Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: RESTORATION SATISFACTION

RESTORATION SATISFACTION 14 years 1 week ago #16977

I was just curious as to how many of you out there would rather dive into a restoration project , than just pick a boat ready to go. My situation is this.. I had an 1959 american marc catamarine .I really wanted to keep it but i need money more than I needed the boat . Then after I sold it I came upon my current project a 1970 Fiberform 16' runabout I came across for free!!!! and after talking it over with my wife she agreed that it was meant to be, I have a budget of 1000.00 total to restore the boat , and to this point I have been lucky . Most of the work is just good old fasion elbow grease. I will end up at probably 800.00 with new seats , carpet , top and a trolling motor.
My point is I am really taking pride in the results I am having and everything is just falling to place on this one, I have spent countless hours with cleaners and polish , paint and so on and I don't think the smile has ever left my face.I really wish I could do this for a living . I would be in heaven .. I find myself sometimes just staring and the boat and what i have done with it , I also think back to what the designer's were thinking when they did design work on some of these older boats, it was more like an artist working on a sculpture for most of these older boats.I guess i am just a classic boat guy!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:RESTORATION SATISFACTION 14 years 1 week ago #16980

johnnycat,i agree,most of the time,lol,i hate sanding,lol.the rest i like to do.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re: RESTORATION SATISFACTION 14 years 1 week ago #16981

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
One thing I always think of when I see someone with a new boat is I can go buy one of those but try and buy a 1965 model!

Re:RESTORATION SATISFACTION 14 years 1 week ago #16983

I would much rather put the work into my own project than buy a finish one. I restored a couple air cooled VW's and to drive an aircooled VW you need to love it. I feel the same with an old classic boat you need to love it and know every part of it so when something happens you will be understanding, look back at the old thing and say "Man I Love This Old Boat"

Re: RESTORATION SATISFACTION 14 years 1 week ago #16992

DelRay wrote:

One thing I always think of when I see someone with a new boat is I can go buy one of those but try and buy a 1965 model!

Ain't it the truth Pete? People ogle my Power Cat, but they can't run out and buy one. I have had guys in slick go-fast boats stop and talk on the river here a few times, take pictures and all. Very cool stuff.

Ya gotta love these cool old boats.

Frank

Re: RESTORATION SATISFACTION 14 years 1 week ago #17009

Johnnycat,I think the joy in doing something
new and seeing it through to the end, out weighs
hooking up the trailer and driving her home.After
bringing barn and weed finds back to life,well
it doesn't get any better than that.

Rick
Attachments:

Re:RESTORATION SATISFACTION 14 years 1 week ago #17013

johnnycatt wrote:

I would be in heaven .. I find myself sometimes just staring and the boat and what i have done with it , I also think back to what the designer's were thinking when they did design work on some of these older boats, it was more like an artist working on a sculpture for most of these older boats.I guess i am just a classic boat guy!!

You gots the bug...If ya can doing your gets my vote.

Re:RESTORATION SATISFACTION 10 years 5 days ago #101005

I very much envy you guys that have the skills and the time to do your restorations. I have time to do nothing. Just having a free day to put the boat in the water is rare. On top of that I know zero about fiberglass work, electronics, carpentry or painting!!! I'm a good lawyer but as I ask people who tell me they want to go to law school "Don't you know how to do anything else?-- If so, do it!" The point of all this is you are blessed if you have the time and skills to fix your own boats/cars, whatever. Not all of us that pay someone else to do the work for us do so because we are lazy. In fact, if the person is a classic car or boat guy or gal I'd wager chances are good they hire the work done for reasons similar to mine and would give a body part to be able to do their own work.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online