• Page:

TOPIC: Steering wheel question.

Steering wheel question. 7 years 9 months ago #129389

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Here is a picture of a popular wheel that a lot of boats have. Problem is that the silver paint inside the clear plastic center piece is fading and disappearing. How can I remove the silver paint without damaging the inside of the plastic. I want to splash color matching paint inside the centerpiece. Right now the piece is removed and stands alone where it's easy to work on.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Steering wheel question. 7 years 9 months ago #129390

If it's anything like an old Dodge horn button, that whole piece is probably clear and the silver paint is behind the plastic part. If there is a way to remove that whole center piece, you may be able to get to the silver painted area and remove the paint and then be able to reapply in the color of your choice. Be careful using chemicals though, as some strippers or thinners will actually melt the smooth plastic and really cloud up that clear plastic finish. In the case of a horn button, the medallion is held in a bezel by means of an "O" ring, maybe your center medallion is similar. Hope this helps.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:Steering wheel question. 7 years 9 months ago #129393

I had that same dilemma, same steering wheel. Never did come up with a satisfactory way to remove the interior silver paint with out scratching or "hazing" the inside plastic surface. I ended up painting the outside of the plastic part silver. It looks OK but not as nice as original.

Greg A.
Wisconsin

Re:Steering wheel question. 7 years 9 months ago #129394

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Greg - Marty. I'll be experimenting with this one and let you know how things turn out. Thinking of using some 000 steel wool or maybe some 2000 grit w/d on a popsicle stick, wash out with mineral spirits.
I've already back coated some scratched acrylic sheeting with enamel paints and it filled in the tiny scratches. You would never know it was scratched and I think the scratching would give the paint some bite. If nothing really works I'll put seat matching vinyl on it.
Attachments:

Re:Steering wheel question. 7 years 9 months ago #129405

Brake fluid will remove the paint without hurting the plastic. That is how I removed all the paint from my Tee Nee emblems.Just rinse it off with warm soapy water when you're done

Re:Steering wheel question. 7 years 9 months ago #129407

that's a attwood Riviera or attwood seaflight. be carefull the parts are very hard to find/. Bob

Re:Steering wheel question. 7 years 9 months ago #129409

not hard to find at all...just expensive because they gave such a big following

Re:Steering wheel question. 7 years 9 months ago #129415

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Should have thought of the brake fluid trick. I've used it before on brass and silverware that was painted.
Completely forgot about that, thanks for the reminder. Too late now though.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online