Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Barracudas

Barracudas 14 years 1 month ago #13019

Does any one have, or is there a group of pictures, some were in this GREAT FORUM, of the Arena Craft Barracudas?
The article written by Mr. Don Baker, in the Glassic Library, mentions Corvette windshields. Were all Corvette windshields one piece, or did they use other windshields?
I am trying to find out what year this Barracuda is. It has a two piece windshield. Is this an indication of a certain year, or a replacement?
I started this new Barracuda post, so I wouldn't step on any toes.
Let me know if I am wrong.
Thanks. old darb
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Barracudas 14 years 1 month ago #13042

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
O.D.: Do you actually own this boat.? or really sittin in a salvage yard.? . There is a Search feature here on the site that lists many back forum posts on Arena craft www.fiberglassics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=12804#p12804 letter #12 by MOTORHEAD states the center SPLIT post windshields were from the early 60''s.!

. I recall reading some kind of boating DESIGN site a few months ago , how his sons in Calif want to re-start the business. Our member JAG here should have the link . I will keep checking.
GOOD LUCK---Found it , boat DESIGN site maybe 8 pages on 21 custom.
www.boatdesign.net/forums/powerboats/dan-arena-boats-4648.html
ENJOY ..

Re:Barracudas 14 years 1 month ago #13052

Thanks Split,
Some where, either on this site or an other one, I said that I was trying to buy this boat, and wanted info on it. Yes it is in a salvage yard.
I am glad that I used "Barracuda" in the heading, it got your attention. The reason for calling it a Barracuda, I read the artical in Classics Library on Arena Craft. It mentions the Plymouth steering wheel and the Dodge hood ornament, this boat has them.
Those sites were a great help. From what I saw the boat that I am lookig at, is not a Barracuda. So now, what model and what year is it? These boats were built a lot longer than I thought.
The boat on #103 looks to be the same hull that I am looking at.
Thanks again.
darb

Re:Barracudas-Arena's 60's 14 years 1 month ago #13062

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
O.D. : Understand fully your position . My vote would be to grab / steal / or resonable offer this salvage yard before someone elso throws high stupid money at the scrappy. .Power blue color was on everything around 1961-62. Can get engine block #'s to also narrow range as date of mfg. . Think the dash gauges were added after 62 era.

.Yes the Barracuda's had vertical fins, with light on very top. Had taken pictures of restored stuff at Mt Dora ,Fla in prior shows. If there are 12 of these models, then collector $$'s are sort of known by another resale. .If your model / style looks close to a 59 Chevy & or Reinell outboard (very $$), & only one other known, maybe that forum #103 model, this yard boat will also be desirable. Should be about 19 ft model ? maybe 18'.. Chris Craft also had sporty early 70 xl-19 that inboard collectors are searching both sides of the Atlantic.! Glasspar also had a short run (Don sporty??) as all Donzi speedsters. Our hobby is still early in our growth, & all speedsters will be valuable.. Yes inboards can be more costly to rebuild than, mounting a newer outboard... Let us know how much you PICKED it for .?

Re:Barracudas 14 years 1 month ago #13072

wow darb,thats a cool looking old boat,do you have any pics of the whole boat,i sure would love to see them.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Barracudas 14 years 1 month ago #14457

Thanks to every one for your help and information. So far I have found out that she is not a Barracuda. What model she is, I still don't know. From the Interceptor timeing cover the engine was a 312 and was built in 1960. So the boat could either be a '60 or a '61.
I haven't started checking on the registration yet.
A little off the subject, but it is on the boat. How many of you remember, or have ever seen, the toilet paper oil filter. I had not seen one since 1961. It's the only one that I have ever seen in a boat. Beats spill oil in the bilge.
I hope I can find some one in the Reno, NV. area that has experance with replacing stringers. This hull would be a real bear to split.
Thanks again old darb.
Attachments:

Re:Barracudas 14 years 1 month ago #14458

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
O.D.: CONGRATS, it cleaned up well . Sure I remember those insert cartridge oil ,Purolator, filters.

. Someone in the Arena Craft owners group should have the e-mail for his sons on the west coast. They would tell you the model story , or volume build #'s.

Re:Barracudas 14 years 1 month ago #14462

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Sure I remember those insert cartridge oil ,Purolator, filters.

Me too, about the same era or a little after the oil bath air filters too.

Beautiful boat Darb, whatever model it is! Nice find.

Mark

Re:Barracudas 14 years 4 weeks ago #14485

You guys are on the right tack. I had a service station back then and I had acouple of "customers" that were so "thrifty" they brought their own toilet paper rolls in so they wouldn't have to buy the filter inserts.
old darb

Re:Barracudas 14 years 3 weeks ago #14954

It was common for boatbuilders to stockpile leftover engine production. As an example: back in the day, a new Correct Craft could be equipped with a brand new five-year-old engine.

Blest boater

Re:Barracudas 13 years 10 months ago #20269

Here is what a Barracuda looks like in the water. You see alot of them on trailers but in the water is where they look the best.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6650 guests and no members online