Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Epoxy question

Epoxy question 7 years 5 months ago #131631

I used a lot of epoxy and fiberglass, on the bottom of my lake n sea boat.. I have been reading that epoxy breaks down getting UV rays from the sun. If i just have the epoxy on the bottom of the boat do I still need a bottom paint over it or can i use the epoxy as the final coat for the bottom?

File Attachment:

File Name:
File Size: 0 KB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Epoxy question 7 years 5 months ago #131635

Epoxy isnt UV stable, as you read it must be covered.

The bottom of the hull looks like its got quite a few waves, lumps and divits. Esp along the chine amidships..
The following user(s) said Thank You: joecffv@aol.com

Epoxy question 7 years 5 months ago #131637

I am not doing a perfect like new restoration. I'm going to get it to be water tight and float, as I want to get it in the water this summer, not take years working on it. So yes it has lots of ups downs etc.. However the hull sides and top I think will be better but again not an "on the showroom floor" look. I have been doing a lot of reading about the time, techniques and lengths lots of guys go to working on the projects. I commend them for their knowledge, abilities and willingness to share for the benefit of others. Yes, I will have to cover the epoxy bottom

Epoxy question 7 years 5 months ago #131638

It wasnt solely a cosmetics comment. All those imperfections will effect how it rides, handles and performs.

Epoxy question 7 years 5 months ago #131643

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167

joecffv@aol.com wrote: I am not doing a perfect like new restoration. I'm going to get it to be water tight and float, as I want to get it in the water this summer, not take years working on it. So yes it has lots of ups downs etc.. However the hull sides and top I think will be better but again not an "on the showroom floor" look. I have been doing a lot of reading about the time, techniques and lengths lots of guys go to working on the projects. I commend them for their knowledge, abilities and willingness to share for the benefit of others. Yes, I will have to cover the epoxy bottom

Joe, get it ready for the water. If it floats put a motor on it and enjoy it for the summer. If you're not racing anyone the handling is not a problem as long as you know how to control it. Call it your rat rod. I've done work for a young lady that has an old 16 footer with duck tape covering hole in the sides, seats rotted out and wiggling, boat looks like it'll sink in a 3" wave but she loves the hell out of it and could give a rats rear what anyone else thinks....she's also an attorney in St. Paul MN.

Epoxy question 7 years 5 months ago #131647

Yes enjoy her and if you want then restore it. Hey this is just good old cheap Rustleum on this one. Four or five years later now and it has faded and I'm still enjoying her. This is what I started with. There is a whole bunch of work in that hull. And a Tee Nee to boot. Not bad for free.
Attachments:

Epoxy question 7 years 5 months ago #131649

But is it really yours if you have no toil involved with the process. It makes you appreciate your own work. If you are Happy then it is alright. I could never sell itfor enough to pay for the work in mine but I'm happy. It's a Hobby.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: joecffv@aol.com

Epoxy question 7 years 5 months ago #131650

yes i'm thinking the way you are. WOW!!!! that blue looks great what kind of rostoleum did you use ?????? I did scrape off house paint that was on my boat as i did want a shiny smooth look, BUT.... it is going to get a bunch of nick and bangs anyway

Your boat is looking great !! Bravo

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online