Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trailering a Trihedral Hull Thunderbird

Trailering a Trihedral Hull Thunderbird 7 years 6 months ago #131074

My family has an old 1960's vintage 17' Thunderbird trihedral hull boat. I'd like to get it back in the water. First order of business though is replacing the trailer. Are there any special requirements for trailering a trihedral hull boat that I should be aware of? Are there any particular trailers that would be best? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trailering a Trihedral Hull Thunderbird 7 years 6 months ago #131075

My Chaparral is basically a cathedral hull, and the factory trailer is pretty standard. It's a 15' boat with an 85HP 'Rude, and the trailer uses a small 2000lb rated axle with a 5 lug, 14" wheel. The older trailer design is pretty light weight and the boat loads with the outer chines over the wheels. It's got cheap keel rollers on frame-mounted brackets with 2 sets of 4' bunks - one wide at the rear and one narrower toward the front that I added. The only thing I'd watch for is clearance on the front of the bow-keel transition as the boat transitions on/off the trailer. Because the cathedral part hangs down further it might drag on trailers with rear cross bars that didn't have a roller.

There were some photos of the trailer in my thread in the member project area, but the photos no longer show due to changes in Dropbox's sharing policies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: prkraus

Trailering a Trihedral Hull Thunderbird 7 years 6 months ago #131077

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
You can use pretty much any small boat trailer, it just has to be set up to match the hull. Bunks are usually the best for an even support and then a rollers up front under the keel/backbone.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: prkraus

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online