Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 63 Farallon - too much?

63 Farallon - too much? 7 years 6 months ago #131136

Hi,

Could anybody give an opinion of the value of this Farallon? I was thinking 3-4k would be more appropriate?

www.fiberglassics.com/forum/sightings/130904-1963-dorsett-farallon.html

Thanks!

Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

63 Farallon - too much? 7 years 6 months ago #131187

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
What is your budget to get to the point of trailering to fuel her up then to the water to launch?
My opinion that boat/trailer package is nowhere near 3K value.
A single axle trailer is unusual for a Farallon, I've owned one, and a friend owned one, it is a big heavy package to tow.
Another trailer is an expense, or adding a second axle. Is it bunk or roller? Is the bottom warped from sitting on trailer? I've seen several Farallon with warped bottom from years on an inadequate trailer.
What tow rig do you have?
Are you absolutely sure that is a 292cid not a 250cid six cylinder? Check manifold availability.
It is raw water cooled, not the best for efficiency or long term reliability or freeze damage.
What outdrive does it have? A pre-Alpha? Props?
No windshield? Good luck on that.
Painted or gelcoat?
Fuel tank condition????????
Transom, stringers (they're wood), bulkhead condition?
Does everything work?

Even for a thousand bucks, add the trailer, windshield, freshwater cooling, etc.
For $3000.00 initial price, add all those items. What do you come up with for budget?

Buyers market, I think he'll have a tough time finding a buyer.

63 Farallon - too much? 7 years 6 months ago #131189

I was able to get him down to $4k, but I also haven't looked at it yet. I set that up for next Tuesday.

I have my concerns about the trailer as well. It looks like a bunk trailer but kind of a weird one. My father in-law is kind of a trailer mad genius, so I'm not too concerned on that front, I can probably figure it out for fairly cheap.

He said it is painted but he was going to re-paint it this spring (yeah right) and then would want more.

I'll be getting a full size truck to pull it.

As far as I know everything works. It sounds like he has had it for a long time and uses it.

Fresh water cooling is fine with me, I live in Michigan so corrosion from salt isn't an issue for me and I don't mind getting it winterized.

How would I go about checking the fuel tank/stringers...or other items under the floor? Obviously I'll be looking for soft spots in the fiberglass and floor.

My basic plan when I go to look at it is to look for any structural issues, big impacts on the fiberglass and such. If the interior needs work that's not a huge issue for me. But if it's a whole lot more than a re-paint or polish job concerning the hull I'll probably just walk.

I'll also be bringing some muffs along so we can fire it up.

63 Farallon - too much? 7 years 6 months ago #131289

Quick update:

Going to look at it today. The guy said the stringers are in good shape. He said he pulls up some of the floor every year to let them air out. Also, he said the previous owner (30 years ago) re-enforced them with aluminium. I could see this as being good or bad. Nice that they are re-enforced, but also begs the question of why do it in the first place as well as creating a point of entry for water into the wood if not sealed properly. I'll see how it was done when I'm there, on the plus side I get to see under the floor!

No upper windshield. Last had it in the water in 2015.

Also found a 1989 Baja Islander 190 bowrider for about the same price that is immaculate. While not the classic cruiser I was originally dreaming of, it would be practical for my family since it's ready to drop in the water and go. So I have a back-up plan at least or maybe that makes my decision even harder.

63 Farallon - too much? 7 years 6 months ago #131293

What a waste of time. That was a $1000 boat at best. Honestly I think one would be better off with a rotted one and just build from the ground up.

The reenforced stringers were an I beam on the inside bolted THROUGH THE HULL to a metal strap.
Lost of poorly done repairs to the bottom as well.

The boat also looked like it was painted with exterior house paint using a four inch brush.

At least it was an easy decision.

63 Farallon - too much? 7 years 6 months ago #131306

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I feel your pain (or relief). I found one with second layer of rotted floor wood with 3/4" of steel dry wall screws right through the bottom gelcoat! Surprised it wasn't screwed to the trailer bunks. Everything was too far gone and not a rare classic. A 70's common boat you find every other day. Wasted trip but at least got to walk away and dream another day.

Dr.Go!

63 Farallon - too much? 7 years 6 months ago #131309

The PO of my boat replaced the floor. He did use marine ply and remove the old floor, but he used 3" wood screws all the way down - including where the hull curved up toward the bow. The foremost screw was sticking through the hull an inch, the second one 1/2", and the third was a nub. I packed them out and epoxy-filled the holes. Heck, it's just a cheap old tri hull anyway.

On the good side, I understand that Baja built really great boats...lol.

63 Farallon - too much? 7 years 6 months ago #131313

• billr
I suspected that would be your reaction...
You made the correct move, run Forest run.
Everytime you look at a boat and walk away, you walk away with perspective and knowledge, which accumulates until you find the right one. Unless you get one of these nice Powercat's for a song, falling in your lap. That was a good deal there.
The Farallon's seem to be found in horrible shape more often than not. They are huge relative to most glassics, and take more effort and money to maintain. Many sit rotting away in yards. It is rare to find one in decent shape.
Having said that, if you want a big comfy cruiser they are nice.
I've owned the early Dorsett hulls, and the later San Juan with the cored hull. Both rode great. The Dorsett San Juan early or late style hull is the smoothest riding in it's size range relative to other glassics, that I've personally witnessed. The only thing I've personally ridden on that is better is a Powercat or similiar.
Attachments:

63 Farallon - too much? 7 years 6 months ago #131314

• billr
More San Juan pics, Commander on here did the resto, I just repowered her with a new Opti Max.
Attachments:

63 Farallon - too much? 7 years 6 months ago #131315

Beautiful boat! That floor is awesome! I would rather have a Catalina or San Juan anyway. Just tough to find one in Michigan that isn't a ground up resto.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online