Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Imperial Runabout Boats

Imperial Runabout Boats 7 years 8 months ago #129771

Howdy Folks!
New to the forum here. Have to say, lots of great useful information here. As well as a lot of beautiful watercraft! I myself own a 1957 14' Cadillac Aluminum "Fishing" Boat.

I am looking to upgrade to a Runabout/ Open Bow boat. I found an Imperial in the Local Listings but not knowing much about Fiberglass boats I came here for guidance. Seller wants $2,250 Seller says he replaced the floor, transom was dry and in good shape, and put new water pump in the motor. Motor is a 1985 75 HP with power trim, runs good he says. He also said that a short time after waxing, it starts to get this light white film on it. Sounds like oxidation from what I have read here on the site. The boat itself is a 1994, so I know its not a "Glassic" But I thought maybe some folks here could shed some light on Imperial Boats. Can't find anything online about them. Are they a quality watercraft? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Imperial Runabout Boats 7 years 8 months ago #129772

1985 Mercury 75 HP
Attachments:

Re:Imperial Runabout Boats 7 years 8 months ago #129773

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome aboard! Always glad to see some fresh water come here.
A 26 year old boat may not be a "classic" per se but if you cruze around the site there are plenty of others that are in the same boat. The Merc people are going to love that motor. Looks like it's in really good condition and the interior looks almost new. There is always wiggle room for price negotiation. Look at KBB.com for the price, don't forget to add the trailer and motor. Oxidation is normal, try some McQuires auto polish, or something similar.Ffollow directions. Not wax but polish.
Attachments:

Re:Imperial Runabout Boats 7 years 8 months ago #129778

Thanks for the polishing tip! Looked at Blue Book value. His price is about right. A little high, but pretty close. What concerns me is the age of the motor. 32 years is a good amount of hours on the water. I have heard mixed reviews on the "Brown Bander" Mercury's. Are they built pretty good? Parts easily accessible? I have always owned Johnson's.

Re:Imperial Runabout Boats 7 years 8 months ago #129788

The 'brown band' Mercs were very good motors IMHO.
They are basically the same internally from 1975-1986, the later ones produced with 'low dome' pistons to aid in avoiding detonation.
The '84 & '85 model Mercs sported the brown & yellow decals.
Most general maintenance parts for the 75HP 4 cylinder Mercury are available, but sadly, Mercury Marine doesn't thoroughly support older model Mercs - and OMC typically does.
EBAY, and guys like me, continue to provide NLA parts to keep Mercs alive.
The 75 HP Merc is much more economically, weighs less, and will outperform a similar vintage OMC.
doc
Attachments:

Re:Imperial Runabout Boats 7 years 8 months ago #129791

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Do not listen to Dr. Frankenmerc he is clearly on the dark side :)
Mercs are good motors, I live a few miles north of the Merc home port in Fondulac, wi. If you plan on doing your own repairs and maintenance be prepared to spend $$$$ on special tools. On the other hand if you had a reliable OMC all you need is a 8" crescent and a few screwdrivers. Of course you already know that.

Re:Imperial Runabout Boats 7 years 8 months ago #129795

Thanks for the Info on The Merc Guys. Sounds like a well built motor. I do plan on doing my own maintenance and up keep. Unless I run into something down the line that I know I can not do. I try to stick with my Grandpa's old saying: "If Man Made it, I can Fix it". But we all know, sometimes that just doesn't happen!

You fella's know anything on the Imperial Boat Company? Can't find much about them online.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online