Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1966 Cobia 27

1966 Cobia 27 4 years 1 month ago #143128

Hi. I'm new to the forum and did a search, but nothing turned up. I'm not even sure if this boat will qualify as a "Fiberglassic", but I'm starving for info, so I'm hoping someone can chime in....

I've fallen for a 1966 Cobia 27' hardtop that's very close to my house. She has (what I think) are beautiful lines and a lot going for her. I can not find ANY evidence online of this boat ever existing. I messaged Cobia and they offered nothing (they didn't build her- Cobia has undergone several ownership changes since the 60s).

I can get her for next to nothing and she already has a REALLY nice Stainless Marine bracket on the back for a big outboard. This frees up lots of room on an already huge deck.

I envision her with a 250 or 300HP Yamaha (that old Johnson would immediately go) and a radar arch. Used for family cruising and local diving.

Can anyone tell me anything about this old beauty? Is it a POS? Should I run away? If I put a 250 on her, think I could cruise around 20kt?

If I move forward at all, I plan on having a surveyor inspect the stringers and transom.

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1966 Cobia 27 4 years 1 month ago #143131

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
You're right. It does have great lines and she's well worth the time and money it will take to get her back in the game.

Are you sure it's a 1966? The Fiberglassics library lists several models (for 1965) but none as large as 27'. You can't always believe the year listed on a title. The DNR only knows what they've been told. Cobia did offer a 27' Blue Water Cruiser in 1971 which looks to be identical to yours. (Maybe other years also?) The flying bridge and an outboard or stern drive were most likely options.

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

1966 Cobia 27 4 years 1 month ago #143132

Thanks so much - this one does look identical. I'm sure of nothing. I'm just going off what the current owner told me.

So weird: why does the NADA guide just ignore the 27' from 1971?
www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1971/Cobia-Boats-Robalo#

1966 Cobia 27 4 years 1 month ago #143134

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
The reason they ignore it is because they probably don't know it exists. For the most part, the NADA guide is useless anyway, especially for boats. I recently sold a Donzi for $10K that NADA claimed was worth about $4,500. The reason I could sell it for that much is because that's what they are selling for. At $4.5K, I'll buy every one I can find!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9357 guests and no members online