Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mercury 110 Lower End Question

Mercury 110 Lower End Question 6 years 6 months ago #135948

Hi,

I have a 1962 Merc 110 9.8hp. I removed the lower end 2 years ago to change the impeller, however I ended up buying a better motor and let it sit in my basement. I recently revisited it and got the lower end back in, however now it is frozen. I removed it again and I can not turn the drive shaft, or propeller. I can turn the prop to the left and it clicks, but when I try to turn it the other way it does not budge. When it was re-attached it I couldn't turn the flywheel at all.

I am thinking the bearings may have seized up, but I'm not sure. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mercury 110 Lower End Question 6 years 6 months ago #135952

Hello,
Sorry to read of the issue. Based on your description, yes, one or more of the three ball bearings are seized. There is one supporting the driveshaft just below the water pump housing, and one each for the forward and reverse gears. A roller bearing just above the pinion gear, which supports the driveshaft, could also be an issue. If you are to attempt the repair, a service manual, a work bench with a vise, and a tool to remove the gear housing (lower unit) aluminum cover, which threads into the propeller shaft area bore, would be the minimum requirements in my opinion. The aluminum cover could Very Carefully be instead drilled or cut to remove it, but either a tool would need to be made or purchased to tighten a replacement cover to the torque required upon reassembly.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Mercury 110 Lower End Question 6 years 6 months ago #135957

Thanks for the help! I might just look for a parts motor to swap lower ends out.

Mercury 110 Lower End Question 6 years 6 months ago #135966

Certainly I wish you well in locating a parts motor with a nice lower unit, but as most will not service the lower unit grease, this is the "bad" portion of many outboards. Also, as you have the first year model 110, and later models differ, I think 1962-1965? is what you will have to locate.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online