Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 72 Mercury115 Compression test

72 Mercury115 Compression test 7 years 1 month ago #133937

I have a 72 115 mercury. I am taking the powerhead off to replace the lower cowling. I tested the compression before taking apart, and got 105 to 110 psi on all cylinders. 5 lb max variation. I am wondering if that may be good, or engine teardown needed. What are your guys thoughts. I also have a couple 150 inlines, both 77's. I am going to test them. I am trying to put together a good engine for my 77 Glastron Carlson CV16. Is the basic 115 powerhead compatible with the 150's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

72 Mercury115 Compression test 7 years 1 month ago #133954

The 1972 1150 power head is not compatible as a unit with the 1500-6.
The crankshaft, rods, bearings, stator, switch-box & coil, and lower unit will cross, but that's about it.
A completely different bolt pattern between the power-head & the exhaust adapter plate, plus a different drive shaft housing (DSH) eliminate any hopes of marrying the early 1150 to the 1500 adapter plate & DSH.
In 1972, the 1400-6, was the first inline-6 to shift to the later exhaust configuration.
In 1973-1988, all inline-6 models shared lots of components that could be easily swapped around.
The cool part about a 1972 1150 is that armed with a few key parts it can easily be converted to a 1350, which is the badest of the oval port inline-6 Mercs. (IMHO of course)
doc

72 Mercury115 Compression test 7 years 1 month ago #133957

What about the compression? One manual I have says anything over 100 psi is acceptable. I did not have the carburetors open at time of the test, maybe this affected it. I am trying to put this boat together on the cheap, so If I don't have to tear down the powerhead, I may use it. I do have 2 matching 77 150's that I can use. One that I was told had no compression? obviously untrue, as I t ran, but would not power up. By the way, I picked both the 115 and a 150 up at a local scrap metal yard. Both powerheads look very good, but have broken lower cowels. My Glastron is rated for 125 HP, and is a 77 model, so 1`50 could be a better match. Thanks for the info, I should have posted this in the Mercury forum. Thanks again.

72 Mercury115 Compression test 7 years 1 month ago #133964

I hope the good DR. will agree with me, but I have been told anything over 100 # and consistent numbers through all cylinders is good. You should get a lot of use out of it before you need a rebuild. Give or take 5# between cylinders is not a problem.
Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online