Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Larson Thunderhawk project

1959 Larson Thunderhawk project 6 years 1 month ago #137269

Well some of you may remember this blue thunderhawk that I started posting about over 6 years ago. Well I was determined to get it on the water this summer so I pulled it back out and started working on it. Well that did not last long because I ran across a red Thunderhawk with a 1959 Evinrude 50HP for $200.00 and it was located only 5 or so miles from Larry McKay (Vintage Boat Works) so I asked him if he could grab it for me before someone else got the dirty grubby hands on it and he said sure(thanks again Larry for all you have done to help me with these boats and parts). After I picked it up I just knew that I can now finish a boat before the summer is up. I got the Evinrude running and got all the hardware chromed and powdered, bought all new cables, light, wiring, etc and I should have it on the water in September. I skipped the gel coat for now because it looks good enough and I will gel coat it after the sun goes away for the year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1959 Larson Thunderhawk project 6 years 1 month ago #137271

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Nice find! Love the style of the Evinrude cowl.

1959 Larson Thunderhawk project 6 years 1 month ago #137359

UPDATE: I finished powder coating the control and did the assembly today. Also I decided to remove the Evinrude 50hp because 1 head reads 110-120 temp and the other side reads 160-170 so I guess I need to rebuild the power head. I decided to install the 1958 Evinrude 35hp survivor outboard that i did a post on recently and I think I made the right decision so I can get this boat in the water in the next 2-3 weeks.
Attachments:

1959 Larson Thunderhawk project 6 years 1 month ago #137500

99.9 percent finished. I finished powder coating the winch and the rear taillights yellow and the .01 percent left to do is machine some billet wedges to correct the angle of the taillights and it will be 100% done.
I also restore BMW Isetta 300 and have many spare parts so to keep with the period of the 1950's trailer and boat I used a pair of 1957 Isetta 300 taillights.

SORRY I POSTED THIS UNDER THE WRONG TITLE BUT IT IS THE TRAILER FOR THIS 1959 THUNDERHAWK JR BOAT SO I GUESS IT IS OK.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online