Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ongoing annual maintenance after restoration

Ongoing annual maintenance after restoration 6 years 7 months ago #135726

Hello all, in 2017 I restored the gelcoat on my 1989 Silverton 34 express per the FiberGlassics article:

www.fiberglassics.com/research-sp-59834616/109-restoring-gel-coat.html

The boat looks brand new; I am very satisfied and can’t thank FiberGlassics enough for their wisdom.
My question is about yearly maintenance. I am in Michigan so the boat is in the water for about 4 to 4.5 months. After I read the article, I realized I have been doing the yearly maintenance wrong. I’ve been hitting the boat every year with heavy duty compound, not using the correct wax, etc.

Because of all the work I did to bring back the gel coat, I want to preserve it, but not abuse it as I’ve done in the past.

For annual maintenance in the spring before launch, off the top of my head, my initial thoughts are to perhaps start with a light compound, 3m Finesse it, 2 coats of sealer, 2 coats of Collinite. Also I have not waxed the boat when it’s in the water, hard on the back, but I am willing to do so if that’s what’s recommended.

Any input relative to yearly maintenance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ongoing annual maintenance after restoration 6 years 6 months ago #135787

I restored this old girl from '03 to '07. The 1969 gelcoat was real oxidized. I brought the hull back with #800 sandpaper and did the Finesse program. I use Buff Magic, and then Meguirs wax on it for a yearly maintenance program. The topside is too far gone, Soft Scrub and car wash soap for that. It's only original once...
Larry
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online