Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Johnson outboard

Johnson outboard 4 years 8 months ago #141718

Hello all,
I have a question for those of you who know about Johnson motors. I picked up a Johnson 60HP Loop-Charged Hydro Electric Drive outboard Ser#60ESL-700. Is this a good running motor aside from the fact that it's not a mechanical shift? It's a 3-cylinder motor. I got it to hopefully put on my 1960 Dolphin Salty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Johnson outboard 4 years 8 months ago #141722

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Excellent choice.. Those Evinrude/Johnson three bangers are tough. I would strongly suggest you drain and flush the lower unit before anything else. The hydro-electric takes a special lube oil. I think it's a type "c". You can get it just about anywhere, omc dealers, NAPA Auto. most stores that have a marine dept. Do Not Use Regular Gear Oil. A new water impeller would be advised also. Parts are easily available.
Now that being said keep in mind that the push button gear shifting unit could cause some issues. Do not panic. A good contact cleaning and wire inspection would be in order. Some used are available on the net but $$$$ because they are not made anymore. Here is a link that would be helpful should you need it. Copy it and file for future use if needed.
forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/johnson-evinrude-outboards/108815-johnson-hydroelectric-shift
www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1970&hp=60
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: retiredlt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7698 guests and no members online