Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE

HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 14 years 5 days ago #17129

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what Cu Inch/HP my Ford Interceptor Motor is based on the Ser#. The information i have seen recently sent to me by another enthusiast doesn't seem to cover my year motor.

The Serial number is: NOGR9OR319233

Although, the engine Identification literature i have is somewhat helpful as it appears the motor is a "1963" which makes sense because it's fitted into a '64 Dorsett, it appears to be a "reverse" rotation motor, but i cant tell the CU IN or HP. I was told by the previous owner who inherited the boat it was a 302. I just want to confirm before i go buy the manual. If anyone has any information they can share that will assist me with identifying it, i cant thank you enough for your time and information.
thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 14 years 5 days ago #17130

I'm not an inboard expert, but I am pretty sure 1963 is pre-302 small block. Might be a 289, as that was the common one in those days...
- Scott

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 14 years 5 days ago #17132

1963 was the 1st year for the 289.

Frank

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 14 years 5 days ago #17134

Thanks Scott and Frank. That's what i've been hearing is that it may be a 289. I've been trying to find online a key or publication that breaks down the Ser# for this year interceptor. And apparently there are some additional "See Codes" numbers that are part of the Ser# that mean something also. No luck yet. I do appreciate your input Guys.

-Steve

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 14 years 5 days ago #17135

1963 or 64 will be the 260. The 289 first came out in '65. In my 1964 Super G the 260 was rated at 165 horses with a 2bbl carb, but in my 1965 Arenacraft the 289 with 4bbl was rated at 200.
Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 14 years 5 days ago #17158

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Look at the casting number on the block. C20E, C30E and C40E were 260 cubic inch castings. Not positive, but pretty sure the 289 blocks had AE instead of 0E for the run of 5 bolt bellhousing blocks.

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 14 years 5 days ago #17159

The Serial number is: NOGR9OR319233

NO= No. (number)

G= Engine Displacement (The chart I sent you stops at "E" so I assume there is an "F-displacement" motor also- probably Fords new inline 6-cyl) My motor is also a "G" and is clearly identified as a 260 Cu In Ford.
R= Horsepower Rating (My motor is G-"T" and it's 165 HP. All the ads and things I have collected for Interceptors.. the available HP's in 1963-1964 were: 105 HP, 120HP for the (2) inline 6's, The 160HP was a V8 and "new" for LATE 1963 but it does not list a displacement. I believe you may find it stamped on the block to the upper left of the timing cover.
90= Interceptor MFG Code unknown. My engine is also a "90". it may indicate drive-type, water pump configuration, aletnator/gen equipped, etc.. but I do not have that code-book.
R= reverse rotation
3= 1963 It is NOT unusual to find earlier motors assigned to later year mfg craft
19233= sequential serial number
Attachments:

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 14 years 4 days ago #17230

69Fab and Classicfins, hey I really appreciate all the great informative information here. after reading all this great stuff from you guys it appears that i likely have a 260! I will let you guys know what i find out when i set eyes on it here this weekend. Just bought the boat 2 weeks ago, hasnt been run in 20+ years, i pulled the plugs in last weekend and shot lubrication inside. Gonna let it set for a week then try to gently rotate it (one day at a time). DO i need to disconnect the motor from the EATON drive unit? My next challenge will be trying to identify the model of the EATON outdrive.

Doug, does yours have an EATON? There is lever on top of the bell-housing. looks like it might serve to engage or disengage the outdrive or something like that. it moves in a 180 degree with what appears to be 6 settings on it.

Sincerely appreciate the help
Steve

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 14 years 4 days ago #17241

If your's pivots 180 degrees- it is likely an earlier unit than mine. Again, I haven't had any luck ID'ing mine either,,

I do have a writeup on the earlier drives from Popular Science Kune 1961:
Attachments:

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 14 years 4 days ago #17275

Hi,
I really do not remember much about the Eaton units, but we do have a real nice owner's pack for a "B" model outdrive. The picture of the cover might be helpful to view: www.fergusonpoolemarine.com/inboardmotorparts.html

Regards,
Joe

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 14 years 3 days ago #17298

Thanks for the Pop Science article. from an intial glance, it appears that it could be mine. wonder what the differences were between the Powernaut and the Powernaut B. i was reading that the Powernaut B was fitted to the 6cyl. Appreciate the assist.
Steve

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 14 years 3 days ago #17299

Hi Joe,
once i figure out what i have, if its a powernaut b, i will be getting that manual from you if you still have it. Thanks for making it available.
Steve

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 13 years 11 months ago #17606

Thanks folks. I found out this past weekend that my engine is a 1963 221cu in. Thanks Fabuglas for the image that showed me exactly where to look. also, on friday my tech manuals arrived which assisted me with identifying the other numbers that comprise the Serial #. if anyone needs any help identifying the exact specs on their 221, 260, or 289 interceptor, let me know.

appreciate all the assistance!

Steve

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 13 years 11 months ago #17608

Steve..

ANYTHING you can send along for my 1965 260 Interceptor would be appreciated..

Ray

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 13 years 11 months ago #17980

Ray,

Looking at your (most of which you got already) Ser# GT90R524783

G = Type of Carburetion (G is a 2 Barrel, Downdraft, Aluminum Intake Manifold) they made 2 and 4 barrel in both aluminium and cast iron

T = Displacement (260 CuIn) There were 3 displacement codes R=221, T=260, W=289

90 = Type of Reverse Gear (there were several reverse gears, 90=IO, 84-85=Bobtail (Jet Boat), 1-4=Eaton Inboard Gear, 94=Vee Drive, and 21-40=Warner Gear)

R=Rotation R-Right Hand Rotation (looking from the flywheet over the engine - also stamped on the motor as RH w/CuIn just below) (L=Left Hand Rotation)

524783=Sequence Ser #

Your 260 had a bore stroke of either 3.80"/2.87" and Compression of 8.7
The 221,260, 289-2bl and 289-4bl were all grouped in the same family.

Ray,
Does your Eaton unit have the shifter lever square in the middle of the unit that moves through a slotted opening in the housing? if it does, i found out that those units are series fourteen and sixteen drive units. i still need the manual for these. i ordered a powernaut manual and it turned out to be the wrong manual unit from the ono i have. The eaton unit i have has the shifter in the rear-midline where the shifter cable goes through the top housing cover and has a swivel clip on the other side to hold the cable in place.

Steve

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 13 years 11 months ago #18005

Here's mine...
Attachments:

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 13 years 11 months ago #18022

Ray,
cool. That looks exactly like mine. Do you know if it a Series 14 or 16? I ordered the Eaton Powernaut manual (not the Powernaut B) which is what i thought was the correct manual, but turns out the manual i got must be for an older Eaton. I'm seeing small bits of information on the net were there was a Series 14 or Series 16 outdrive that was fitted to the Interceptor motors around 1963-65. i think one of these series may be what we have. Mine appears to be in decent shape. I just need to be patient to free up some of the gear bearings. i have it soaking now in penetrating oil, only has 140 hrs on the tach, but has been sitting for nearly 30 years and began taking it apart this past weekend. Are you selling your outdrive? would be nice to have a spare. thanks again for all the help.
Steve

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 13 years 11 months ago #18028

Steve,
Thanks for the serial number info...

Yes, the entire unit is for sale.. I have everything from the boat including the steering wheel, shifter, cables, etc..
I have sold the Tach and fuel gauges, but still have the gauge panel. It's been polished and I added "engine-turned" aluminum vinyl to it.

E-me direct and we'll discuss it..

Ray
Attachments:

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 13 years 11 months ago #18375

Ray,
That guage panel looks sweet. Are you selling your stuff as a unit or will you part it out? thanks.

steve

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 13 years 11 months ago #18444

I'd like to just sell it all... $700
I think the engine/drive should stay together... but who knows..
The controls, mufflers, steering etc can be sold separately, but they would value out (on ebay) close to what I want for everything..

Ray

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 13 years 11 months ago #18500

ray,
Thanks. Do you know the serial number for the drive unit?

Steve

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 13 years 10 months ago #20351

It's a 260 interceptor Outdrive, very cool boat. the reverse pin-latches in the out drive can weaken and prevent the outdrive from locking in, in reverse. Do not take this boat on salt water. Besides electrolysis setting in the v drive, It also tends to get into the distributer and fouls up the timing.
It's also best to ad hydraulic trim tabs for stabilization. I think it interesting, the tunnel ram above the engine on your boat is placed on the engine cover as the one on my super G is molded on the cover.
The 260 was more common than the 289. I believe Glasspar only made 27, 289 Interceptor V-drive boats. Kev

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 10 years 5 months ago #93396

I noticed this post is bout 3 years old or so. does anyone have manuals for these old interceptor motors. i also need a manual for the Eaton outdrive. I cannot find the boats serial number either. The registration says it a 1969 model but i think it is wrong. More like a 63 to 65 model. Ill check back a soon a s i can. any help would be great. The boat i have is in great shape. The motor turns. Just having a hard time trying to order parts. Thanks-D-

Re:HELP TO IDENTIFY MY INTERCEPTOR MOTOR SIZE 10 years 5 months ago #93423

pics would help to answer your questions. the interceptor manuals can be found on evilbay from time to time. i do have a couple interceptor manuals,but the older 292/312 is completely different from the 260,289,302. parts for the motors are readily available. as to the eaton outdrive......good luck. you best bet would be to do as i did and buy another complete one if you came across one. skipp

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online