buy one of those penlight voltage testers to see if my coils are getting the proper voltage. if i can't find the problem i'll be taking the boat down to jim sgrig's next week for repair. if you were within an hour or so away i would drop in.... ron

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19076

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
awww thanks ron,i really appreciate the offer,but we will get by,and ill get the jet deville done its just going to take longer,lol,besides with my health its takes a long time anyhow,lol.
im getting fuel oil and its $2.72 a gallon,im glad the house is well insulated,lol.
i only have one 275 gallon tank,and 150 gallon is the least you can order,and i have about 70 gallons already in it from last year.
and thanks for the compiment buddy the same goes for you.
and i wish you were closer,i could help you out,john

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19081

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
im hoping these pics show the true color and metal flake affect better,i finaly had some sunshine to put them in,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19091

• MarkS

yeah im interested in that big cleat on the bottom right,how much fot it mark?now that i looked them over im interested in the bunch the big cleat and chocks for my boat and the tiedowns and cleats for eds sunray,john

I'll ask, they belong to one of the good folks on the Minnesota Glastron forum. Is it okay if I give him your email address?

Mark

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19096

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
sure mark,thats ok with me.
here is a pic of the set of horns i have coming,they dont have the chrome caps like mine do,and i thought i could use the ones from the jet deville but they are to far gone,so on this set the body,inside the trumpets AND the caps will have to be painted,is that ok with you,if not its ok.john p.s. if you want ill paint them when they get here and then post pics,then you can decide if you still want them.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19103

• MarkS
Painted caps will be fine John, no problem with that.

Mark

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19107

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Those are some cool looking horns, John- That Cutter is going to be one sharp ride when she's done!

-Andrew

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19126

• MarkS
Tonka Jim wrote:

Mark,

Your buddy John can have anything he needs.

I do not want any money for the parts as long aa they go on a personal boat & not resold..................
A small donation the the 'Bergstrom Baby Fund' is always welcome.

Jim

Looks like the cleat (and anything else you need in the picture) is yours John! I'll ask him to shoot you an email so you two can work out the details on shipping, etc..

Mark

Re:restoring $10.50 air horns and $.99 steering wheel 13 years 10 months ago #19132

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks mark,ill send him something towards the baby fund,+ shipping if he can hold the stuff until next month ,its a little tight right now.
besides money ,is the baby a girl?,if so my cousin had a newborn about 6 months ago,she grew so fast and didnt even get to wear alot of her clothes,probably still have tags on them,i can send themalong with the money if he wants the cloths,john

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.332 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7678 guests and no members online