Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1957 Tomahawk resto

1957 Tomahawk resto 6 years 2 weeks ago #137760

Just a few images of the process...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1957 Tomahawk resto 6 years 2 weeks ago #137761

time to clean her up
Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk resto 6 years 2 weeks ago #137764

sorry guys trying to figure out how to upload more than one image....

1957 Tomahawk resto 6 years 2 weeks ago #137777

more to come

1957 Tomahawk resto 6 years 1 week ago #137823

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Hooooo boy. You got yourself a project for sure.
I'm in the process of restoring my second Tomahawk. The first one was a "58. What do you have in mind for front seats?
I had to fabricate some using 3/4" galvanized conduit and a pipe bender. See the pictures. If you need to know how to, just ask,
The one I'm working on now is a '60 that has the nice front seat backs molded in.
PS. That's a 135hp Evinrude hanging on the back of the '58. Should see the looks on the new guys when I would blow by them with a 60yr old boat :evil:

Dr Go is in the background with his Admiral polishing the chrome, I'm standing on the dock watching :) B)
Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk resto 6 years 3 days ago #137881

What did you do for rub rail?

1957 Tomahawk resto 6 years 3 days ago #137882

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
For the coral colored one I used a black stick on rub rail that is used in the auto body shops. Once it's on it does not come off! The company that it came from is called Trimco, based in Canada but sells to auto supply stores. I got mine through a local auto supplies store that sells paint and accessories.
I've used the moldings on several other boats. The chrome stuff is really great. I'll toss a picture of the chrome on my shell lake rocket. Here's a link to the company.
If you go to your local auto store they could probably order it for you. Goes for about $1 a foot, comes in 50 or 100 ft. rolls.
www.trimco.info/about-us/
You can use a heat gun on low setting to make it quite pliable to make the curves.

I also just purchased a 50ft. roll of chrome edge molding to go around the windshield and tail finn ends. It fits a 14" width perfect for those two applications.

The Tomahawk I'm doing now has all the original bump rails is good shape, just needs polishing.
The boat is set for a short shaft motor. If you plan on using an older motor you should be good otherwise you'll have to raise the transom about 5". If you look at my pics you can see that I did just that. Ancient Chinese secret how to do that and make it strong enough to handle some serious weight and HP.
Pay no attention to the steel rebar that is drilled over 6" through the new addition and another 6" into the old transom ;)
Attachments:

1957 Tomahawk resto 6 years 2 days ago #137890

I had planned on doing a modern short shaft motor. Probably a brand new honda or yamaha, 50hp, this is what my father put on his mfg. He never had to raise the transom.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online