Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Back to back seat plans

Back to back seat plans 3 years 10 months ago #143474

I have (and am beginning to love) an old worn out 1965 MFG Niagra that I found on Craigslist. It's in the process of being brought back to life by an old guy who has never owned a boat before in his 74 years of life (me). I fabricated and installed a new windshield thanks to a very informative post here on Fiberglassics and now wonder if there is any guidance for making a pair of back to back seats. The only thing that came with the boat is a single rectangular base on the drivers' side. Rather than buy new seats, I would like to make them myself 'just because'. I've tried searching this site for help but my computer skills are at best limited. If any direction can be given, it will be greatly appreciated. BTW: I'm a 'sort of' retired Handyman, automotive gearhead since age 14, can work with fiberglass in a limited fashion (can't make a Corvette fender, but can repair a hole in one and paint it), and can't wait to get my unique little boat in the water next Spring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Back to back seat plans 3 years 10 months ago #143594

I rebuilt the back to back seats in my '60 Bowman that were destroyed by a racoon prior to my purchasing the boat. Anyway, I had the frames and plywood backs as a starting point but had to make the cushion patterns from scratch. I searched the internet for photo's of vintage boat seats I liked and also purchased a second hand commercial walking foot sewing machine for the project. There are many good tutorials how to sew online. If you search for "Cechaflo" on you tube, I learned a LOT from him. Also look at Sailrite.com, They sell material and have many tutorial video's as well. I purchase materials (seat foam and vinyl from both Sailrite and Albrightssupply.com. As far as patterns for your seats you can make your own frames and seatbacks from marine plywood to the size that exactly fits your boat. They're pretty simple, just time consuming but you will enjoy the end result and have the pride knowing you did it yourself.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8035 guests and no members online