Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Testing/wiring a 1965 Sparton horn - not working

Testing/wiring a 1965 Sparton horn - not working 4 years 1 month ago #143012

Hi all.

I have a Sparton horn in my 1965 Starcraft Arrow and I can't get it to work. It previously worked, but the crappy patch-worked wiring has been diced up as part of a new steering/motor installation -- so I need to rewire. I am now re-wiring from scratch for lights and horn (there's nothing else in that little boat anyway).

Starting with temporary straight runs to validate the devices and my logic. I removed the questionable momentary switch and associated wiring, and tried to get the horn running with a direct battery connection to validate the wiring before moving on the switch.

There's two wires coming from the horn. One from a lug inside the horn (presumed positive), and one from the outside that runs from a chassis location (presumed ground). When I wired directly to the battery, I got some struggled noises and sizzling on the positive batter connector. That suggests a short. I get continuity between the two wires from the horn, which initially puzzled me because it suggests that the horn is internally shorted, but then I realized that I may be getting continuity through the device per normal. So I rethunk it all, made some adjustments, and tried again. No sound, but a sizzling connection. So it's definitely not right.

Removed the horn, disassembled the obvious bits, cleaned it, and verified the connections. Dumped out 3 acorns which were presumably being stored for winter. Reassemble... Now I I have no idea how to test it, or to force it to make a noise. Do I need a load resistor or relay on the positive side between the battery and the horn? I'm hoping I didn't fry it.

The plan for wiring, BTW, is to run fresh (and fused) pos/neg wires from the battery to the dash, and use a +-terminal block and neg-terminal block (ground bus). Then I'll run short wires from the blocks to the switches and load devices and fuse each on the + side. For the horn, I'm putting in a new but vintage momentary to interrupt on the + wire.

Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Testing/wiring a 1965 Sparton horn - not working 4 years 1 month ago #143014

you have a picture of this horn

Testing/wiring a 1965 Sparton horn - not working 4 years 1 month ago #143018

cap-n billybob wrote: you have a picture of this horn

Yep. Here you go. I am getting about 0.9 Ohms across the two wires, so I'm thinking that's good. It's riveted so I don't want to have to open it because I assume I need to drill out the rivets. I think the star-like screw is the pitch control.

Testing/wiring a 1965 Sparton horn - not working 4 years 1 month ago #143019

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
When this type of thing happens to me, if I can't fix it, I get out a hammer I call The Big Hurt and REALLY fix it...for good! Your horn is no showpiece. Why not just buy another one? They don't cost all that much.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Testing/wiring a 1965 Sparton horn - not working 4 years 1 month ago #143020

Nautilus wrote: When this type of thing happens to me, if I can't fix it, I get out a hammer I call The Big Hurt and REALLY fix it...for good! Your horn is no showpiece. Why not just buy another one? They don't cost all that much.

I totally get that, but I want to understand how it works too. It worked before being disconnected, so I am assuming it still works but I'm not wiring or testing it right. I could go get a replacement, but might find out that that there's nothing wrong with the horns, and it's ME that was faulty all along. Won't be the first time. I'd prefer a positive diagnosis that it's faulty.

I spent part of today diagnosing a trailer light fault. It never gets any easier. :laugh:

Testing/wiring a 1965 Sparton horn - not working 4 years 1 month ago #143027

Hello Squirrel Murphy,

Your .9 ohm reading is probably OK. Not a dead short.

I would test by connecting the hot lead though a fuse and a momentary switch. Connect to a battery and push the switch on.
If the fuse does not blow you should be able to get it to sound by slowly adjusting the star screw.

I also have a Sparton horn although it is not a sealed unit. And I occasionally pull the cover to adjust for maximum TOOT.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Testing/wiring a 1965 Sparton horn - not working 4 years 1 month ago #143031

Terrydi wrote: Hello Squirrel Murphy,
Your .9 ohm reading is probably OK. Not a dead short.

Thanks Terry. That's what I needed to hear. I'll test as you suggest and report back here. Ordering a new momentary now.

Still weird to me that a simple battery loop through the horn caused sizzling (and maybe some tiny sparking). But maybe in my testing I wasn't wired the way I thought I was...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9281 guests and no members online