• Page:

TOPIC: Volksboat....

Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18587

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I didn't really NEED another boat. But, I've always LOVED Volksboats... And, they're so small, it won't really count as a WHOLE boat, just 1/2!

She'll need a little work. I was shopping for a trailer and found this, too!

Looks like I'll need to find/fabricate a bit of hardware, and a windshield. But, I've already got a motor for it, and a trailer.

It's in St. Clair, MI. I'll have to figure out a time I can get to it, I've been 'stuck' on my ship for a month now, with no relief in sight. If anyone's coming down I-75 in the near (or distant) future, let me know- I'll pay!

Now- How DO I tell the wife? Hmm...

-Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18588

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Congrats Andrew, nice find! (I have no advise on telling Mrs. Andgott, I have NO successful experience in that matter. LOL)

Mark

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18589

I've been watching that for the last couple of weeks. I couldn't believe it didn't sell the first time. I had $500 in the bid box for the last 3 min. of the action and never hit enter. I have three boats now and like you didn't need another. Honestly I haven't seen the O'lady so mad as she was when I was watching that action end. She REALLY don't think we need another, no matter how cute or rare. I have a baby due in 3 weeks and I believe you just saved me from a divorce!

Good luck with it and if you can't pick it up let me know I'm only 219 miles away and I could hide it from her till summer. I'm just saying I would be interested if it don't work out for ya.

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18590

Congratulations on your Volksboat.
I recently finished the restroation of a 59 Volksboat. I had a run of windshields made. ( Sorry all of them sold.) I know that Wefco has the die for the rub rail.
Did you get any of the trim with yours. Like the front handle, nose piece, rail supports,or bowlight?
Attachments:

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18591

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I just remind my wife that my hobbies keep me out of bars, away from other women, and actually pay off in time with results we both can enjoy. Works out great.

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18596

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I've always liked them, though I've never seen one in person...

Herters- I don't think that there is any trim, other than what's in the photos... Luckily, I'm able to make just about anything I'll need out of aluminum. Might not be 100% accurate, but it'll be close enough. BTW, yours was one of the boats that influenced my decision- It's great looking. That's the color scheme I think I'm going for.

Chris- I'm always glad when I can save a marriage! If, for some reason, I can't make things work out, I'll get in touch with you.

I think as far as the wife goes, I'll be OK on this one- She is picking up a $4,000 embroidery machine this weekend (custom pennants, anyone??)... So, I think I'll be OK. Besides, I've got enough room to tuck it away in the basement where it's out of sight, therefore out of mind. When it rolls out of the basement next, it'll look like it just left the factory (hopefully!)

-Andrew

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18599

Andrew,
Great find. Can't wait to see her finished. Can't help you on the wife issue either. Mine is giving me grief becasue I just THOUGHT about another boat, money, where do we put it, Blah! Blah! Blah! She don't get it! I officially have the disease now. Clipper is just about done so.....

Herters, Sweet ride, nice job. I especially like the ORIGINAL MINI pulling it!

Kerry, tried that line, even reminded her how sweet I am for having her Hot Flashes for her, no joy so far. Still working it though. Really want that '59 woody!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18609

hi andrew,im interested in custom burgees,can she make them 2 sided?i want one maybe two for the cutter jet de ville.email me ,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18612

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
She SHOULD be able to make 'em, John. She's supposed to pick the machine up today, but I haven't heard from her yet... She will be taking lessons to learn how to operate it, and the software package that goes with it. It's quite a machine! Better be for that kind of money...

I'm TOLD I'll be able to embroider logos in my seat vinyl for the boat seats. I guess we'll see.

-Andrew

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18624

hmmm,i need patches made to cover the lowes logo on my seats,and new burgeeslol,i may just be her 1st customer,lol.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18635

I'm looking into the custom pennant as well. Keep us up to date on how she's doing with it. Don't need it until next summer.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18651

LOL! I showed DH this thread and he confessed to watching the auction. He was going to bid but decided against it when it started at $200.

We made a pact this spring that we wouldn't buy anymore boats until we bought a lake house. At the time we had 2 boats. As of now we have 6 (using Andy's logic that 3 are VERY small!)And they each cost less than it would take for a trip to the vet for 2 of our dogs.

Guys, if I can help you out on this boat/marriage thing at all. Buy a boat FOR your wife! A cute little one and paint it her favorite color - let her name it and take it out for girls days out on the lake (without kids and hubbies)...... just a thought.

Andy, definately we need some custom burgees. Keep me in mind.

Jerri

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18659

herters59

Don't want to high jack the therd but how did you you make the 2 spouts coming up from the back of the boat in the last picture?. I can remember boats that had someting like that from back in the 50s.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

herters59 wrote:

Congratulations on your Volksboat.
I recently finished the restroation of a 59 Volksboat. I had a run of windshields made. ( Sorry all of them sold.) I know that Wefco has the die for the rub rail.
Did you get any of the trim with yours. Like the front handle, nose piece, rail supports,or bowlight?

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18673

The two spouts are from a product from the fifties called a ROOSTER TAIL. They are basicly a couple of stainless steel cups or trough like things that catch the water and shoot it up in the air. They are very adjustable and you can shoot as little or as much as you want. But at twenty seven miles and hour that is what you get from a Volksboat.

D
Attachments:

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18682

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The rooster tails look great!

I'm going to have to get some closeups & measurements of some of the hardware- I DOUBT if I'm going to be able to find parts anywhere- So I'm going to have to fire up the old foundry... I can cast most anything out of aluminum if I need to- and could probably manage to work in Bronze/brass if I needed to as well.

Oh- My wife said that she'll be 'ready' to attempt a burgee/pennant within a month or so. We'll see how it goes!

-Andrew

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18685

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
herters59 wrote:

The two spouts are from a product from the fifties called a ROOSTER TAIL. They are basicly a couple of stainless steel cups or trough like things that catch the water and shoot it up in the air. They are very adjustable and you can shoot as little or as much as you want. But at twenty seven miles and hour that is what you get from a Volksboat.

D

Didn't the Cobia used in the movie "Gator" starring Burt Reynolds have something similar on it?

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18689

I have a trailer frame and axle that would be great for a Volksboat if anyone needs it. I'm sure it will need bearings and lights, but the basics are there. Had it for years and haven't done anything with it. No charge. No registration.

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18690

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
crosbyboat- i could really use that trailer. i have just bought a volksboat 3 mos back and have been wondering what to put it on. it looks lost on a regular trialer! where are you located?

Jon

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18767

Albany, NY area. The frame and axle are small enough they can be lifted on a roof top or truck bed for transport. If you can use it, it's yours.

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18809

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
i wish i was closer. maybe next summer. i'll check back w/ you to see if you still have it. but for now, albany is out of reach!

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18812

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Check this out- My restore just got a LOT easier :)

This was the part that I was most worried about being able to locate or fabricate... Turns out the seller had it!

I'm working out shipping details for the boat and the Tee Nee trailer that I bought from the same seller. I was PLEASANTLY surprised by some of the rates I got at USHIP.COM, they were actually less than I could drive up there and back for. Plus, it's door to door shipping on a flatbed- No worries about wheels, tires, bearings...

-Andrew
Attachments:

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18817

Andrew, keep us on your buyers list for both the burgees and the gator tail. Would be fun to have the gator tail on our Redfish Shark.

Jerri

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 11 months ago #18821

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Those Rooster Tail Jobbers Can you still buy those any place or anybody have a set ?? Those look pretty cool .. Probaully wouldnt be to hard to build . Those are the stainless steel looking things on your Transom there arent they ..I can see them I think when its sitting on your trailer picture .

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 10 months ago #18937

herters59 wrote:

D

I agree a couple close up pictures would be great.

How far away are they spread out from the motor?

Re:Volksboat.... 13 years 10 months ago #18965

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well, The Volksboat and Tee-Nee made it's first trip today- It is now in Port Huron at a fellow Fiberglassic house (Thanks, GIL!), where it will await it's ride to Tennessee.

I'm finalizing freight quotes now... I just wish the wife was excited as I am :)

-Andrew

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.109 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7881 guests and no members online