Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: help with hin

help with hin 4 years 4 months ago #142253

ok it looks like i need a hull id number to insure my boat. so i am looking for a mfg owner that could tell me what the prefix for their hin i haven't seen my registration to see if it is on there but i did not find any plate or number on the boat when i got it. it needs insurance to dock at a marina, oh just for reference boatus doesn't insure boats over 50 years old. so if anyone can help. thanks in advance.

billy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

help with hin 4 years 4 months ago #142254

Can't help you with the HIN, but for insurance I use Haggerty, give them a try
Cheers
Bill

help with hin 4 years 4 months ago #142255

Hi Billy, so I had my '60 Wagemaker under Progressive up until last year when they said they wouldn't insure it anymore so I switched over to Hagerty. I already had the Century Resorter woody under Hagerty so I just added the Wagemaker. Probably aren't the cheapest but I couldn't find anyone else at the time.
As far as HIN goes I think anything before 1970 didn't require one, Others with better memory can jump in here. My Wagemaker is a '60 and when I got it registered in Maryland they issued me one since it didn't come with one and the title reflected it didn't. The new title they gave me had one and I have to make a plat and mount, just never got around to it yet. ;) I'm living in Florida now.

Bob

help with hin 4 years 4 months ago #142257

• DPA
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The prefix you're looking for is the MIC, Manufacturers Identification Code. Molded Fiberglass Products got "MFG" as their MIC.

www.uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification-detail.php?id=7825

help with hin 4 years 4 months ago #142258

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Hagerty insured my Century also, what's nice about that is you can set an agreed value, no prorated hassle. My '76 is with Progressive with just basic coverage. Got a discount since they also have my RV, and motorcycle. $100.p/yr

help with hin 4 years 4 months ago #142261

progressive says it will be 330.00 for a year, for agreed price 10,000.00 i have my cars with them. they haven't asked for a hull number yet. boat us wouldnt insure it. i will call hagerty to see if its cheaper.

billy

help with hin 4 years 4 months ago #142267

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
This is one of those catch-22 situations. The Federal Boat Safety Act went into affect in 1972, but was not retroactive. Part of the regulations that were eventually put in place to carry out the Act were the sections requiring all recreational boats have an HIN, but since it wasn't retroactive boats built prior to 1972 don't have one (in Fact a lot of boats built in 1972 didn't have one either, for instance my boat., a 1972 Sea Ray)

However, the states were given the authority to assign an HIN to older and homebuilt boats, but a lot of the states simply didn't implement that provision. That is until about 4 years ago. The Coast Guard got on their case and now all states are required to assign an HIN to all recreational boats that don't have one. The insurance company got into the act and started saying, no insurance without an HIN. So how do you get one? You simply register the boat and they will assign it one. Of course you will have to show some paperwork, bill of sale, old registrations etc to prove ownership. Some states even require a visual check by an LEO. But you get the HIN, make up a tag, put it on the boat, and you're good to go.

PS. They issue you a registration with the HIN on it, and in those states that title boats, a new title with the HIN on it.
This is not much different than VINs on cars and trailers.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

help with hin 4 years 4 months ago #142274

Thanks for the good explanation Ike

Andreas

help with hin 4 years 4 months ago #142300

I'm not sure how your state is, but in Wyoming its pretty easy. Game and Fish issues the HIN number's here for boats that dont have one. The process was to download the form from the game and fish, have the sheriff's office inspect the hull and sign the form that no HIN was present. Take the form, proof of ownership and send it to the Game and Fish who will issue the HIN number. The HIN will then need to be stamped onto plates (or the boat) and attached to the boat in two different spots. After the HIN is issued, then its simply applying for a hull number for registration. I would suspect that most states are pretty similar. The big issue is that most dmv's or whoever issues the HIN numbers in your state, is they probably only do a handful per year compared to cars and trucks so they are not really familiar with the process. Don't know if it helped but that was the process I did yesterday.

help with hin 4 years 4 months ago #142307

well the gang has come thru again. i got my insurance with haggerty a good price, 10,000,00 for 295.00 ad they said i could create a hull number and plate it on the boat take a picture and send it to them but right now it is listed as N/A called the DNR and he said as far as them it does not need a hull number .. its 60 years old. so i could make up an id mfg-2020fg something. but i an covered and i can slip it at lanett alabama at Southern Harbor marina and enjoy it.

thanks again

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8034 guests and 2 members online